phasma

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:06 AM

Fluxbox with stylish conky designs.

#22 TheShrubber

TheShrubber

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:36 AM

I kind of jump back and forth between Xmonad, MATE and KDE (yes, plasma is a bit overkill. But it`s the "everything usually just works desktop")
I`ve tried AwesomeWm tho', it`s pretty good. But i find myself wanting Xmonads way of tilling al the time.

#23 TheFunk

TheFunk

SUP3R 31337

• Binrev Financier
  • 187 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:32 PM

Seeing as this thread is still going, I just moved away from Gnome a few months ago in favor of Openbox. Now I find that I really want to try something like Awesome.

On my main desktop though, nothing provides more eyecandy than Compiz running as a standalone window manager with some conky/lua work. SO MUCH SHINY.

#24 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

Good old Fluxbox here. I've been working on getting some dockapps customized and/or rewritten for modern Linux kernels (ACPI monitoring dockapp, for example). I do use the XFCE terminal with Fluxbox tho, very good tabbed terminal with almost no dependencies.

#25 tekio

tekio

5(R1P7 |<1DD13

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:48 PM

1)Fluxbox
2)Mate

#26 haxin

haxin

Will I break 10 posts?

• Banned
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:09 AM

tty1-7 > *

Edited by haxin, 12 December 2012 - 05:11 AM.

#27 theboogymaster

theboogymaster

the 0ne

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:23 AM

1) Gnome 2
2) xfce

#28 Seal

Seal

Not a fan of clubs.

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

I switch DE's all the time. Right now, I'm onto Cinnamon, with Docky installed.

#29 army_of_one

army_of_one

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:30 PM

I'd say this scheme tops the rest of our desktops. Talk about an "upgrade." ;)

https://www.networkw...sing-windows-31

I do like how he accomplished all of his goals and has the same computing environment across radically different machines.

#30 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:19 PM

There are a surprising number of people using incredibly old systems for their day-to-day computing. Sparkler Filter is still using an IBM 402 electromechanical tabulator from the 1940's for their financial processing.

#31 29a

29a

the 0ne

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:21 PM

Unsurprisingly, I see a lot of people who know not the difference between a desktop environment, a window manager, and even distros!

Spoiler

#32 Bit Viper

Bit Viper

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

> Unsurprisingly, I see a lot of people who know not the difference between a desktop environment, a window manager, and even distros!

Ok... so were you going to actually provide some useful information, or just sit there and be all smug?

The days of rolling your own *nix from scratch are long gone. For mass market appeal, you have to trade off technical know-how for convenience -- there are zillions of options about everything, and most of them come nicely packaged and easy to install. It's not really practical to fault someone for not understanding the technical guts of things if they don't have much interest in it.

There are automobile purists out there who will scoff at anyone who drives a car with an automatic transmission and who do all their own engine work. Me? I can't drive standard, I don't understand anything that goes on under the hood, and I don't give a crap. I just want to use my car, and know that I can find someone who can fix it if it breaks.

And don't even get me started on the ham radio OTs who still insist that *real* radios have vacuum tubes and that doing away with the code requirement is tantamount to blasphemy. Sure, I could add crystals by hand and send CW with a straight key if I wanted... but not everyone is in the game for the same reasons.

The same principle applies to computers. Those who are interested will find a way to learn, but it's presumptuous to assume that everybody has to know the things that you do.

#33 eldiablo

eldiablo

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:35 PM

Most of the time just MATE although I will on occasion switch to LXDE, XFCE, or IceWM.

#34 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:19 PM

XFCE for my netbook, Gnome2/maybe kde for my desktop.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!