Photo
- - - - -

Right path for Infosec?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 zac199

zac199

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 05:08 PM

Hey binrev, I'm new here and I figured Id introduce myself by asking a question
about the path I'm taking.

I want to eventually get into Infosec. So I've started by getting accepted to college,
and am working towards my Bachelors in computer science.

On top of that I'm a member of the Air Guard, which is training me for my job in
"Cyber Surety" What is that?

I'm on here quite a bit, (lurking more then anything). And I read quite a few other blogs,
forums and other media pertaining to security in general.

So, do you think I'm heading down a good path to get into Infosec? Not that I can
change it for the most part :p. Just curious!

#2 serrath

serrath

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:16 AM

Hey binrev, I'm new here and I figured Id introduce myself by asking a question
about the path I'm taking.

I want to eventually get into Infosec. So I've started by getting accepted to college,
and am working towards my Bachelors in computer science.

On top of that I'm a member of the Air Guard, which is training me for my job in
"Cyber Surety" What is that?

I'm on here quite a bit, (lurking more then anything). And I read quite a few other blogs,
forums and other media pertaining to security in general.

So, do you think I'm heading down a good path to get into Infosec? Not that I can
change it for the most part :p. Just curious!

You're heading down a good path if you stay curious and want to know everything there is to know on how systems work. You're never going to know more than someone who's driven by curiousity, and knowledge and practice are your edge here. A military career or one in law enforcement does wonders for your credibility.

You don't need a computer science major, but it's a beautiful way to get a lot of knowledge from people who're excellent teachers and have a lot of tricks to share. Make sure your ethical character is clear and people have no qualms about teaching you security.

Edited by serrath, 11 May 2011 - 03:17 AM.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!