• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:24 PM

calling an ANAC number with OOMA with caller ID blocked shows the ANI as 786-279-3705 which is not even the same NPA as my OOMA phone number..

calling that number it sounds like it is being forwarded to a NIS recording after the first ring, the ring changes... "you have reached a number that has been disconnected or is no longer in service please check the number and try your call again - P U A M I 1 4"

#2 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

BinRev veteran

• Members
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 12:37 PM

Sounds like you've met a black route. Were you calling some place with a high USF rate by any chance?

#3 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 05:44 PM

Sounds like you've met a black route. Were you calling some place with a high USF rate by any chance?

i just dialed several toll free ANAC numbers... when my number is not blocked, it reads back my number as ANI... when calling with a blocked number the number above is what is read back as my ANI.. guess it could be a similar way to remain less traceable - such as how google voice gives out a false number for ANI when calling from a blocked number (that is when google voice doesn't just give an ANI fail)

#4 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 07:19 PM

i just found out the trick to unmask private callers with google voice..

you let the caller go to voicemail, then forward the voicemail from within google voice web interface to an email address (the instructions that i read says that it should be a non-gmail email address - i have not checked if this works or not...

first i got an unknown call on my GV number, let it go to VM, and i was able to get the number of the caller with this method - TNID shows that it is a verizon landline phone..

this got me curious...
so i forwarded my cablevision phone to the google voice number..
blocked my CID from my ooma line and dialed my home phone number...
when i did this trick i ended up unmasking the number (200) 000-0030
not what i expected - i assumed that i would either get the actual ooma number, or 786-279-3705 which shows up when i dial an ANI number with *67 from the ooma line
this test was done to see if call forwarding a number to a GV voice mail would help to unmask CID - further testing needs to be done..

my second test was to call the GV number directly with a blocked CID from the ooma line - doing the trick to unmask the CID provided nothing in the place where the number would normally appear..

so ooma seems to be pretty good at keeping your privacy when making calls..
and here i am letting it sit and collect dust in my closet for over a year...

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!