• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:19 PM

Im trying to get away from wireless if possable, but i am not sure if i know how to run ethernet cables behind my wall, and i also dont know where to get the female plugs. I found this thing below
http://www.netcomm.c...werline/np201av
Does it work and is it worth the money.
Or can someone please link me a place to buy wall female walljacks so i can so straight Ethernet to my computer? Thanks!!

#2 johnnymanson

johnnymanson

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:15 PM

I don't know about the Ethernet over power thing, but it seems pretty expensive to me. I doubt that it would be as reliable as a wired connection anyway. Wired is more secure and reliable than wireless. You can't beat it for speed either. If possible run the wire. The wall jacks make terminating easy. You can get them at Bestbuy, Staples or Radio Shack. If you want to order them here is a link to Newegg.

http://www.newegg.co...6-030-_-Product

Here is how you connect the jack.

Its not as hard as it looks. You can get away with using a small screwdriver if you don't want to buy a punchdown tool.

Good luck.

#3 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:25 PM

You can get away with using a small screwdriver if you don't want to buy a punchdown tool.

do not do this... you will likely damage the jack... if really in a bind, and you do not have a punch down tool, you can usually just crimp down on the plastic cover that fits over the terminations with a plier or something, and that *should* punch the pairs down.. you could always get a cheap non impact punch down tool to punch down the jacks...

if you have an attic above, or a basement/crawl space below... it would be rather simple to snake the wires thru the walls with minimal damage to the drywall.... i would go wired.. but then again, thats what i do every day..

as mentioned before.. just about anywhere has the cat 5 inserts.. home depot, lowes... staples and radio shack probably even have them.. but you are probably best to get them from an alarm or telecom supply store..

if you are in 718 i'll even give you a hand full if you need..

Edited by nyphonejacks, 25 April 2011 - 08:52 PM.

#4 johnnymanson

johnnymanson

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:32 PM

Nyphonejacks is probably correct about the screwdriver. Listen to him and don't use it.

#5 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:08 PM

Nyphonejacks is probably correct about the screwdriver. Listen to him and don't use it.

wow... i just actually watched the video that you posted... this guy looks like he is struggling to put that jack together.. i would not want him to do any wiring on any of my jobs... he can help me pull cable - so that it does not kink.. but not do any terminations...

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!