• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

DDP r0x0rz my s0x0rz

• Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 02:47 AM

So a while back, I stumbled upon a pretty interesting trick. For shits and giggles, I'd tried calling a number of odd things on various long distance carriers, but I'd never tried dialing *just* the carrier access code and nothing else. So what was the worst that could happen?

So to demonstrate this, I'm going to be using Electric Lightwave's network; carrier access code 0802. From my house, calls to their network home off of a DMS-200 in Seattle. Keep in mind, this is a network I don't subscribe to.

http://thoughtphreak...2_dialtone.flac

To me, that's nothing but outright awesome. I just picked up, dialed 101-0802#, and got a dialtone straight from the long distance tandem. The diaplan in some situations, this one included, is almost exactly the same as if you just picked up and dialed normally. To those of you without any inventiveness, this might come as a total letdown, but it's actually very useful. Take for example, this call;

http://thoughtphreak..._800223110.flac

Some carriers *cough*AT&T*cough* will allow you to complete calls to toll-free numbers sometimes if you don't subscribe to their CAC, even though you're technically never supposed to put a CAC before a toll-free. So, I tried to dial 1-800-223-1104, but only got ten digits in before it interrupted me. This isn't the only example of things you can't dial at the dialtone, either; Sprint will even let you dial numbers starting with # from their tandem switch.

Like any trick, though, this comes with it's limits. While there's stuff like Worldcom's 0555 network that lets you get a dialtone no matter how you come in, there's a good few carriers that won't let you do this unless you buy service from that specific CAC. So how you fare with this can be sort of the luck of the draw.

#2 JmanA9

JmanA9

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:19 PM

I think I've tried this with the major carriers, but I think I got a reorder. This technique has a lot of potential to uncover interesting things. Unfortunately, I won't be able to try this again for a few more weeks; I can't risk billing a call on my present landline.

Have you tried dialing up a CAC, getting their dialtone, and dialing another CAC? I don't know how the hell they would bill that call....

#3 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

DDP r0x0rz my s0x0rz

• Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:45 PM

Have you tried dialing up a CAC, getting their dialtone, and dialing another CAC? I don't know how the hell they would bill that call....

A few times, yeah. It doesn't work like a traditional dialtone, so I think they don't bother trying to interconnect with other carriers unless it's used to some degree as an end office. That was definitely the case with AT&T; for the most part, only AT&T toll-frees would work, or numbers that historically once had AT&T service. Think, 800-555-TELL, or Delta's toll-frees.

If you feel a little shy about this sort of activity, this'll work from ACTS payphones. COCOTs too, if you're the persuasive type.

#4 JmanA9

JmanA9

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:00 PM

I have a feeling that on some small LD reseller's CAC, you might get a regular dial tone. It's a long shot.

I finally re-punched my landline into my 66 block and gave this a shot. It's subscribed to Windstream/Sprint LD. When I dial 1010333#, I get a recording that says my long distance service is temprarily disconnected. Strange! I got reorders on 288 and 222 as I guessed I would. That's all for now.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!