16 replies to this topic

#1 mifitso

mifitso

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 07:55 PM

hey guys,
my university turned off my internet because of copyright violation (downloading shit). i was wondering if there was any way i could get access back by changing my mac address or something like that.
a little info about the school's network:
its unsecured but you have to sign in with your university account the first time you connect a device.
i dont know if this helps, but it is some info from the violation notice email they sent me.
IP Address: 10.196.251.34
Time: 04/09/2011 09:11 PM PST
Mac Address: 00:00:00:00:00:00
Network: BitTorrent
thanks!

#2 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,075 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:20 AM

hey guys,
my university turned off my internet because of copyright violation (downloading shit). i was wondering if there was any way i could get access back by changing my mac address or something like that.
a little info about the school's network:
its unsecured but you have to sign in with your university account the first time you connect a device.
i dont know if this helps, but it is some info from the violation notice email they sent me.
IP Address: 10.196.251.34
Time: 04/09/2011 09:11 PM PST
Mac Address: 00:00:00:00:00:00
Network: BitTorrent
thanks!

Your MAC address already shows as 00:00:00:00:00:00 so it doesn't look like that is what they blocked. It sounds like they blocked your account itself. What happens if you have someone else log in to your same computer? Are IP addresses hardcoded to each dorm room somehow? They may have simply blocked the IP address. Again, log into a friends computer with your account and see if you can access the interweb from their computer (or a library computer).

If you do work something out with a friend, dont be a buddy-fucker and get them banned also.

#3 mifitso

mifitso

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 02:24 PM

Thanks for the response StankDawg.
Well the thing is that you only log in with your account once, then the device is "attatched" to your account from then on. I can go to a library computer and log in with my account and it works fine but thats on a different network im pretty sure. Even when I try to go on the wireless in the dorms or around campus with my old computer (tied to my university account also) it is blocked also. So Im pretty sure they blocked my account on the wireless network in the dorms and around campus. If I could somehow make it so the network thinks that my laptop is connecting for the first time I would simply be able to log in with a friends account and go from there. At this point I'm just trying to be able to do my online homework in the convienence of my dorm room, not even thinking about downloading more shit.

#4 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 02:50 PM

Thanks for the response StankDawg.
Well the thing is that you only log in with your account once, then the device is "attatched" to your account from then on. I can go to a library computer and log in with my account and it works fine but thats on a different network im pretty sure. Even when I try to go on the wireless in the dorms or around campus with my old computer (tied to my university account also) it is blocked also. So Im pretty sure they blocked my account on the wireless network in the dorms and around campus. If I could somehow make it so the network thinks that my laptop is connecting for the first time I would simply be able to log in with a friends account and go from there. At this point I'm just trying to be able to do my online homework in the convienence of my dorm room, not even thinking about downloading more shit.

Yes, if you spoof your MAC address, and log in via your buddy's creds you should get in.. Clear your cookies first though, just in case. As Stank said, don't be buddy-fucking your friend though. Surely you don't want to sniff the wifi and assume someone else's MAC. That'd be wrong, plus when you log in to do your assignments, it can be tracked back to you as a person if they have a clever Admin.

Time to humble up and go meet with the Network Admin. Take your scolding and they're likely to turn it back on for you. Oddly enough, today in my networking class the teacher had our campus's Networking Admin come in to describe the network. She even mentioned what they do when they get a copyright notice. They give us 3 strikes.. First 2 are just emails, the 3rd they cut you off until you go down and talk with them. From her tone, I figure it's really not a big deal.

Edited by PurpleJesus, 25 April 2011 - 02:55 PM.

#5 mifitso

mifitso

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:43 PM

Thanks for your response PurpleJesus, I like your avatar.

Well then my next question is what is the best/easiest way to spoof my mac, I tried using IronGeeks MADMacs, but it didnt seem to change my mac after I rebooted, but I may have been using it wrong.

As far as going into the office and talking to them; this is my 3rd copyright violation and I have already been into see them and they said they won't turn it on until the first week of June at the earliest.

#6 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:40 PM

Well then my next question is what is the best/easiest way to spoof my mac, I tried using IronGeeks MADMacs, but it didnt seem to change my mac after I rebooted, but I may have been using it wrong.

As far as going into the office and talking to them; this is my 3rd copyright violation and I have already been into see them and they said they won't turn it on until the first week of June at the earliest.

Generally, in my experience, a mac will reset to factory default when it's power cycled. try it again, but don't reboot this time. Also you might need to bring the interface down before changing the mac, then re-up it.
What OS are you using?

if your cell phone has a data plan, have you considered looking into tethering?

Edited by PurpleJesus, 25 April 2011 - 09:43 PM.

#7 mifitso

mifitso

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:48 PM

When you say bring the interface down you mean turn off the adapter and all that junk?

As far as tethering, I feel like I would need faster speeds than just 3G, but I dont even know if my phone can do it. (Motorola Droid, Verizon)

Im running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

#8 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:00 PM

When you say bring the interface down you mean turn off the adapter and all that junk?

As far as tethering, I feel like I would need faster speeds than just 3G, but I dont even know if my phone can do it. (Motorola Droid, Verizon)

Im running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

by bring it down, I mean disabling it (ifconfig wlanX down), changing the mac, then reenabling it. I've no idea how it's done on a windows box. Also I'm not even sure if you can change the mac. You may need patched drivers to do it.

Irongeek has a page on it: http://www.irongeek....urity/changemac
but it doesn't include win7 as far as I glanced over it.

#9 mifitso

mifitso

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:48 PM

Forgive my ignorance but can you please explain "ifconfig wlanx down", I'm not sure what that means. I have an xp laptop that I will try the tool on and see if it works. I'm also working on installing ubuntu on my laptop because its really easy to change a mac on linux right?

#10 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 03:10 AM

sorry, this would probably be a link better suited at some of the other forums that i go on....
but perhaps macory.com might help you with the mac address...

#11 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:52 AM

Forgive my ignorance but can you please explain "ifconfig wlanx down", I'm not sure what that means. I have an xp laptop that I will try the tool on and see if it works. I'm also working on installing ubuntu on my laptop because its really easy to change a mac on linux right?

ifconfig:
it's a command line instruction that lets you configure networks interfaces.

ifconfig wlanX down:
it take the interface wlanX down. You generally won't have an interface wlanX, it'll be like wlan0, wlan1, or wlan2; or eth0, eth1; or something along those lines. for of a list of them, see ifconfig.

changing the mac on linux easy? yep.

Have you thought about just getting a cable modem or DSL? I think that's the simplest solution to your problem.

#12 johnnymanson

johnnymanson

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:00 PM

I like the idea of tethering your Droid. I've been doing that for a while with mine. I usually get better than 1Mb/s download speeds. That's better than the speeds at most Universities I have been too.

#13 mifitso

mifitso

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 02:54 PM

Alright so I installed Ubuntu on my laptop and everything went smooth. When I went to try and change the MAC address using "ifconfig wlan0 down he ehter blah blah blah" is said it couldnt assign the requested address or something like that.

I used IronGeeks MadMACs tool on my xp box and it successfully changed the mac and I was able to fool the network. So changing the MAC definitely works.

I guess I could try tethering to my Droid, I'll let you guys know how it works out for me.

#14 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:18 PM

Alright so I installed Ubuntu on my laptop and everything went smooth. When I went to try and change the MAC address using "ifconfig wlan0 down he ehter blah blah blah" is said it couldnt assign the requested address or something like that.

I used IronGeeks MadMACs tool on my xp box and it successfully changed the mac and I was able to fool the network. So changing the MAC definitely works.

I guess I could try tethering to my Droid, I'll let you guys know how it works out for me.

In ubuntu, did you do it as root? (sudo ifconfig wlanX down)

Also try using macchanger ("sudo apt-get install macchanger" to get it,) ("sudo macchanger -r wlanX") do a iwconfig to figure out what your wifi device name is.

#15 mifitso

mifitso

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:59 PM

even when i use sudo it still doesnt work.
i will try the macchanger.

#16 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 09:59 PM

even when i use sudo it still doesnt work.
i will try the macchanger.

Sometimes it helps to disable the wireless network manager before changing macs.

#17 mifitso

mifitso

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 01:12 AM

I was able to change the mac address, but sadly when I connected to the wireless network in the dorms, the mac address got changed back to the blocked one. Very frustrating...

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!