• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

BinRev veteran

• Members
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 06:23 AM

Level3 Communications and Global Crossing, aka the voice carriers I give the least amount of a shit about, are now the same company! From a network standpoint, Global Crossing is a bit mysterious. According to the third to last article in a zine, they run a network of Alcatel DEX and Sonus switches, but as far as I know, you can't really hear anything on their network unless you pay to get service from them.

As for Level3, I'm in the dark. I know in their rampant buying of every vaguely data-related communications company that's ever existed, they've made up some kind of long distance network to compliment their local operations. What it actually consist of is beyond me, though.

From a data standpoint, Level3 needs no introduction. I'm surprised they'd want Global Crossing's data network, though. I've heard multiple ISP employees tell me there network is nothing but a nuisance; lots of packet loss, and nobody wanting to fix it.

#2 dmine45

dmine45

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:11 AM

This shall be interesting. I recently changed LD providers to Pioneer Telephone, which resells Global Crossing. I don't make many LD calls from my landline (mostly for testing). For the most part they're OK but sometimes call completion times take forever (in this modern age of SS7, anything that takes more than a second is too long!). So I wonder what Level 3 will do for the LD side of GC?

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!