• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:05 PM

did not get a chance to set up the hardware yet... there are no drop ceilings, so i had to get into access hatches, and cut up some walls to get the wires in place... all of the cabling is run - well i only brought a box of cat 5 with 750 feet left, the longest run is 120ft - i did not check the length of the other 2 runs... but hopefully all works well once i get back there tomorrow and connect everything up in the rack - one of the old TV mounts did not fit on the new TV so i need to get a new wall mount for one of the TVs.. so that will increase the cost of the job a little, and since i need to go back, i will see if he wants me to pull an extra cable for the internet features of the TVs..

the motion sensing tech seems really interesting with these TVs

oh... and it is in a building that is owned by sony... not sure if it is "the" sony building in NYC or if there are other sony buildings or not.. but that is probably why everything is sony....

#22 Afterm4th

Afterm4th

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 01:36 AM

w00t this thread reached page two. let us know how it goes!!

#23 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 09:53 PM

1- everything is mounted and installed..

2- the matrix switch seems pretty sweet

3- the HDMI over CAT5 extenders that I purchased and installed work fine with the cable boxes, (the images appear slightly blocky, but not sure if i am being too critical of the video or if it is related to the connectors - TV shows 1080i on a high def cable channel, and 480i on a SD channel so i assume that it is sending HD fine) however - NO signal is sent when using either the DVD player or Bluray player. I was not able to get SABRENT (the manufacturer) on the phone today probably because it is easter sunday... but it appears the problem is with the extenders, when connected to a TV directly with an HDMI cable they work fine, when connected directly to an extender (bypassing the matrix switch) there is no signal so it is not the matrix switch (well if the matrix switch also has a problem i will not be able to know until the extender problem is fixed.. the menu screen or audio will not even be sent over the HDMI over CAT5 extenders that I got... am I going to have to get $200 HDMI over CAT5 baulns, or an HDMI amplifier (as suggested by a worker at the sony store

4- interesting telecom history of the building that i accidentally came across - it used to be ATT headquarters before sony moved in http://en.wikipedia....lding_(New_York)

5- i have taken a few photos, since i have to go back i will probably take a few more when the job is "finished"... i really need to get this done, because a: i need to get paid b: the customer needs this ready for when they reopen on wednesday...

#24 Afterm4th

Afterm4th

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:35 AM

3- the HDMI over CAT5 extenders that I purchased and installed work fine with the cable boxes, (the images appear slightly blocky, but not sure if i am being too critical of the video or if it is related to the connectors - TV shows 1080i on a high def cable channel, and 480i on a SD channel so i assume that it is sending HD fine) however - NO signal is sent when using either the DVD player or Bluray player. I was not able to get SABRENT (the manufacturer) on the phone today probably because it is easter sunday... but it appears the problem is with the extenders, when connected to a TV directly with an HDMI cable they work fine, when connected directly to an extender (bypassing the matrix switch) there is no signal so it is not the matrix switch (well if the matrix switch also has a problem i will not be able to know until the extender problem is fixed.. the menu screen or audio will not even be sent over the HDMI over CAT5 extenders that I got... am I going to have to get $200 HDMI over CAT5 baulns, or an HDMI amplifier (as suggested by a worker at the sony store

4- interesting telecom history of the building that i accidentally came across - it used to be ATT headquarters before sony moved in http://en.wikipedia....lding_(New_York)

5- i have taken a few photos, since i have to go back i will probably take a few more when the job is "finished"... i really need to get this done, because a: i need to get paid b: the customer needs this ready for when they reopen on wednesday...

I would definately like to see the photos.

My first thought is that it has to do with the HDMI handshake.

I forgot all about the sony store. Make friends with those guys and Im sure they'll help you, especially if you buy stuff there and tell them you'll be a returning customer. They may be a much better resource than anyone if you show them that you're dealing with strictly sony.

Is returning the gear that you bought possible? Would the guys at the sony store give you a better solution than those extenders?

for reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

#25 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:38 AM

I would definately like to see the photos.

My first thought is that it has to do with the HDMI handshake.

I forgot all about the sony store. Make friends with those guys and Im sure they'll help you, especially if you buy stuff there and tell them you'll be a returning customer. They may be a much better resource than anyone if you show them that you're dealing with strictly sony.

Is returning the gear that you bought possible? Would the guys at the sony store give you a better solution than those extenders?

for reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

i told the sony guys that all the hardware minus the extenders and matrix switch were sony (the matrix switch that they use in the sony store is some other brand - i forgot what the guy told me) + the work was being done in the restaurant in the sony building right behind their store) the one guy never heard of running CAT5 over HDMI, while the other guy said they did not carry anything like that, but recommended me to a store in the city, but told me that "HDMI is picky" and that i probably need an amplifier that "is not cheap" for about $170 (each) so they are about as helpful as the people who work in radio shack...

#26 Afterm4th

Afterm4th

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:51 PM

hmm damn.. you'd think that they'd help you a lil more considering you're working at the fritkin sony building with sony TVs and bluray players.

Can you exchange the hardware for other hardware?

#27 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 06:39 PM

fixed... and it was something stupid too...

i signed up at AVS forums and asked over there for any suggestions... someone said to set the resolution for the players to 1080i... i assumed that this was going to be a long shot, and did not even want to bother with the hour and a half trip on the subway just to try this, but at this point i was desperate, it has to be "live" on Wednesday... guess what... thats what the problem was.. the default setting is AUTO... you would think that that would work, but apparently not... so setting the source to 1080i resolved the problem..

i know i promised some photos, but looking in my phone i only took 2 pics.. and did not think to take any more today.. the 2 photos are just the baulns on a table, and the TV with the bauln mounted on the wall beneath it.. nothing really worth uploading..

#28 Afterm4th

Afterm4th

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:03 PM

so did you finish the job?

did you run extra cat5e for the internet features of those TVs? that would be impressive for the place if you did..

#29 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 03:06 AM

so did you finish the job?

did you run extra cat5e for the internet features of those TVs? that would be impressive for the place if you did..

job is finished.. i have to add 150 to the initial price, due to having to buy a mount for 1 of the 3 TVs the other 2 fit on the existing mounts.. only thing left to do now is get paid..

because i did not have enough CAT5 when i did the install, and because the profit margin for this job was so thin - and the fact that they do not currently have internet at the location i did not pull any wires for the internet features... plus i figure that I will leave that for a future visit for a nearly all profit visit in the future...

now i can add commercial HD installations to the various wiring installs that I can provide.. next time the price for something will start out around $2,000

Edited by nyphonejacks, 26 April 2011 - 03:07 AM.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!