#1 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:29 PM

http://nanpa.com/pdf/PL_402.pdf

http://www.nydailyne...t_saturday.html

929 area code starts tomorrow in NYC (overlays 212/718/917/646/347)... 929-222-9901 is the test number...

not much else to say...

interesting poll from the news article linked above...
http://www.nydailyne...929=1&vote=vote

shows that most people find 212 the most important NYC (65%) area code followed by 718 (20%) and that not too many people care about the other 4 (including this new NPA) which are mostly provided to cellular and VoIP phones each getting only between 2-7%
*percentages are from the time that i made this post, which may change as more people vote in the poll

#2 JmanA9

JmanA9

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:04 PM

I can't get through to the test number on my VZW cell phone, my AT&T calling card, or through voip.ms.

#3 dmine45

dmine45

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:13 AM

The 929 test number has been very hard to reach. It appears to be difficult to get to it from outside the NYC area unless you have a carrier that will connect directly to the LATA tandem in NYC.

VZLD is one carrier that can reach the 929 test number, but suprisingly enough MagicCrap ™ can reach it too. Again, it depends where they enter the local PSTN.

#4 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

DDP r0x0rz my s0x0rz

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:21 PM

Funny you should say that, it worked on direct dial Qwest/AT&T/Sprint/MCI for me. Worldcom not so much. Jman, which network is your VZW phone using? I've heard they like to switch between Worldcom and the pre-MCI VZLD every so often.

It appears to be difficult to get to it from outside the NYC area unless you have a carrier that will connect directly to the LATA tandem in NYC

That would explain why FailureJack works then. Their interconnection agreements are all based on using deceptive tactics with whoever operates the intra-LATA tandem. If you haven't read TProphet's 2600 article on the subject, go back to about 2006 or so, when everyone was racking up a ton of money with DIDs in the middle of Iowa.

"Hey there, can I interconnect with you guys? I have a *lot* of inbound traffic, and I think it'd be awesome if you paid a fuckton of money for it."
"Uhh, no. If you want to do business, you're doing a bill and keep arrangement."
"Is that really what you want?"
"Yup"
"'kay"

And they pretty much did this in every major calling area around the country. And then every local carrier in the country realized they just got fucked with a rusty crowbar the second the As Seen on TV ads started rolling.

#5 ticom

ticom

• Moderating Team
  • 420 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:35 PM

I can remember when 212 split-off the 718 area code. That made for some interesting discoveries on the network.

EXC-99xx is the usual test number range for (what was once) New York Telephone. IIRC, EXC-9901 will often play a recording of the exchange name.

#6 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:44 PM

yea, at least on verizon owned thousands blocks Nxx-9901 is the verification recording that will usually tell you what central office that you reached, and in many cases what other exchanges are served by that CO... if i remember correctly 9902 or 9903 is the number to reach a COT @ that CO... not that you should call and bother the COT's as they are usually busy helping I&R and CXM test/tone pairs...

#7 ticom

ticom

• Moderating Team
  • 420 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:57 PM

yea, at least on verizon owned thousands blocks Nxx-9901 is the verification recording that will usually tell you what central office that you reached, and in many cases what other exchanges are served by that CO... if i remember correctly 9902 or 9903 is the number to reach a COT @ that CO... not that you should call and bother the COT's as they are usually busy helping I&R and CXM test/tone pairs...

Funny how some things haven't changed in 30 years. Sometimes I miss living down in 914, as NYNEX and Citizens seemed to be much more interesting Telcos then SNET.

#8 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

DDP r0x0rz my s0x0rz

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:04 PM

I can't argue about Citizens, but are you sure SNET isn't all that interesting? I think their strange recordings, EWSDs, and test numbers all conveniently laid out within 09xx are especially cool.

#9 JmanA9

JmanA9

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:32 PM

Jman, which network is your VZW phone using? I've heard they like to switch between Worldcom and the pre-MCI VZLD every so often.

It seems depend on what location I'm calling.

Edited by JmanA9, 25 April 2011 - 08:32 PM.

#10 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:50 PM

Jman, which network is your VZW phone using? I've heard they like to switch between Worldcom and the pre-MCI VZLD every so often.

It seems depend on what location I'm calling.

anyone know if they have given out any numbers in this NPA yet?

#11 JmanA9

JmanA9

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 08:43 PM

anyone know if they have given out any numbers in this NPA yet?

Telcodata has some exchanges listed. I still can't dial any of them through VZW.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!