• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Archistrage

Archistrage

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:14 PM

I've been working on building a BruteForce Password Cracker in C#. I've managed to max out at about 360,000 attempts per second for MD5. I'm trying to compare this to other password crackers such as JTR. I'm well aware that JTR is much more efficient seeing as how it's written in C, but when I had JTR do a benchmark test on my computer, and it said that the FreeBSD MD5 was at 5,500 c/s. From what I've read, the FreeBSD MD5 is much slower than regular MD5. Unfortunately I can't find an implementation in C#.

So I'd like to find out how my Cracker compares to what else is out there. Most of the articles on the web about Password cracking are about ten years old, so there estimates are out of date.

Thanks,
Archistrage

#2 mSparks

mSparks

elite

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:42 PM

MD5 is 128bit?

even 360k/s is a no go i'd guess?

#3 Archistrage

Archistrage

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:28 PM

MD5 is 128bit?

even 360k/s is a no go i'd guess?

As I suspected, working in C# is bound to slow things down considerably.
Could you give me an estimate on how many c/s a good cracker would have? Not one of the ones that can run off a graphics cards, but on an average desktop computer.

EDIT: Whoa, I'm starting to see what you mean. I ported my code over to C, and I'm getting over 2.7 mill c/s. Big difference. Is that about what the average is, or should I be expecting to see more?

Thanks,
Archistrage

Edited by Archistrage, 19 April 2011 - 12:46 PM.

#4 ph0b1a

ph0b1a

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:37 AM

you might want to try using gpu's as cracking utilities, just an idea, ik that there are already a few programs out there, but none of them fully support a large range of diff cards.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!