• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:42 AM

Im about to replace my old Mobo here with a nice more powerful new one here.

But before i do, i wanted to make sure i wasnt messing anything up. I have done this before, but i bought a kit basically that had everything already and was all meant to go together. I will need to get a new processor as well and as long as it fits, i will bet getting a Intel Core i5-650. I already have ram for it 240 pinn ddr2, but the board is ddr3. Will the older ddr2 mem work in it?

Also when i go about putting this new mobo and processor in, do/should i format and start fresh? If so, it isnt a problem, because i have all important stuff backed up.

Also, your preferred thermal compound?

Liquid cooling (y or n)? Cooling unit i had in mind

#2 tekio

tekio

5(R1P7 |<1DD13

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:50 AM

IDK about DDR2 and DDR3 compatibility, and am too lazy too google it right now. Just thought I'd add my 2 cents on liquid cooling.

I'd not recommend it, unless you're gonna do some serious overclocking and need it. IMO, the more complicated stuff is, the less reliable it is. I've overclocked a 2.8 Q9550 to 3.5GHZ (pics were in the gallery) and it was stable as heck. That was with and nVidia chipset, that was known to run extra hot, too. Of course with the two 250mm side-fans, two internal 120mm fans, and a third-party zalman heatsink/fan it sounds like small vacuum when running full throttle on hot summer days....

EDIT: thermal compound; I've yet to find anything affordable as good as arctic silver 5. A small tube for about $20.00 will last 10 or so builds. Just be sure to learn to apply it properly! I've seen so many people that just splurge, thinking extra compound will work better. When in fact, too much, will actually insulate the CPU.

Put about the size of a grain of rice on the heatsink. Then spread it evenly with a razor blade or exacto knife. The coat should be thin and even across the entire copper placement of the heatsink. You could put it on the CPU, but I just hate handling them too much, as pricey as the damn things are... The heatsinnk can usually withstand a static discharge that would fry the CPU. You could also use rubber, medical gloves to spread it with your fingers. Just don't touch the heatsink copper placement or cpu with bare hands, though. I've read the oils from human contact will degrade the compound prematurely...

Edited by tekio, 13 April 2011 - 11:02 AM.

#3 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:04 PM

IDK about DDR2 and DDR3 compatibility, and am too lazy too google it right now. Just thought I'd add my 2 cents on liquid cooling.

I'd not recommend it, unless you're gonna do some serious overclocking and need it. IMO, the more complicated stuff is, the less reliable it is. I've overclocked a 2.8 Q9550 to 3.5GHZ (pics were in the gallery) and it was stable as heck. That was with and nVidia chipset, that was known to run extra hot, too. Of course with the two 250mm side-fans, two internal 120mm fans, and a third-party zalman heatsink/fan it sounds like small vacuum when running full throttle on hot summer days....

EDIT: thermal compound; I've yet to find anything affordable as good as arctic silver 5. A small tube for about $20.00 will last 10 or so builds. Just be sure to learn to apply it properly! I've seen so many people that just splurge, thinking extra compound will work better. When in fact, too much, will actually insulate the CPU.

Put about the size of a grain of rice on the heatsink. Then spread it evenly with a razor blade or exacto knife. The coat should be thin and even across the entire copper placement of the heatsink. You could put it on the CPU, but I just hate handling them too much, as pricey as the damn things are... The heatsinnk can usually withstand a static discharge that would fry the CPU. You could also use rubber, medical gloves to spread it with your fingers. Just don't touch the heatsink copper placement or cpu with bare hands, though. I've read the oils from human contact will degrade the compound prematurely...

Ordered them. As well as new memory and the CPU cooler i have listed.
Thanks tek you da best

#4 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 02:12 AM

id assume you have to reinstall the windows, as you know, changing out the motherboard/ram/processor, would be about the same as taking your drive and putting it in a different computer entirely, or cloning the drive and putting it on a different computer. linux should work as long as you have the modules/drivers needed as it checks on boot every time and obviously doesn't care about piracy.

#5 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:22 PM

id assume you have to reinstall the windows, as you know, changing out the motherboard/ram/processor, would be about the same as taking your drive and putting it in a different computer entirely, or cloning the drive and putting it on a different computer. linux should work as long as you have the modules/drivers needed as it checks on boot every time and obviously doesn't care about piracy.

Yeah i am going to reinstall windows. I plan on using windows 7.

I am looking for a way to install windows 7 from a usb drive. I know its possible, but i cant find a program that will let me install windows 7 to a usb drive if i am on xp, anyone suggest one?

#6 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:03 AM

I am looking for a way to install windows 7 from a usb drive. I know its possible, but i cant find a program that will let me install windows 7 to a usb drive if i am on xp, anyone suggest one?

whys from usb? jw

#7 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:09 PM

whys from usb? jw

Well you see, i made a noob mistake when i upgraded. I didnt notice this new mobo doesn't have IDE on it and my optical drive was a IDE. i bought a Serial ata one today, it should arrive tommarow, but i found a good program for it. WintoFlash. It was relatively fast and i was able to use my windows 7 recovery disk to get the iso and it made a bootable windows 7 disk on xp. Some programs dont do that.

That has passed. Now i am looking for a good fan controler. Does anyone sugest a night one that will fit into one of the optical drive bas on my case? i wanna stay away from coolmaster, cause i have had 2 die on me and tell me my cpu 5 was idle. Thanks
~5imp7y

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!