• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 variant3.cpp

variant3.cpp

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:37 AM

I am shopping for a USB wifi card. I have a Dell laptop with a PC mini card that is all but useless for war driving. I found a topic on this forum. But, it is from '07. Ok, this is what I have: A Dell M1730 running Windows Vista, Backtrack 4 Final and Ubuntu 10.10. Vista and Ubuntu are partitioned for dual boot. BT 4 is on VMware.

I have read a number of posts stating that Alfa Network is a great way to go. I was looking at the AWUS051NH with the Ralink RT2770 RT2750 chipset. Would this card be my best choice, or is there something better? I am most concerned with the cards performance while I am using BackTrack 4.

#2 CYB3R_THR34T

CYB3R_THR34T

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:20 AM

I am shopping for a USB wifi card. I have a Dell laptop with a PC mini card that is all but useless for war driving. I found a topic on this forum. But, it is from '07. Ok, this is what I have: A Dell M1730 running Windows Vista, Backtrack 4 Final and Ubuntu 10.10. Vista and Ubuntu are partitioned for dual boot. BT 4 is on VMware.

I have read a number of posts stating that Alfa Network is a great way to go. I was looking at the AWUS051NH with the Ralink RT2770 RT2750 chipset. Would this card be my best choice, or is there something better? I am most concerned with the cards performance while I am using BackTrack 4.

I am going to say get that adapter as I have one and it works great. I believe Alfa Network also has a 1w adapter, which would get you better range. BT4 works good with my Alfa AWUS051NH and if for some reason it don't work with yours, most of AWUS051NH adapters ship out with a BT3 Live CD. I cannot recommend a better adapter for you, and good luck with your wardrving.

#3 tekio

tekio

5(R1P7 |<1DD13

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 01:54 AM

^ *agrees*

You want an alfa w/ the Realtek RTL8187 chipset. This link might help you.

Edited by tekio, 12 March 2011 - 01:59 AM.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!