• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 CYB3R_THR34T

CYB3R_THR34T

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 04:41 PM

The question is in the description, namely what Word processors do you all like. I have used linux for a little while, but now want to move over to doing all my articles in Ubuntu 10.4. I still run windows but always start my VirtualBox as soon as I power on my computer. I am trying to move to Linux full time but have yet found all the programs I want. I just want you suggestion on what word processor I should use. Thanks for any replies.

#2 rainwater_stillicide

rainwater_stillicide

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 282 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:59 PM

The question is in the description, namely what Word processors do you all like. I have used linux for a little while, but now want to move over to doing all my articles in Ubuntu 10.4. I still run windows but always start my VirtualBox as soon as I power on my computer. I am trying to move to Linux full time but have yet found all the programs I want. I just want you suggestion on what word processor I should use. Thanks for any replies.

OpenOffice and LibreOffice are both pretty good and are probably the closest drop in replacements for Microsoft Office in terms of use (they are WYSIWYG).

If you are looking for something more powerful then it might be worth investigating LaTeX, which is a markup based typesetting system which lets you separate the content of your writing from its presentation.

#3 heisenbug

heisenbug

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:40 AM

LibreOffice is the open source fork off of OpenOffice. I would suggest LibreOffice.

Although I would suggest OpenOffice over Microsoft, even on Windows. They will open office documents, and save as them so you should be fine. The display on the "powerpoint" alternative slides are sometimes a little off, but can be fixed easily. Other than that a great alternative.

I always though Microsoft Works was the biggest oxymoron in technology.

#4 CYB3R_THR34T

CYB3R_THR34T

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:44 AM

Thanks for the reply guys. I might check out LaTeX as it may be what I need. As far as MS_Office goes, its nice when you have a volume license at the place you work.

Okay one more question, are there any compilers for basic that work in Ubuntu?

Edited by CYB3R_THR34T, 11 March 2011 - 01:16 PM.

#5 ShadowReaper

ShadowReaper

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 05:07 AM

LibreOffice is the open source fork off of OpenOffice. I would suggest LibreOffice.

Although I would suggest OpenOffice over Microsoft, even on Windows. They will open office documents, and save as them so you should be fine. The display on the "powerpoint" alternative slides are sometimes a little off, but can be fixed easily. Other than that a great alternative.

I always though Microsoft Works was the biggest oxymoron in technology.

Could you explain why should one choose LibreOffice over OpenOffice?

Edited by ShadowReaper, 12 March 2011 - 05:08 AM.

#6 heisenbug

heisenbug

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 09:25 AM

LibraOffice forked off of OpenOffice. The question you should ask is why was this product was needed and created in the first place. It's because Oracle recently acquired OpenOffice. Oracle is not continuing support of the open source projects it took over from Sun in the spirit of open source. The open source community is not too happy with them. Oracle tends to control the code tightly, and prefer their own developers develop the code. Many people in open source are shunning Oracle and will refuse to work further on OpenOffice.

It will probably continue to be freeware, but won't get a lot (if any) open source support, especially since Libra Office is out there now. Right now there isn't a lot different with them because the code fork just happened, but over time, LibraOffice will be developed on and embraced by the Open Source community. OpenOffice will not.

Can you tell this was written by an open source developer??? Ha, oh well. Honestly all bantering aside, without community support and involvement, features will be added that are unimportant to the end user and that cause bloat and important features that end users really need may not always be added. Libra Office will be a better product in general, both physically and ethically.

EDIT: FORGOT TO REPLY TO CYB3R_THR34T

http://www.thefreeco...ers/basic.shtml

Edited by heisenbug, 12 March 2011 - 09:33 AM.

#7 CYB3R_THR34T

CYB3R_THR34T

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 05:51 PM

LibraOffice forked off of OpenOffice. The question you should ask is why was this product was needed and created in the first place. It's because Oracle recently acquired OpenOffice. Oracle is not continuing support of the open source projects it took over from Sun in the spirit of open source. The open source community is not too happy with them. Oracle tends to control the code tightly, and prefer their own developers develop the code. Many people in open source are shunning Oracle and will refuse to work further on OpenOffice.

It will probably continue to be freeware, but won't get a lot (if any) open source support, especially since Libra Office is out there now. Right now there isn't a lot different with them because the code fork just happened, but over time, LibraOffice will be developed on and embraced by the Open Source community. OpenOffice will not.

Can you tell this was written by an open source developer??? Ha, oh well. Honestly all bantering aside, without community support and involvement, features will be added that are unimportant to the end user and that cause bloat and important features that end users really need may not always be added. Libra Office will be a better product in general, both physically and ethically.

EDIT: FORGOT TO REPLY TO CYB3R_THR34T

http://www.thefreeco...ers/basic.shtml

Thanks for the reply. I think I may be ready to make the move over to ubuntu full time here in a little bit.

#8 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 01:00 AM

i think ubuntu 10.10 (mm) comes pre loaded with open office? ive been using open office for awhile now and so far so good.

#9 CYB3R_THR34T

CYB3R_THR34T

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:22 AM

i think ubuntu 10.10 (mm) comes pre loaded with open office? ive been using open office for awhile now and so far so good.

It might, I just downloaded and installed it on my version. Thanks for the reply though, maybe next person who needs some of these answers will find this thread.

#10 heisenbug

heisenbug

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:13 AM

I wouldn't get into the habit of using software just because it was installed on your computer. I would use the best available software available. Installation isn't that difficult.

That said, Ubuntu going forward is not going to use OpenOffice due to the Oracle issues. It will be using LibreOffice in the next release (Ubuntu 11.04 on April 28, 2011), so if that is your operating system and you want to future proof your software I would still go with LibreOffice.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!