#1 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 04:13 PM

i just got this email today

Hello,

Gizmo5 is writing to let you know that we will no longer be providing service starting on April 3, 2011. A week from today, March 11, 2011, you will no longer be able to add credit to your account.
Although the standalone Gizmo5 client will no longer be available, we have since launched the ability to call phones from within Gmail at even more affordable rates.
Thank you,
The Gizmo5 Team

You have received this mandatory service announcement email to update you about important changes to your Gizmo5 account.

are they no longer providing SIP to PSTN service? are they stopping all SIP service?

making calls from within Gmail is not the same, it is not SIP, i can NOT use any softphone that I want. I can NOT use a SIP phone or ATA to make calls with...

I was really looking forward to what good things that Gizmo5 and google voice could have done together since google acquired gizmo5 a while back - but at least from the outside, and lack of news about anything coming from google it appears that they just sat on it, and now are getting rid of it.

#2 ic0n

ic0n

Fear teh phone!

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 06:52 PM

Pushing the google name onto everything they can.. Personally I think they are just trying to push everyone over to gtalk and try to make something out of that, it's been years since they dropped gtalk and how many people use it? Myself I used it once maybe twice. How many people here where using the standalone application for gizmo5? I'm pissed since I have to fix my pbxes.org setup soon...

#3 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:20 PM

Pushing the google name onto everything they can.. Personally I think they are just trying to push everyone over to gtalk and try to make something out of that, it's been years since they dropped gtalk and how many people use it? Myself I used it once maybe twice. How many people here where using the standalone application for gizmo5? I'm pissed since I have to fix my pbxes.org setup soon...

i never used the softphone that came with it... but i did have an ATA set up with my gizmo stuff on it for incoming calls from a google voice number...

thought google acquiring it would have been a good thing as they could have done some nice things with SIP and GV.. seems like everywhere i look online most people who have a GV number want to be able to connect to it with SIP...

#4 chronomex

chronomex

mad 1337

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:29 PM

I dunno about that man, every time *I* turn around it looks like someone wants to talk to Google Voice by H.323, not SIP.

;)

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!