• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 M_from_S

M_from_S

elite

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 December 2002 - 07:22 PM

I've recently moved and have switched from using DSL for the past four years to a cable modem. The technician just came on Monday and got everything set up. I was reviewing the paperwork and saw the following information on 'signal levels' - can anyone explain?

Signal Levels :

Low + 3.1
Mid + 5.7
High + 6.7
Return + 4.1

Power Level at 44

These were all handwritten on my invoice by the technician, he did the testing in the field. I should of asked him but he was in a rush to meet a buddy for lunch...

#2 holy_handgrenade

holy_handgrenade

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 December 2002 - 08:52 PM

Maybe someone will be able to get ultra-technical on this, but the cable system is basically a lot like DSL, which there's certain frequencies that are modulated in a way by the cable modem. Those signal strengths are "within spec" for data transmission.

A power spike on any of those frequencies will cause loss of integrity - or in some cases clear the way and open up your bandwidth. But I dont remember the exact significance of each frequency.

#3 inverse_arp

inverse_arp

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 March 2003 - 08:06 PM

the signal levels are could be dBm levels (signal or noise?). the return could be the loss in dBm. the power level could be a reference to the power level of the cable modem. 1-100 scale?
just a guess.

#4 inverse_arp

inverse_arp

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 March 2003 - 08:11 PM

a few cable modem links which might help find the answer
www.cablemodeminfo.com/cmbasicsx.html-ssi
www.iec.org/online/tutorials/cable_mod/index.html

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!