• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:00 PM

I bought a cheap Rosewill RNX-GX4 router from newegg the other day when it was damn cheap.

I was trying to make it into a universal wireless repeater. Had it working as a repeater, then tried to make it Universal.

Bricked it.

Lights come on, but nothing from the ethernet or wifi. Wiresharked it, and my laptop tried to get an address, I can see the lights on the router wink when it asks, but no reply ever comes back

Opened it up, and found what looks like it could be a JTAG port. Even found some info that it is, and the pinouts to try. Took a multimeter and tested the pin voltages and they were right (2 were 3.3, 2 were gnd).

I have an AVR_Dragon sitting around here. It says it can do JTAG. I'm on linux and have avrdude installed. When I try to set it in jtag mode I need a part number. The part numbers I have to choose from are all AVR chips.

Does anyone know how I could create a new 'part number' of this router so I can copy the firmware and everything else off a good router (I bought 2) and copy it over to the bricked one?

I've googled, but can't find anything about using the Avr_Dragon to jtag non AVR stuff.

#2 Philkill

Philkill

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:04 PM

You can use the AVR Dragon to send information over JTAG in the purpose of programming a chip.

But you can also simply use JTAG without the AVR Dragon, it may be simpler in fact.

I assume that you dont want to use avrdude on a non-AVR chip, that would be stupid.

If you want to program a PIC, you can use your JTAG (check specs) but I recommend getting some AVRs.

#3 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:18 PM

You can use the AVR Dragon to send information over JTAG in the purpose of programming a chip.

But you can also simply use JTAG without the AVR Dragon, it may be simpler in fact.

I assume that you dont want to use avrdude on a non-AVR chip, that would be stupid.

If you want to program a PIC, you can use your JTAG (check specs) but I recommend getting some AVRs.

Appreciate it. I have some AVR chips already. I just was wondering if I could use the Dragon to reflash the router since I already have one. I have no experience in JTAGing anything.
I had almost forgotten about this project. I need to figure out where those routers got off too.. I know there in this room -somewhere-.

#4 Philkill

Philkill

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:21 AM

Appreciate it. I have some AVR chips already. I just was wondering if I could use the Dragon to reflash the router since I already have one. I have no experience in JTAGing anything.
I had almost forgotten about this project. I need to figure out where those routers got off too.. I know there in this room -somewhere-.

1) Find your router.
2) Open it properly using screwdrivers.
3) Take high-definitions pictures of the board(s)
4) Upload the pictures somewhere.
5) Reply with links

Philkill

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!