• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 resistor X

resistor X

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:51 AM

Interesting what I just got when I called from my gmail inbox using the Google calling feature. I called the ANAC 800-444-4444 to see what it would show and I got :

760-705-8888
San Diego, CA.

I called the 760 # from the gmail interface and from my Qwest POTS line, and it's disconnected. Nice for staying anonymous.... while it lasts, but anyway....

This gmail account I called from is a very new one I opened and never used till just now. I also got this lil window about Google calling :

Posted Image

Just letting you know that one.... ^^........

Back to the topic :

When I call from the inbox using an older gmail account which is connected to a GV number, the same ANAC test shows as :

my GV number

When I called from the newer account above, I expected to get 646-558-0000 but instead I got the 760#.

Has anyone else gotten the 760# besides me? Or another # for that matter?

One last note :

Dialing *67 and calling my GV # results in ANIFAIL to the infamous 646-558-0000. Called via my Qwest POTS line.

I just now tested these, btw.

Edited by resistor X, 17 February 2011 - 12:53 AM.

#2 resistor X

resistor X

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:06 AM

Goog is one messed up inconsistent puppy.

Now I call from one of my GV #'s and it ANIFAILS every time, call from another GV # it never ANIFAILS.

Ok... Goog, get your act together already. Why this off/on, some numbers work and some don't crap? I have phreaking to do, so get with it already (as I said to nyphonejacks in irc, heh).

I wonder what is going on with Goog that is causing this sort of thing. If I owned a business and offered voice, I'd have it set up so that whatever it's capable of is consistently working. Goog, you need new people or something. <hint>

Edit : Ok, ok... I'm sitting here looking at my lil 3x5 memo notepad I had to buy just so I could keep notes on all this. I start a page with this heading "tested <date goes here>" and then write what GV does what, what gmail inbox calling interface results in ANIFAIL. I need to have this notepad for the obvious reason, which is : When things change, I can tear out the invalidated info and write in the update on another page.

All because Goog has an inconsistency problem. Well.... the GV issue is having this problem, does this also pertain to the gmail inbox calling feature as well? Does anyone know? If no one does or doesn't reply, I'll just run a bunch of tests myself if need be and find out that way - that may be inconvenient to put it mildly since the GV problem is off/on, working one week and not the next, so finding out my answer may literally take weeks - so keeping this in mind, hopefully you can see why I ask for input. That's a long long time worth of testing to do.

Of course, Goog is creating a problem already apparent to me with regards to their inbox calling - the latest news which I posted above is that it'll stay free for 2011. 2011? What about later Goog? Idiots. 2011.... hey Goog, like I won't be phreaking *after* 2011. Your reasoning on this is shall we say, lacking. Lol, not that they know I'm phreaking but a vent such as this is deserved anyway since at the very least it demonstrates their lack of having their stuff set up right and working consistently. I'm glad my Qwest POTS line isn't like this - I'd be a bit annoyed to find that one week I can make calls ok, then for 4 weeks I can't (not that you can't call at all sometimes, but it's similar for illustration purposes), and it keeps flip flopping. At least Qwest can keep, for the most part, whatever they offer consistently functional. I mean, how many times does calling from a GV # result in your not even being to complete said call correctly? Yet with my Qwest, I rarely get this issue. This fact shows Goog is lacking in more than one way.

To quote a football analogy : Goog, use Qwest's playbook. Copy the relevant moves and you'd have more satisfied users and could actually become a worthy rival to Qwest and the like.

Venting at this point... excuse it. heh.

So, to finish this post finally, I'll just ask : As I asked above, does anyone know if the gmail inbox calling has the same issue with ANIFAIL working off/on? Finding this out, as I said, would save me from weeks of testing.

Edited by resistor X, 18 February 2011 - 11:53 AM.

#3 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 789 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 06:19 PM

1: ANI fail is not a feature that google provides, it could be considered a problem or trouble - but it is not intended for use as an ANI fail. if it works great.. if not, do not complain about it, that was never the intention of GV

2: ANI fail being inconsistent has nothing to do with the ability for GV users to terminate calls...

3: GV is a FREE service.. you get what you pay for... lucky for all of us with GV you get much more then you pay for - in a good way - not sure comparing GV to POTS service is an accurate comparison, since GV is more of a companion service, and not an actual telephone service provider, you still need a POTS, VoIP, cell, or other means to access GV calling features...

4: i don't use Gmail so could not tell you, besides i lost my headset that connects to my PC with the built in mic... so *shrugs*

5: when the FUCK is google going to do something with gizmo5 so that you can use google voice as a SIP service?

#4 resistor X

resistor X

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:18 PM

1: ANI fail is not a feature that google provides, it could be considered a problem or trouble - but it is not intended for use as an ANI fail. if it works great.. if not, do not complain about it, that was never the intention of GV

2: ANI fail being inconsistent has nothing to do with the ability for GV users to terminate calls...

3: GV is a FREE service.. you get what you pay for... lucky for all of us with GV you get much more then you pay for - in a good way - not sure comparing GV to POTS service is an accurate comparison, since GV is more of a companion service, and not an actual telephone service provider, you still need a POTS, VoIP, cell, or other means to access GV calling features...

4: i don't use Gmail so could not tell you, besides i lost my headset that connects to my PC with the built in mic... so *shrugs*

5: when the FUCK is google going to do something with gizmo5 so that you can use google voice as a SIP service?

I see that during the course of my repeat editing of my own post above, I accidentally edited out when I said "I realize Goog didn't intend ANIFAIL, however I still want to gripe in their direction since they've messed it up for everyone because of whatever they did, little do they know. Fix it please, meaning whatever you did that messed this up, undo it." Fix it was meant figuratively.

Oops, oh well. Lol.

Seems I goofed twice with that post above. I didn't mean ANIFAIL had to do with the ability to terminate GV calls. I meant when it comes to GV disatifying me, 1st I can't ANI fail consistently and sometimes I can't complete calls correctly either, so for my uses GV is not measuring up and I wished they'd quit it. I was venting is all and messed up articulating myself, my bad again.

Actually I goofed 3-fold. Regarding the comparison to POTS, I meant that GV lets users make outbound calls as does a POTS, however I rarely get a termination issue with a POTS line while GV is way more often. So in that regard, they are not measuring up and people like Qwest have them beat. As a result, I was thinking, "Goog, if you want to be a competitor (with outbound, that is), you need improvement then."

Also, regarding the comparison, I also feel that while GV is a companion to a person's already existing service, it stinks overall and because of it I don't even use it as 'a companion' at all. How can I when it's way too unreliable? Overall, all it's good for is a phreaking project. If I tried to 'rely' on it for my important stuff, like my business, I'd lose customers and it's not worth it for me. So, given that, even though they would 'like' to have people use it as a companion to service, it sucks and sucks really so they can 'dream' all they'd like but it'll stay a dream unless they do something about it.

Hope I made myself clearer this time. Maybe I can blame my lack of articulation today on the modem hack I did a few days ago which messed up somewhat. In fact, I have to reset my modem because of it, so perhaps I really can use that as my out !..... jk. :blush:

Edited by resistor X, 18 February 2011 - 07:26 PM.

#5 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 789 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:40 PM

its all good...

i rarely dial out from GV for *real* phone calls - takes too many steps, the GV app for my blackberry does not seem to work properly most of the time...

but i do have my GV number (the main one that everyone knows) printed out on my business cards.. (i should really call people thru GV so that they do not call my cell directly) I prefer having customers having my GV number in place of my cell phone because...
1: if i do not pay my cell bill on time and it is disconnected for a day or two, they will still be able to at minimum leave a message
2: VM transcriptions texted to me, while it normally is not very accurate, it is usually accurate enough for me to know if it is a business call and if i should check the VM or call the customer back right away, or if i can hold off on calling them back
3: i can easily forward incoming calls based on CID

there are many reasons why I am a fan of GV - but it i admit there is still some features that I would like to see implemented before
1: fix the GV app for blackberry so that it works consistently
2: e-fax: easily implemented by detecting CNG tones then sending faxes to the email associated with your GV number
3: SIP - if they do something with gizmo5 they can do this..

the ANI fail "feature" is neat to play around with... and one of the easiest ways to remain "undetectable" but either way it is not a deal breaker for me if it were to go away permanently.. in fact when it was a true ANI fail many toll free numbers would not terminate, the false 646 number is a good compromise at protecting your true identity, although that number is likely unique to GV and would be rather simple for the phedz to trace back to you if you were to so something illegal enough for them to invest their time and resources

#6 resistor X

resistor X

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:49 PM

its all good...

i rarely dial out from GV for *real* phone calls - takes too many steps, the GV app for my blackberry does not seem to work properly most of the time...

but i do have my GV number (the main one that everyone knows) printed out on my business cards.. (i should really call people thru GV so that they do not call my cell directly) I prefer having customers having my GV number in place of my cell phone because...
1: if i do not pay my cell bill on time and it is disconnected for a day or two, they will still be able to at minimum leave a message
2: VM transcriptions texted to me, while it normally is not very accurate, it is usually accurate enough for me to know if it is a business call and if i should check the VM or call the customer back right away, or if i can hold off on calling them back
3: i can easily forward incoming calls based on CID

there are many reasons why I am a fan of GV - but it i admit there is still some features that I would like to see implemented before
1: fix the GV app for blackberry so that it works consistently
2: e-fax: easily implemented by detecting CNG tones then sending faxes to the email associated with your GV number
3: SIP - if they do something with gizmo5 they can do this..

the ANI fail "feature" is neat to play around with... and one of the easiest ways to remain "undetectable" but either way it is not a deal breaker for me if it were to go away permanently.. in fact when it was a true ANI fail many toll free numbers would not terminate, the false 646 number is a good compromise at protecting your true identity, although that number is likely unique to GV and would be rather simple for the phedz to trace back to you if you were to so something illegal enough for them to invest their time and resources

Yea, it's likely the 646 number is unique to them.

Now and then, like right now, I ponder the question of whether or not there's another way to make calls anonymously and consistently so. Should I happen to come up with something, I'll share it.

#7 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 789 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:46 PM

Now and then, like right now, I ponder the question of whether or not there's another way to make calls anonymously and consistently so. Should I happen to come up with something, I'll share it.

while it would be appreciated, i do not know that it would be a good idea to make public any methods to easily produce an ANI fail or any other method to make anonymous calls, as it is likely that public forums like this are the reason that ANI fail with google voice does not work.

would not mind a PM if you come up with something.. as i think that if you make your findings in a public place it will reduce the useful life of such a find..

#8 rez

rez

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:07 PM

Interestingly, I have gotten confirmation calls for GoogleVoice....from guess where? Straight outta Compton! Weird. I wonder if that number was spoofed by Google. I can't imagine Google having an office of any sort out in Compton, CA.

Edited by rez, 08 March 2011 - 12:08 PM.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!