Photo
- - - - -

DHCPv6 solicit message

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 zwei

zwei

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:11 AM

So I was using wireshark and saw some DHCPv6 protocols that were sending solicit messages. As I understand it, from what I've found through google, this is something that a DHCPv6 client would be sending to a DHCPv6 server. I'm not running a server nor am I using IPv6 even, so I don't really get why this is in my traffic. If someone could explain why I might be seeing this that would be awesome.

#2 zwei

zwei

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:48 AM

I just found this in something I was reading. I kinda think it could explain it, but I'm still not using IPv6 I don't think so I still don't see how the solicit even got to me.

"When the TCP/IP protocol initializes and DHCPv6 has been enabled on any of the client machine's interfaces, the DHCPv6 client sends a DHCPv6 Solicit message to the All_DHCP_Relay_Agents_and_Servers multicast address specified in [RFC3315] to discover the available DHCPv6 servers. The DHCPv6 client includes a Vendor Class Option that contains information about the host, such as the operating system version."

If the solicit was being sent out to a bunch of addresses in order to find a server, then I guess that could explain why I got one. But I would imagine it would be sending IPv6 addresses, not IPv4, so I still don't really see how it would be sent to me.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!