• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:41 PM

I haven't had a POTS line since I would say about 2004 or 2003 when I started using VoIP, beginning with Vonage, then Skype, Magicjack, Ooma, Gizmo5, and Optimum Voice (cablevision)

I just was poking around the NANPA website and came across this about 555 numbers...
http://nanpa.com/nas...555MasterReport

so i tried calling a few... no luck..

Ooma says "your prepaid calling account balance is zero, please log into the Osoma lounge at www.ooma.com to add money to your prepaid account"

BoostMobile (CDMA) "the number or code that you have dialed is incorrect, please check the number or code and try again" then tells me I guess the same thing in Spanish??

Optimum Voice seems to send all NPA-555-xxxx numbers to their 411 information, just as they do with all 700 NPA numbers...

Google Voice "hmm.. that's not a valid number..."

So what is a phreak to do? I thought getting a POTS line might be a good idea, even though I have plenty of phones, and numbers, a copper pair would be nice - plus I was considering getting DSL as a fallback for when the cable modem acts up (guess since I had to have the cable company come repair the line outside my house again today)

I was not looking for anything fancy, just metered or message rate service, since I do not plan on using the line to make any *real* calls, just to see differences in how certain numbers terminate

Going thru the order process on Verizon's website my first month's bill would be $78.13 - I kind of expected a higher cost for the first month, good to see they dropped the install cost from $125 when I worked with Verizon. The problem is that the message rate service is $15.80 per month - which according to the Verizon website would come out to $23.13 with an * indicating that the monthly cost may not include taxes, fees and surcharges.

In no way is a basic line, where I would need to pay for EVERY outgoing call (not really, since I would probably mostly be dialing unsupervised error recordings) worth that much money per month, especially when for about $6 more per month my cable company gives me unlimited US/CAN/PR (not that I call CAN or PR)

It would be nice to have a copper pair to connect to and play around with from time to time, especially now that I am employed with a VoIP provider, and do not get a chance to get my hands on copper any more... I got to play with POTS every day until I left my job at a CLEC a few months ago...

I guess the other problem that I have about getting a copper line installed besides the cost is last time I had a copper line (damn I wish I would have ported that number 718-444-4718, which appears to belong to someone on FiOS now) was when I worked for Verizon, and they *claimed* that I accessed DATU from my line at midnight on a SINGLE occasion, which I continue to deny.

I am beginning to forget the whole point of this post... guess I am just ranting...

Perhaps it is time for me to look into different calling cards or something to simulate using a copper pair? Any suggestions, preferably that can be purchased with cash...

#2 chronomex

chronomex

mad 1337

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:54 PM

[ ... ]

So what is a phreak to do? I thought getting a POTS line might be a good idea, even though I have plenty of phones, and numbers, a copper pair would be nice - plus I was considering getting DSL as a fallback for when the cable modem acts up (guess since I had to have the cable company come repair the line outside my house again today)

I was not looking for anything fancy, just metered or message rate service, since I do not plan on using the line to make any *real* calls, just to see differences in how certain numbers terminate

[ ... ]

Perhaps it is time for me to look into different calling cards or something to simulate using a copper pair? Any suggestions, preferably that can be purchased with cash...

I have a POTS workalike line delivered via SIP from a DMS-10 remote in rural Minnesota. It costs me $12.10 a month. I can use 101-xxxx carrier access codes, I can dial UIFNs at +800-xxxx-xxxx, I can choose my own long distance carrier, I can use it anywhere in the world. The only real downside is it's not a publicly offered service.

#3 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:24 PM

[ ... ]

[ ... ]

I have a POTS workalike line delivered via SIP from a DMS-10 remote in rural Minnesota. It costs me $12.10 a month. I can use 101-xxxx carrier access codes, I can dial UIFNs at +800-xxxx-xxxx, I can choose my own long distance carrier, I can use it anywhere in the world. The only real downside is it's not a publicly offered service.

sounds pretty awesome... how did you come across that? did someone hook up a SPA3102 to a POTS line and allow you access via SIP to it?

the ooma must have been fun for stuff like this, when they were peering other peoples POTS lines connected to the ooma devices..

#4 chronomex

chronomex

mad 1337

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:52 PM

sounds pretty awesome... how did you come across that? did someone hook up a SPA3102 to a POTS line and allow you access via SIP to it?

the ooma must have been fun for stuff like this, when they were peering other peoples POTS lines connected to the ooma devices..

Nope, it's actually a service directly from the phone company in question. The DMS-10 has an Ethernet jack on the side of it, and I talk directly to it. It's real phone service, over VoIP. I have a friend who works at the company in question, so he was able to hook me up with this non-tariffed service.

I don't think Ooma ever did that sort of thing, do you have a source?

#5 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:42 AM

Nope, it's actually a service directly from the phone company in question. The DMS-10 has an Ethernet jack on the side of it, and I talk directly to it. It's real phone service, over VoIP. I have a friend who works at the company in question, so he was able to hook me up with this non-tariffed service.

here is just one of the first links that i found concerning oomas p2p or distributed termination practices http://oomahacks.blo...ermination.html
originally ooma used to connect to other ooma owners land lines to terminate calls...
i never had an ooma at that time, as they stopped terminating calls this way prior to my purchase of one...
it would have been great to use the PSTN to make calls - and for MITM attacks against people who made calls thru your ooma device...

there is plenty of evidence of this now abandon ooma termination practice...

#6 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

DDP r0x0rz my s0x0rz

• Members
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:44 PM

Though you won't be getting operator service from the nifty AIX machineamajig, you can always get local service from a CLEC. MCI or AT&T local are the first two that come to mind. I know RCN has their own 5ESSes, so that wouldn't be a Bell switch, but it'd certainly do the trick. Cox will give you a line from a DMS-500 in most territories, but what kind of transport the local loop uses is debatable, so it wouldn't necessarily be POTS 100% of the time.

Or you could just see if you apply for lifeline service?

Start calling all the local CLECs, though, almost all of them resell POTS service - hell, even Ymax (think: Magicjack parent company) is a switchless reseller so they can achieve CLEC status.

I remember asking them about this one time. As of the time I asked them (2009-ish), they claimed the POTS line was only for backup purposes. As of the last time I got to use an Ooma demophone at Fry's, though, it was using a black route to terminate even to places like White Plains. I don't remember it being a POTS route, but by that point, the call quality had gotten so hilariously bad that it wouldn't have been all that fun to play with anyway.

Edited by ThoughtPhreaker, 16 February 2011 - 12:00 AM.

#7 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 12:52 AM

yea was thinking of perhaps using a CLEC... but do not want to use the one that i just quit from a few months ago (that uses verizon's switches).. the other CLEC that I am aware of that serves NY i have done some work for (although not directly, but thru one of their agents) and they have their own swtich..

guess i am going to have to poke around and see what other CLECs are out there... either that or set up a 3102 somewhere and call into it with SIP... too bad i don't live in an apartment building with a riser cable in my closet lol...

#8 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:09 PM

Know of any CLECs in Capitaland? I've been thinking of getting a landline but was similarly disappointed with Verizon's messenger rate. Got some modem dialing I want to do...

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!