• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:11 PM

Anyone willing to write me a how to do this? i have a kicker CVR aluminized 15" woofer and seeing it is only worth like 30 bucks and i got it when it was 150 im not sellin it, buut it doesn't fix in my trunk :-( cause i got a new car...

I am not to smart with wiring and stuff but i think i have the basics down to a point and was hoping someone here knew a little more.
Here is my woofer ( i have the 15" dont forget :-)
Here is my amp

Im pretty sure i dont need a capacitor cause it is AC right?

So i think i need a power supply to convert the AC 110 wall socket to a DC and then a transformer to step down 110 to 12 v.

Although I'm lost when it comes to the amps and oms and all that.

Anyone willing to write me an idiot proof tut? I can run out and get all the stuff i will need i just need to know what it is and how it all goes together.

#2 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:30 PM

Anyone willing to write me a how to do this? i have a kicker CVR aluminized 15" woofer and seeing it is only worth like 30 bucks and i got it when it was 150 im not sellin it, buut it doesn't fix in my trunk :-( cause i got a new car...

I am not to smart with wiring and stuff but i think i have the basics down to a point and was hoping someone here knew a little more.
Here is my amp

So i think i need a power supply to convert the AC 110 wall socket to a DC and then a transformer to step down 110 to 12 v.

Anyone willing to write me an idiot proof tut? I can run out and get all the stuff i will need i just need to know what it is and how it all goes together.

I need a ac 110 w to become a dc 12 v @ 30 amps. I might throw some breakers but thats fine.

#3 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:56 PM

Here is my amp

I need a ac 110 w to become a dc 12 v @ 30 amps. I might throw some breakers but thats fine.

110 VDC??? 12VAC?? thing you got those backwards... think you are trying to convert 110VAC to 12VDC...

30a seems to be a tall order to fill...
http://www.google.co...dcb6979649afcb0

EDIT- maybe you can cheat with a PC power supply??? according to http://www.jobsite-g...alculators.html 30a at 12V would be 360 watts... so a power supply with a rating of more than 360 watts should provide sufficient power - not sure if this would work, but theoretically it should... would be a nice place to start especially if you had an old power supply (or 10) lying around (like i do)

Edited by nyphonejacks, 02 February 2011 - 11:04 PM.

#4 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:45 AM

Here is my amp

110 VDC??? 12VAC?? thing you got those backwards... think you are trying to convert 110VAC to 12VDC...

EDIT- maybe you can cheat with a PC power supply??? according to http://www.jobsite-g...alculators.html 30a at 12V would be 360 watts... so a power supply with a rating of more than 360 watts should provide sufficient power - not sure if this would work, but theoretically it should... would be a nice place to start especially if you had an old power supply (or 10) lying around (like i do)

Your right. I meant 110 vac to 12 vdc. I have a 500 watt power supply sitting on my dest, but i haven't a clue on how to wire that into my amp...To... many.. wires...

Any ideas on how to do that?
The amp is rated for 60 amps but i cut it in half to do good on my carbon footprint.

Just found this. Really using molex? I found a diagram saying that one of the plugs is 12 v 2 middles are ground and the other end is a 5 v. Im a little confuzzled. I just plug that 12 v into my amp?
If so thats kinda funny seeing my original cable for my car was a 0 gauge.

Edit: Ok i got it i think. I am going to take my 550w PSU and use the 12v (yellow) from the molex. I will connect the cpu wire to ground so it simulates starting the cpu and the headunit thing to the 12 v molex so it simulates my headunit turning on.

Do i need to worry about overloading and short circuits?

im not tryin to burn my house down.

Edited by 5imp7y, 07 February 2011 - 12:07 PM.

#5 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:11 PM

Here is my amp

Your right. I meant 110 vac to 12 vdc. I have a 500 watt power supply sitting on my dest, but i haven't a clue on how to wire that into my amp...To... many.. wires...

The amp is rated for 60 amps but i cut it in half to do good on my carbon footprint.

Just found this. Really using molex? I found a diagram saying that one of the plugs is 12 v 2 middles are ground and the other end is a 5 v. Im a little confuzzled. I just plug that 12 v into my amp?

Edit: Ok i got it i think. I am going to take my 550w PSU and use the 12v (yellow) from the molex. I will connect the cpu wire to ground so it simulates starting the cpu and the headunit thing to the 12 v molex so it simulates my headunit turning on.

not sure... haven't done anything similar... but you are fux0ring with the low voltage side so i would be doubtful that you would do anything worse than burning out the PSU... if you are concerned enough you could add an inline fuse between the PSU and the amp...

#6 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:06 PM

Here is my amp

not sure... haven't done anything similar... but you are fux0ring with the low voltage side so i would be doubtful that you would do anything worse than burning out the PSU... if you are concerned enough you could add an inline fuse between the PSU and the amp...

So i tried it and i have the output through my tv with shakedown street playing and im getting nothing on the sub. About every 5 seconds a simple Poom that is kinda loud but cant be controlled by the sub volume controler. I have 2 molexes tore apart for the 2 12 vdc yellow cables one plugged into the amps REM(or remote start from the headd unit) and one into the power and then 2 black (ground) plugged into the ground. I also have the 24pin connector shorted to simulate the CPU powering up. No sound :-(

Any ideas?

#7 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:05 PM

when ever i installed an amp in a car i always used to just jumper both of the power inputs on the sub woofer (the ACC and constant power)

i would check the leads with a meter to see that you are getting the proper voltage, and if you are, then perhaps the amp may be drawing too much current from the PSU, as i said when i suggested you try this, i have never tried this way before, so i am not sure if there is any regulation as to how much amps are allowed to go to each connector on the PSU..

also... most amps that i have seen have 2 fuses, i am sure you checked them already, but if not i would check to ensure that neither one of them is blown out...

do you get a power indication light on the amp, or some other indication that power is flowing thru the amp?

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!