Photo
- - - - -

New Phreaking / Yippies newsletter book?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 The Phreak

The Phreak

the 0ne

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 04:36 PM

Has anyone read "Hacking Ma Bell"? It's a compilation of old Yippie newsletters. Don't want to spend the $15.95 without a review.

It says it was published 6 months ago but this is the first I've heard of it. Anyone read it?

http://www.amazon.com/Hacking-Ma-Bell

From Amazon:

"Youth International Party line is recognized as the first hacker newsletter. Co-founded by Abbie Hoffman, YIPL picks up where Steal This Book left off.

From 1971 to 1984, Youth International Party Line (Later T.A.P.) was a ticket to a world free of charge. With practical tips ranging from free payphone scams to lock-picking, if you wanted advice on subverting corporations and living for free, YIPL was the source.

This volume brings back into print the rare first 23 issues of YIPL, from its beginnings as a tool to disseminate tactics for undermining AT&T's monopoly, to its evolution into a clearinghouse for scams on obtaining everything for free. The bible of phone phreaks and first-wave hackers, this classic newletter has been out of print for decades. Its all here: From technical schematics for obtaining free phone calls to scamming free electricity. This is the first 3 years of the rare hacker newsletter that has been studied and mythologized for decades."

#2 rbcp

rbcp

SUP3R 31337

• Moderating Team
  • 157 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:52 AM

Are you the author? I noticed you posted the exact same thing with a new account on the PLA Forums too. Were you involved with TAP in the 80's?

#3 Mr. X

Mr. X

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 02:21 PM

YIPL/TAP issues are available online: http://pdf.textfiles...pcollection.pdf

#4 ticom

ticom

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Moderating Team
  • 419 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 11:09 AM

As mentioned previously, back issues of YIPL/TAP are available online from a number of sources. I have a complete photocopy set of TAP/YIPL that some hacker friends and I had made in the late 1980s from a set of originals. It took us a few hours to photocopy the originals (300+ pages) and have them comb-bound. It would have also cost an arm and a leg if we didn't have access to a hacker-friendly print shop.

The YIPL issues are interesting from a historical standpoint, but any practical information you're going to find in back issue collection will be in the later TAP issues. If the bound book contained the later issues, say 20-something to 92, then it might be worth the $16 just to be able to put it on the shelf.

Speaking as a magazine editor and writer, I think that while it's nice to see the old-school stuff "come back into print" for the younger generation (and you kids can learn a lot from the material), even though TAP/YIPL is public domain it's still a dick move to charge above cost for material that you didn't personally author or compile as an editor. I use Lulu for my publishing, and my cost for 364 pages of 8.5x11 black and white is $14.60. That means anyone could upload the entire TAP/YIPL PDF collection and roll their own complete back issue collection for that amount.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!