2 replies to this topic

#1 bsd-roo

bsd-roo

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:08 AM

Hello all and thanks in advance.

I have a Samba server for network access and backup usage, it appears that the hard disk has filled up faster than I had predicted.
Unfortunately I did not set up raid to easily add new disks. and also I have partitioned the disk in the way that all folders are in /and
all the files are stored in /home/<userAccounts>.

what I would like to know is to increase the size of /home now, could I just copy /home to a new hard disk and add this to /etc/fstab
"/dev/sda2 /home ext3 defaults 0 1". and hope it will from now on point /home to the new disk? or am I being hopefull?

Thanks

#2 Jesus Phreak

Jesus Phreak

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:54 AM

Hello all and thanks in advance.

I have a Samba server for network access and backup usage, it appears that the hard disk has filled up faster than I had predicted.
Unfortunately I did not set up raid to easily add new disks. and also I have partitioned the disk in the way that all folders are in /and
all the files are stored in /home/<userAccounts>.

what I would like to know is to increase the size of /home now, could I just copy /home to a new hard disk and add this to /etc/fstab
"/dev/sda2 /home ext3 defaults 0 1". and hope it will from now on point /home to the new disk? or am I being hopefull?

Thanks

This would work. Just make sure and use the correct drive identifier. "sda2" would point to the second partition on the first hard disk. It'll probably end up being "sdb1". But yes, it would work just that way.

#3 bsd-roo

bsd-roo

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:05 PM

Thx

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!