• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:08 PM

PrimeSense

Touchless - no mouse,
no keyboard, no cords

Lean back - experience

Living Room Entertainment
The living room environment is naturally the heart of home entertainment. While living room entertainment technologies have advanced tremendously over recent years, the interaction and control mechanisms used in these technologies are seriously lagging behind, undeveloped for decades.

Thin displays, home theater PCs, advanced set-top boxes, IP TV and other technologies (as recent as 3D TV) deliver genuine entertainment experiences. Nonetheless, they are all controlled by standard infrared remote control units, invented over half a century ago.

While remote control unit manufacturers continuously crammed more and more functionality into a single hand-held apparatus, this functionality was unusable to the average user. It was as if the market need threshold was dramatically overshot by remote control technology, as illustrated in the figure below. In essence, because interaction with complex remote control functions is unnatural for most users, a usability gap resulted, leaving a vacant space for a new technology that could provide users with a more natural approach to control functionality.

A hands-free, gesture-based control paradigm is the most-suitable natural interaction method. In recent years, this method has reached a consumer market price-performance point, where the user acquisition accuracy, resolution, robustness to ambient light, processing speed and cost have all passed the mass market threshold.

Posted Image

Low-cost, hands-free, gesture-based control is enabled via a three-dimensional view of the living room scene. While traditionally such a 3D view has been computationally expensive and therefore prohibitive to the consumer market, PrimeSense is now offering a consumer mass-market depth sensor that can provide hands-free control utilizing a computationally thin host.

There are numerous examples of living room applications that can make excellent use of a natural interaction paradigm. These include TV watching, content browsing and consumption (for example, TV content, pictures and music), web browsing, social interaction, fitness exercising and many more.

I just saw this on CNN.

They demonstrated what it can do. Instead of using a remote for the tv, you use gestures. Also on the computer and at the same.

Fascinating.

When I hear about this stuff, I wonder how bug-free the technology is. I mean, voice recognition has been around for a while, as an example, but there's still issues IMO with it recognizing speech sometimes - unless you speak 'in a certain way', it doesn't recognize what you're saying. Some speech recognition software isn't too bad compared to others, but I haven't seen one perfect yet. So, I'm wondering how 'buggy' this stuff is and whether or not it being so even makes it worth using, at least for me.

Edited by resistor X, 25 January 2011 - 02:12 PM.

#2 jeremy_

jeremy_

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:35 PM

http://larryo.org/wo...rmation/umouse/http://blog.makezine...TC-0D6B48984890
http://hackaday.com/...inger-tracking/

^All DIY gesture control solutions.
It's not perfect, but in my experience, gesture controls work pretty well.

#3 resistor X

resistor X

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:04 PM

I'll say this much about the idea behind this sort of thing :

"Sweeeeet" (as Cartman says)

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!