Photo
- - - - -

Calling Dial Around, 700, 900's via cell/voip ??

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 binjinx

binjinx

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:15 PM

Anyone know if there's any service out there that's not a landline can dial DialAround, 700, 900, etc.. Anyone with Sprint/T-mobile/Verizon/MetroPCS/Cricket/please test see if your mobile allows this (ATT wireless does not (hey I can still get CSD thru them (good for analog modem connection/voice encryption software))) magicjack sucks anyone with nettalk? will try old gizmo/gvoice account I guess

#2 JmanA9

JmanA9

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:38 PM

Anyone know if there's any service out there that's not a landline can dial DialAround, 700, 900, etc.. Anyone with Sprint/T-mobile/Verizon/MetroPCS/Cricket/please test see if your mobile allows this (ATT wireless does not (hey I can still get CSD thru them (good for analog modem connection/voice encryption software))) magicjack sucks anyone with nettalk? will try old gizmo/gvoice account I guess

I can't dial 1-700 or 101XXXX numbers on Verizon Wireless. I'll bet they let you call 900 numbers. I've tried them on Google Voice, that that hasn't worked either.

#3 resistor X

resistor X

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 06:55 PM

I can't dial 1-700 or 101XXXX numbers on Verizon Wireless. I'll bet they let you call 900 numbers. I've tried them on Google Voice, that that hasn't worked either.

Not surprising about GV having a limitation. I've noticed limitations with it too.

This is one of those cases where certain companies claim something and it's not totally true. Take majic jack for example. I've heard it has the limitation of not allowing a user to dial phone numbers that are dialup internet numbers. So much for majic jack being 'so great'.

Reminds me of claims Comcast (Concast) makes - how great their internet is. Yeah right. I used it and now I don't - nuff said. It's overpriced and has traffic jams - who needs it.

#4 binjinx

binjinx

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 07:22 PM

Yea magicjack is actually alot better then what I thought it was gonna be for the price I give them that. But correct they block ALOT of exchanges belonging to smaller locally own'd telcos. Not sure they'd even need to limit dialup ISP numbers since jitter effects voip quality yea can still 3oo/12oo/24oo Error Correction turned off connect :biggrin: but I only wanna revisit 8bit days, not relive them.

#5 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

DDP r0x0rz my s0x0rz

• Members
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:48 AM

Don't forget 950s too. Despite nobody knowing what the hell they are, feature group B codes are still being assigned. Hell, we've seen new ones come in not more than a month ago.

but I only wanna revisit 8bit days, not relive them.

Then get a better phone. You can send compressed 16-bit PCM over dial-up :)

#6 dmine45

dmine45

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:12 AM

I've had mixed luck using a modem over MagicCrap ™ to dial the few old school dial-up BBSes that are left (yes, there are a few!). Like someone else said, turn off error correction, go down to 2400 baud, etc. and it may work some of the time.

I've also tried Google Voice, but again mixed luck on that as well.

Yes, it's well known that MagicCrap blocks certain numbers - even ones that you should be able to reach. It has to do with settlement agreements (or lack of them) with the destination carrier. No recordings, just a fake busy signal or fake reorder.

But I can still get to some numbers for some reason regular carriers can't get to. For example - the new NYC overlay verification recording (929-222-9901). The ONLY way I've been able to get to it is over MC. Trying it with all other carriers seem to get trapped at a tandem. My guess is that MC can enter the PSTN in the NYC LATA, while others have to route to it from the outside instead of entering it from inside.

Yeah, this stuff is still interesting at times. :thumbup:

#7 binjinx

binjinx

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:29 PM

[quote name='ThoughtPhreaker' timestamp='1296035326' post='356930']
Don't forget 950s too. Despite nobody knowing what the hell they are, feature group B codes are still being assigned. Hell, we've seen new ones come in not more than a month ago.

humm I know it says groupB but that list looks more like 1010 then 950 (just the way it jumps from 0~2000 right to 5000) haha 950-1288(x25) anyone ever dial that and connect when the network was active (was very short lived from what i remember)

Anyone know if there are VOIP providers that have pstn termination per min fees???

Edited by binjinx, 26 January 2011 - 12:39 PM.

#8 mungewell

mungewell

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 376 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:43 PM

Tried 700-555-4141 on my work line (VoIP internal then out on partial-T1) and my personal VoIP provider (link2voip.com)

Work: 'Thank you for using Rogers'
VoIP: 'You are about to start an echo test...'

Mungewell.

#9 mungewell

mungewell

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 376 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:46 PM

Anyone know if there are VOIP providers that have pstn termination per min fees???

Link2Voip is a pre-pay service; DIDs at $10 per month for unlimited incoming, or $2.49 per month plus 1.1ยข/minute.
Munge

#10 resistor X

resistor X

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:45 PM

700 did not work on my Verizon cell. I'm in Colorado at the moment and I'm sure that's not where the others who user Verizon are at and what this means is it's not working, period, and isn't related to what NPA you're in.

#11 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:56 PM

700 did not work on my Verizon cell. I'm in Colorado at the moment and I'm sure that's not where the others who user Verizon are at and what this means is it's not working, period, and isn't related to what NPA you're in.

700 NPA no good on boost mobile CDMA (or sprint)
1010 codes no good either..
also have no luck with either on google voice...

700 codes can be assigned within a telephone providers network...
on optimum voice all 700 numbers go to optimum directory assistance...
on the VoIP company that i work for, 700-555-1212 actually dropped me to someones hosted PBX (presumably one of our customers, although all i did was call from the phone, did not check the system for where that number points to)

Vonage takes advantage of the 700 NPA offering various services from this NPA...
http://www.google.co...=1&q=vonage 700
1-700-GREETINGS
1-700-WEATHER
1-700-Call-Santa
are just a few that i found thru the google search linked above... dont have vonage so can not test them...

#12 resistor X

resistor X

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:09 PM

on the VoIP company that i work for, 700-555-1212 actually dropped me to someones hosted PBX (presumably one of our customers, although all i did was call from the phone, did not check the system for where that number points to)

Vonage takes advantage of the 700 NPA offering various services from this NPA...
1-700-GREETINGS
1-700-WEATHER
1-700-Call-Santa
are just a few that i found thru the google search linked above... dont have vonage so can not test them...

Dropped to someones hosted PBX? Hahaha, glitchy... funny tho.

Hmmm.... I don't have Vonage either but called em anywho, plus some others just to get a good test.

Hey, I called that one too... 700-555-1212 but now can't recall what it did. Didn't go through, that much I recall.

#13 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:04 PM

1-700-GREETINGS
1-700-WEATHER
1-700-Call-Santa

Dropped to someones hosted PBX? Hahaha, glitchy... funny tho.

Hmmm.... I don't have Vonage either but called em anywho, plus some others just to get a good test.

Hey, I called that one too... 700-555-1212 but now can't recall what it did. Didn't go through, that much I recall.

700-555-1212 supposed to verify what your long distance carrier is, at least when called from a land line phone...

the company that i currently work for is a VoIP provider that offers hosted PBX, so it did not seem so strange that if that number was pointed anywhere, that it would be to one of our customers IVR...

#14 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:25 PM

no good with 1010 codes or 700 NPA on ooma either

optimum voice all 700 NPA numbers go to directory assistance that i tried, and 1010 CBCAD

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!