Photo
- - - - -

VMware Player

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 zwei

zwei

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:24 PM

I am trying to connect two virtual machines in VMware Player to teach myself how to use metasploit. As such, I want to make sure the two virtual machines are only connected to each other and can't actually get online. I'm very new to metasploit and I want to make sure everything is contained.

From what I understand, I think I can create a virtual serial port to connect them through.The problem is that I don't fully understand how to do this. If I go into the Virtual Machine Settings, then click the add button, bringing up the add hardware wizard, I get an option for setting up a serial port. If I choose serial port and hit the next button, I am then given the options of a physical serial port on the host (I think this is the one I definitely don't want to do), output to file, and output to socket.

I've tried to find some info on this myself, but can't seem to find anything I can make sense of. If anyone could explain these different options, how to set them up, or explain what I want to be using to make sure none of this stuff gets out of the virtual machines, I would be very grateful.

#2 mungewell

mungewell

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 376 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:01 PM

I am trying to connect two virtual machines in VMware Player to teach myself how to use metasploit. As such, I want to make sure the two virtual machines are only connected to each other and can't actually get online. I'm very new to metasploit and I want to make sure everything is contained.

AFAIK the virtual serial ports are only to connect to/from the host machine and the VMWARE client machine. I did use a app for bonding/looping back serial ports (which would run on the host machine), but can't remember the name of it at the moment.

What you probably want to do is use the 'virtual network editor' and set a network segment that only the 2 virtual machines are operating on. This way they can scan/probe each other without affecting the host machine, or other real machines on your LAN.

Cheers,
Mungewell.

#3 zwei

zwei

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:02 PM

Thanks. The virtual network editor sounds good. Um, I can't really seem to figure out how to use it though. I don't see it anywhere. Is it like a virtual app I need to download?

#4 mungewell

mungewell

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 376 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:08 PM

I don't see it anywhere.

Ahh... you're running VMPlayer, I'm running VMServer. So it may only be available under server, which is also downloadable at no-cost.

Munge.

#5 zwei

zwei

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:09 PM

OK so I tried VMware server but had some trouble setting it up in Ubuntu. From what I read it seems like I'm not the only one who has had trouble with it. So I decided to give oracle virtualbox a try. So far it seems more promising. I have one question though. I'm setting up an internal virtual network on it, and adding a DHCP server. It seems that I have to give an IP address for the DHCP server. How would I find out what ip I should give it? Can I just make one up? Once I get over this hump I think I'll finally be able to get my virtual machines connected.

#6 zwei

zwei

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:38 PM

Well I got the DHCP server up and running. Finally found this site which helped me with the ip.

#7 Jesus Phreak

Jesus Phreak

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:49 AM

Well I got the DHCP server up and running. Finally found this site which helped me with the ip.

Did it work? If that doesn't, then you really should just get VMware Workstation (it includes the Virtual Network Manager). VMware Player is worthless gahbage.

#8 zwei

zwei

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:34 PM

Yeah, I thought that it worked at first but it actually didn't haha. I'll give the workstation a try. I still want to try to get the oracle virtualbox working though, I like the feel of it, it is definitely better than the VMware Player.

Edited by zwei, 29 January 2011 - 08:37 PM.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!