• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 JmanA9

JmanA9

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:28 AM

I made a recording of all of the verification recordings in area code 718. If your ears are still sore from the recording I made of 212 verification numbers, rest assured, I turned the DTMF tones WAYYYY down. I think I recorded 44 offices in total.

I was trying to (finally) find the best way to record from my phone line, and I think I did just that. Since I'm so happy with the way this turned out, I encoded it in FLAC as well as MP3. I think my amplifier got a little loud towards the end of the recording, without me even touching it. Still, most of these recordings are very loud to begin with.

http://jmana9.com/au...rification.flac (104MB)
(31MB)

Here's some of my favorite numbers in the recording:

718-238-9901 - The King Lives! I first heard this a few years ago. If you only plan on dialing one of these numbers, let it be this one.
718-265-9901 - Humans aren't perfect, and sometimes they need help in order to get something done properly.
718-231-9901 - Was this recorded on the loading dock?
718-293-9901 - This has a nice beat to it
718-349-9901 - If this isn't the fastest recording you've heard, you need to show me what you've been hiding
718-352-9901 - This guy is auditioning to be the announcer for SNL
718-377-9901 - "Live from Brooklyn!" What is it with these guys who think they're on TV or something?

#2 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:00 PM

I made a recording of all of the verification recordings in area code 718. If your ears are still sore from the recording I made of 212 verification numbers, rest assured, I turned the DTMF tones WAYYYY down. I think I recorded 44 offices in total.

I was trying to (finally) find the best way to record from my phone line, and I think I did just that. Since I'm so happy with the way this turned out, I encoded it in FLAC as well as MP3. I think my amplifier got a little loud towards the end of the recording, without me even touching it. Still, most of these recordings are very loud to begin with.

(31MB)

718-238-9901 - The King Lives! I first heard this a few years ago. If you only plan on dialing one of these numbers, let it be this one.
718-265-9901 - Humans aren't perfect, and sometimes they need help in order to get something done properly.
718-349-9901 - If this isn't the fastest recording you've heard, you need to show me what you've been hiding
718-377-9901 - "Live from Brooklyn!" What is it with these guys who think they're on TV or something?

nice.. i did a scan of 212 and 718 verification numbers about a year or two ago.. i do not remember how far i got, but i was also working on 631, 516, 914, 845 but i didn't record them... i am going to have to get some recording gear for my future endeavors..

#3 resistor X

resistor X

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:44 PM

http://jmana9.com/audio/718%20Verification.mp3 (31MB)

nice.. i did a scan of 212 and 718 verification numbers about a year or two ago.. i do not remember how far i got, but i was also working on 631, 516, 914, 845 but i didn't record them... i am going to have to get some recording gear for my future endeavors..

Yep, nice. I already had Elvis though but made a note of the others.

No wonder I love phreaking. This reminds me of how fun and interesting it is. Can't imagine anyone out there on earth not finding phreaking interesting.... go figure. Some people just have no taste.

I agree about the recording notion. I was just recently going to make a note to look for good recording gear. I'll make that note now, lest I forget it ... been a bit busy lately and can't let that slip by me for too long. I have a landline suction recording thing already (can't recall it's actual name, oops) and it's pretty good I suppose but I could do better, plus need something to record via the computer as well.

#4 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:12 PM

No wonder I love phreaking. This reminds me of how fun and interesting it is. Can't imagine anyone out there on earth not finding phreaking interesting.... go figure. Some people just have no taste.

I agree about the recording notion. I was just recently going to make a note to look for good recording gear. I'll make that note now, lest I forget it ... been a bit busy lately and can't let that slip by me for too long. I have a landline suction recording thing already (can't recall it's actual name, oops) and it's pretty good I suppose but I could do better, plus need something to record via the computer as well.

it is called an induction coil or something like that... i have one of those somewhere in the box of various wires somewhere in my closet, along with a telephone recording device that connects to the handset cord of a phone...

i am thinking to get something like this http://www.radioshac...oductId=2141764
but since my cassette recorder has become defective i am going to have to get myself some digital recorder as well - sure i could just connect something like that up to my laptop, but that is not practical for field phreaking...

#5 resistor X

resistor X

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:20 AM

it is called an induction coil or something like that... i have one of those somewhere in the box of various wires somewhere in my closet, along with a telephone recording device that connects to the handset cord of a phone...

i am thinking to get something like this http://www.radioshac...oductId=2141764
but since my cassette recorder has become defective i am going to have to get myself some digital recorder as well - sure i could just connect something like that up to my laptop, but that is not practical for field phreaking...

Yeah, the suction cup type of recording calls is not only impractical for field phreaking but in general as well. I mean, when I've used it to record various types of calls from the land line I have to scotch tape it on to ensure it stays because otherwise it'll pop right off the handset all because I do the 'terrible thing' of moving my head a little too much.

One of the calls I recorded..wait, maybe that was recorded using the built in recorder on my cell? Whatever... the cell, since I'm on that topic, is not that great for recording calls either because you have to be fast enough to hit it before the call even connects... that's a hard one to do! In fact, I made one as a cell ringer... this one :

914-737-9938 CTPA announcement test. He says at the end "I don't know what it's supposed to say but I'm not really that concerned with it...so if anyone gets this, just disregard it and hang up." Hahaha. Good one.

Anyway........

The radio shack one you have at the link looks really good and even works on a cell call, which this one will not do. I'll have to keep this device in mind. Maybe it's the one I was wanting to buy a while back but when I got there, they were out. Can't recall but it's the same price as the one at your link... I'm suspecting that's it.

I already have the digital recorder, actually 2 of them, so I'm set to go on that one.

Love the digital recorder invention I have to add. It's much better than my old mini cassette recorder I had. Way better at that and one's able to hook up the the PC.

#6 Pan

Pan

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:44 PM

Check out JK Audio for hybrids that you can use to record (some of them portable)

http://www.jkaudio.com/

#7 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

DDP r0x0rz my s0x0rz

• Members
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:44 AM

Check out JK Audio for hybrids that you can use to record (some of them portable)

Yeow, those're expensive. These days the amount of money you pay for a recording interface really isn't very proportionate to what you're going to hear. Just to put it in perspective, here's a recording of a call made with a professional phone patch in a studio, a handmade phone patch made from a handset cable and a 2500 set, and a $30 modem with a voice function;

http://thoughtphreak.../shadycomp.flac

Yeah, the suction cup type of recording calls is not only impractical for field phreaking but in general as well. I mean, when I've used it to record various types of calls from the land line I have to scotch tape it on to ensure it stays because otherwise it'll pop right off the handset all because I do the 'terrible thing' of moving my head a little too much.

mmm, I dunno. Back when I didn't know how to make a good recording circuit, I used to record everything with a pickup coil. You have to be a bit creative with these, but keep in mind when you're listening to something like Strom's old recordings, or the Nantes, Quebec trip that these were all made with Radioshack pickup coils. Just learn to develop a steady thumb, and get a powerful preamp. And hey, after holding one of those coils against a payphone handset for an hour, there won't be anybody on the face of the earth that can beat you at thumb wrestling :) . The thing that makes me like them more than the Olympus doohickeys is if you're starting to get a lot of noise, you can just move the handset around, or cover the mouthpiece. With one of the tiny microphones, you can only cringe, and let it make a ton of noise every time you try to sandwich it even harder against your ear.

i am going to have to get myself some digital recorder as well

If you're getting one of those digital memo recorders, beware of anything that doesn't have a volume control. A lot of those entry level recorders love to employ really aggressive dynamic range compression. Subtlety is the nature of the beast with the phone network, and if your recording equipment is constantly trying to make things loud, you'll lose that.

Nice, I'm glad someone posted something like this. A lot of us get caught up in trying to own everything in sight, it's good someone knows how to just enjoy the little things.

#8 dmine45

dmine45

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:06 AM

Years ago (and I'm talking 30 years ago) I used to have an induction coil that I could slip over the receiver of a 500 set that worked better than those suction cup coils. Wish I had it these days to capture some stuff from the few pay phones that are left before they're all gone. (Example - TOPS long distance that you can't get from anywhere else but from a pay phone). Wish I was able to capture OSPS long distance before it went away several years ago. :(

#9 resistor X

resistor X

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:15 AM

Nice, I'm glad someone posted something like this. A lot of us get caught up in trying to own everything in sight, it's good someone knows how to just enjoy the little things.

Oh, so I'm not the only one who thinks that way.

#10 resistor X

resistor X

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:21 AM

Years ago (and I'm talking 30 years ago) I used to have an induction coil that I could slip over the receiver of a 500 set that worked better than those suction cup coils. Wish I had it these days to capture some stuff from the few pay phones that are left before they're all gone. (Example - TOPS long distance that you can't get from anywhere else but from a pay phone). Wish I was able to capture OSPS long distance before it went away several years ago. :(

Yeah, I recall it.

Once upon a time I had some cassette recordings of some good ☎ shit, but 'as to often happened', the tape would get all jacked up once the cassette were well used or old enough and you ended up with a ruined cassette tape. Where was the digital recorder invention when ya needed one? Meh.

Edited by resistor X, 26 January 2011 - 07:23 AM.

#11 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

DDP r0x0rz my s0x0rz

• Members
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:34 AM

Example - TOPS long distance that you can't get from anywhere else but from a pay phone

You mean like this? http://thoughtphreak...ops_ss7nis.flac

Hot damn, I never knew a reorder could sound so cool. It might interest you to know that there's some 5ESSes in place of TOPS tandems, so it's probably not too late to snag a recording of OSPS doing coin control - http://www.qwest.com...andemReport.doc

#12 dmine45

dmine45

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:33 PM

Hot damn, I never knew a reorder could sound so cool. It might interest you to know that there's some 5ESSes in place of TOPS tandems, so it's probably not too late to snag a recording of OSPS doing coin control - http://www.qwest.com...andemReport.doc

Yes, Qwest was one of the few Baby Bells that had OSPS instead of TOPS for local operator functions. I remmeber old Joybubbles (Joe Engressia) said they had them up in Minneapolis where he lived.

BTW - Does Qwest still have CO controlled (old school) payphones?

I know that AT&T (old SBC/Ameritech/BellSouth) got rid of all their pay phones. Verizon's payphones are ALMOST gone (old GTE and old Bell Atlantic) :(

#13 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:07 PM

Yes, Qwest was one of the few Baby Bells that had OSPS instead of TOPS for local operator functions. I remmeber old Joybubbles (Joe Engressia) said they had them up in Minneapolis where he lived.

I know that AT&T (old SBC/Ameritech/BellSouth) got rid of all their pay phones. Verizon's payphones are ALMOST gone (old GTE and old Bell Atlantic) :(

there are PLENTY of Verizon payphones still out there...

#14 resistor X

resistor X

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:13 PM

Where I'm at, I'd have to go farther than 8 blocks to find one...dunno y this is.

?
Qwest seems to be the primary one.

#15 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:24 PM

Where I'm at, I'd have to go farther than 8 blocks to find one...dunno y this is.

?
Qwest seems to be the primary one.

i just have to go around the corner to get a verizon payphone, or around the corner in the other direction to get at least 2 COCOTS... plus there are all of the verizon payphones on the NYC subway system that I am cataloging on a blog...

but seriously whenever i need, or want to use a payphone i prefer to seek out a verizon phone rather than a COCOT...

#16 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

DDP r0x0rz my s0x0rz

• Members
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:09 AM

Yup, there's one within a few blocks of my house. Generally, though, most of the higher revenue phones were converted to Millenniums, so it helps to look for places they might be tucked away; where there'd be an extra low chance of vandalism, but not much chance of anybody using it.

Also I happened across this in a scan today - 631-271-9901.This sounds way too much like Evan's impression of the echoey 4A lady, it's kinda scary.

#17 JmanA9

JmanA9

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:22 PM

Also I happened across this in a scan today - 631-271-9901.This sounds way too much like Evan's impression of the echoey 4A lady, it's kinda scary.

All jokes about that man getting interrupted during that recording aside, I seriously can't think of a place other than a bathroom that would be so echoey.

#18 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

DDP r0x0rz my s0x0rz

• Members
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 06:57 PM

Maybe it's a school gym.

"You have reached the Far Rockaway 5ESS swi-HEY NO RUNNING!"

#19 dmine45

dmine45

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:11 PM

Maybe in NYC, but in Florida (former GTE) they're all gone, and in Virginia where I live they're very rare, in both former BA and GTE areas.

Maybe it's a regional thing that they're removing them, but around here they're almost extinct.

Heck, even finding a COCOT is very rare around here, let alone a CO owned one (COCOTized, Millenium or old school CO controlled).

Edited by dmine45, 04 February 2011 - 10:13 PM.

#20 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

DDP r0x0rz my s0x0rz

• Members
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 02:17 AM

The last time I was near the Williamsburg area was 2007, but they had a shockingly large amount of ex-Bell Atlantic CO phones there.

EDIT: Phone booths are big money for Verizon in New York, since they mean free advertising space. As of a couple years ago, there was an article about them even installing new payphones.

Edited by ThoughtPhreaker, 05 February 2011 - 05:28 AM.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!