• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 securityxxxpert

securityxxxpert

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 05:34 PM

I was reading in one of my many network security books about when a attacker compromises the system they will upload binaries of there toolkits or custom compiled programs to the compromised system in order to further attack the network. My question is how is this done? What exactly are binaries and can any one provide me an example on how this is accomplished?

#2 heisenbug

heisenbug

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:08 PM

I was reading in one of my many network security books about when a attacker compromises the system they will upload binaries of there toolkits or custom compiled programs to the compromised system in order to further attack the network. My question is how is this done? What exactly are binaries and can any one provide me an example on how this is accomplished?

This term is often misused, but I guess technically all files could be considered binary files since changes in the direction of magnetization represent data on the hard disk in patterns of binary data bits.

It appears they intend it to mean some sort of executable code.

EDIT: Results may vary on an SSD, LOL

Edited by heisenbug, 07 January 2011 - 11:08 PM.

#3 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,075 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:09 AM

In that context, they mean that you will only see the compiled executable binary programs and not the ascii source code.

#4 d3xt3r

d3xt3r

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 08:40 AM

related to security scenario.....uploading binaries is the post-eploitation phase ..binaries can be a backdoor,rootkit etc....

simple example of this is editing registry to run netcat on startup on a random port & spawn a command prompt, when someone connects to it.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!