• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:55 AM

since i have been forced to take the subway to work since my new employer is taking his time getting me my own vehicle i have been killing time while waiting for various trains by taking photo's of payphones, and noting their numbers.. most numbers were verified by dialing an ANAC number from the phone, but some of the numbers listed are only from the sticker on the phone (either due to the phone not having dial tone, or because my train came and i did not have time to wait for the ANI to be read back)

check it out here http://trainphones.blogspot.com/ if you are interested...

#2 resistor X

resistor X

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:26 PM

since i have been forced to take the subway to work since my new employer is taking his time getting me my own vehicle i have been killing time while waiting for various trains by taking photo's of payphones, and noting their numbers.. most numbers were verified by dialing an ANAC number from the phone, but some of the numbers listed are only from the sticker on the phone (either due to the phone not having dial tone, or because my train came and i did not have time to wait for the ANI to be read back)

I saw that. Good pics, with a slight few blurry - I'll let ya slide on that.... jk... haha.

Handy you got the phone numbers of many of them too. Wonder why so many of them go to modems when they're called (I called a few and they did)?

#3 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:44 PM

I saw that. Good pics, with a slight few blurry - I'll let ya slide on that.... jk... haha.

Handy you got the phone numbers of many of them too. Wonder why so many of them go to modems when they're called (I called a few and they did)?

they are from the camera in my blackberry, and i try to be discrete about taking the photos, because i do not want to draw attention to the whole "if you see something say something" campaign that they got to get commuters to rat suspicious activities... taking photos of random shit inside subway stations might be considered suspicious activity by some people, which is why some are a little blurry...

the reason that most of them go to modems is because this way the phone company can dial into the phone to do some tests, and determine if the coin hopper needs to be emptied..

i just added 2 TTY payphones today (with the TTY box closed) when i get a chance i would like to get the TTY box opened up and get some images with the keypad out, in fact i was going to ask if anyone knew anything about TTY payphones, the instruction card says that the keypad will come out once the other end is connected to a TTY device, would dialing 711 be sufficient, or would i need to find some other number to dial from the TTY payphone to get it to open up?

#4 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:19 PM

because of this comment, i have tried to make sure that the newer photos are not blurry when taken...

on a side note, anyone know why so many of the pay phones give a NIS announcement when called? most of the numbers have been obtained by dialing an ANAC number, so it can not be explained by the number card on the phone being out of date...

#5 resistor X

resistor X

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:27 PM

because of this comment, i have tried to make sure that the newer photos are not blurry when taken...

on a side note, anyone know why so many of the pay phones give a NIS announcement when called? most of the numbers have been obtained by dialing an ANAC number, so it can not be explained by the number card on the phone being out of date...

:)

Well, it's understandable tho because of what you said about not wanting to draw attention. Don't put yourself out. Better safe than sorry, as they say.... but if you wanna, well..... just be careful.

I've had the same thought about taking pics and plenty of them of the CO right by me, but can you can bet that's asking for it...haha, cameras and all...oboy.

I did act like a bag lady and made a few spying walk bys recently though, plus a while before that........ that's how I had found out where the CO locator entrance is.

#6 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:47 PM

Well, it's understandable tho because of what you said about not wanting to draw attention. Don't put yourself out. Better safe than sorry, as they say.... but if you wanna, well..... just be careful.

I've had the same thought about taking pics and plenty of them of the CO right by me, but can you can bet that's asking for it...haha, cameras and all...oboy.

I did act like a bag lady and made a few spying walk bys recently though, plus a while before that........ that's how I had found out where the CO locator entrance is.

actually 2 of the images that i took and posted today were in a station where there were 3 cops standing about 5 feet away from me, where they are set up to randomly check passengers bags "randomly" pretty much in violation of the constitution... but yea, i try to be conscious of my surroundings, and try to be discreet when taking the images, because i do not feel the need to explain what i am doing - there was a short period of time where they banned photography in the subway system after 9/11, although that has since been repealed...

I want to start another project when i get a chance, and a car photographing various central office buildings... maybe i can just rip off the images from google street view, but one of the points of the project was to actually go to the COs...

when i worked for verizon i occasionally ate lunch in the basement of this CO:
http://maps.google.c...2,56.54,,0,-5.5

#7 resistor X

resistor X

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:20 PM

actually 2 of the images that i took and posted today were in a station where there were 3 cops standing about 5 feet away from me, where they are set up to randomly check passengers bags "randomly" pretty much in violation of the constitution... but yea, i try to be conscious of my surroundings, and try to be discreet when taking the images, because i do not feel the need to explain what i am doing - there was a short period of time where they banned photography in the subway system after 9/11, although that has since been repealed...

I want to start another project when i get a chance, and a car photographing various central office buildings... maybe i can just rip off the images from google street view, but one of the points of the project was to actually go to the COs...

when i worked for verizon i occasionally ate lunch in the basement of this CO:
http://maps.google.c...2,56.54,,0,-5.5

Oh, you posted new ones, I'll have to go see.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!