Photo
- - - - -

What should I be running this in? C and Assembly related

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zwei

zwei

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:00 PM

So I'm watching this video, Assembly Primer for Hackers:

http://www.securityt...tion-video.aspx

I'd like to follow along with the steps he is going through, but he doesn't explain what he is running the C programs and the Assembly stuff in. I see he is using that PuTTY thing in the video, but when I looked it up it said that it was like a terminal for accessing other computers through the internet or something.

If anyone could explain to me what sort of setup I would need to do what he is doing, or point me somewhere with some information about it I would be very grateful.

#2 zwei

zwei

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:24 PM

So I'm watching this video, Assembly Primer for Hackers:

http://www.securityt...tion-video.aspx

I'd like to follow along with the steps he is going through, but he doesn't explain what he is running the C programs and the Assembly stuff in. I see he is using that PuTTY thing in the video, but when I looked it up it said that it was like a terminal for accessing other computers through the internet or something.

If anyone could explain to me what sort of setup I would need to do what he is doing, or point me somewhere with some information about it I would be very grateful.

*Never mind I figured it out. If anyone is interested though, I was able to just do all of this in the Terminal without adding or changing anything. I thought that because it says Assembly# in the thing he is writing in, I would have to somehow switch into some form of "Assembly Mode" thing in my terminal or use something other than the terminal before I could use those commands. I did however use somewhat different commands for the c codes, which I found here:

http://www.ubuntugee...-c-program.html

I don't know if I needed to use that instead of what he does but it works so I'm happy.

#3 zwei

zwei

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:13 AM

Ok, so one more post and then I promise I'll let this die gracefully.

I actually ended up using the commands he did to compile and run or whatever. One slight difference I found was that my randomize_va_space was set to 2 and not 1. I don't really know what that means, I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 by the way if that helps. Anyway, this wasn't a problem or anything, I'm just kinda wondering why 2 instead of 1 and what that means?

I also found that I had to enter sudo -i I think it was to actually enter the root instead of just sudo before I could use the echo 0 > command to turn off the randomizer for the stack. Also since this is the Newb section I thought I'd state the obvious and mention that you probably don't want to actually turn this thing off on your real system. I did it on a VMPlayer Ubuntu. I think it might not matter much as long as you set it back, but I didn't want to take any chances.

#4 Zee5han

Zee5han

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:08 PM

By the way... Those assembly videos are really cool... There are like 10 parts...

The fact that your randomize_va_space is set to 2 doesn't really mater... As long as it is not zero, it indicates that randomization is enabled...

And the reason you had to issue the sudo command is because this is a system file and can only be changed by root...

If you notice his prompt is something like

bt assembly #

The hash or sharp (#) indicates that he is in root mode...

And thanks for the link...
<---------------------->

Cheers,
Zee5han

#5 d3xt3r

d3xt3r

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 08:25 AM

Well !!! i am a newbie too......those videos are really informative and you should go for the buffer overflow tutorials by the same author. I am using the Damn Vulnerable Linux for the setup , you should give it a try.

the metasploit megaprimer by the same author is a must watch.

Edited by d3xt3r, 15 January 2011 - 08:25 AM.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!