• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 delico

delico

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 07:18 PM

Hi guys. A few years ago I tried (unsuccessfully) to learn a bit more about the various methods of wireless network sniffing. I currently have an Asus G1 laptop with an intel i945PM chipset (integrated centrino wifi), and because of this I was unable to use the different exploits available at the time. I was wondering if any of the programs (windows or linux) had found a workaround for support with this chipset (I believe it was an inability to enter promiscuous mode but I could be wrong) so I can start learning about it, as well as some good papers on the theory behind ARP poisoning and all that. Thanks!

#2 33code33

33code33

the 0ne

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 02:47 PM

Hi guys. A few years ago I tried (unsuccessfully) to learn a bit more about the various methods of wireless network sniffing. I currently have an Asus G1 laptop with an intel i945PM chipset (integrated centrino wifi), and because of this I was unable to use the different exploits available at the time. I was wondering if any of the programs (windows or linux) had found a workaround for support with this chipset (I believe it was an inability to enter promiscuous mode but I could be wrong) so I can start learning about it, as well as some good papers on the theory behind ARP poisoning and all that. Thanks!

Do you have anymore info on the actual wireless chipset? And have a look at this compatibility list here

#3 delico

delico

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:52 PM

Do you have anymore info on the actual wireless chipset? And have a look at this compatibility list here

It's an intel pro/wireless 3945ABG, I've installed the latest drivers and Wireshark works! So now I can capture, but it's been a while since I've read about MITM, ARP Poisoning/spoofing, etc. and I didn't understand much of it at the time, so do you know of any good resources to get me started with this and learn more about wireless security in general? Thanks

#4 tekio

tekio

5(R1P7 |<1DD13

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:08 AM

It's an intel pro/wireless 3945ABG, I've installed the latest drivers and Wireshark works! So now I can capture, but it's been a while since I've read about MITM, ARP Poisoning/spoofing, etc. and I didn't understand much of it at the time, so do you know of any good resources to get me started with this and learn more about wireless security in general? Thanks

There are also drivers for Airopeek that will put that chipset in RFMon mode on Windows. I think they come in the standard Airopeek install, but it is quite expensive.

ARP poisoning? Google is the best place to start. There's tons of documents on the net. Did you have a more specific question? APR (Arp Poison Routing) is not very complicated to grasp, so any document should be great.

Here is a great intro from oxid.it, the makers of Cain & Abel. Iron Geek's site is sure to have some stuff as well.

#5 xllxjustinxllx

xllxjustinxllx

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 10:51 PM

Your best bet is to jump in headfirst and just learn linux. Backtrack is the premiere OS for anything hacking related. And i havent ran across a wireless chipset that doesnt work yet.

www.remote-exploit.com

They have lots of tutorials for newbies and the linux community is so much easier to get help with.

#6 delico

delico

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:43 AM

Your best bet is to jump in headfirst and just learn linux. Backtrack is the premiere OS for anything hacking related. And i havent ran across a wireless chipset that doesnt work yet.

www.remote-exploit.com

They have lots of tutorials for newbies and the linux community is so much easier to get help with.

I found backtrack (I think it's on a different domain now), and it looks more polished and more supportive of different chipsets than the last time I tried it (which was around version 2, I think, just for shits and giggles). I'm going to burn it in the next few minutes and give it a whirl.

There are also drivers for Airopeek that will put that chipset in RFMon mode on Windows. I think they come in the standard Airopeek install, but it is quite expensive.

ARP poisoning? Google is the best place to start. There's tons of documents on the net. Did you have a more specific question? APR (Arp Poison Routing) is not very complicated to grasp, so any document should be great.

Here is a great intro from oxid.it, the makers of Cain & Abel. Iron Geek's site is sure to have some stuff as well.

Thanks for all the resources, I'll see if I can do anything with Airopeek and I'll definitely be watching those videos. Thanks again guys!

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!