Photo
- - - - -

Operating System of Choice.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Poll: Operating System of Choice.

What is your OS of Choice?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Jesus Phreak

Jesus Phreak

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:46 AM

Just went back to Ubuntu Maverick from XP. Finally looking to dump it for good! I've got a customized install with the full GNOME environment and everything I could need, and I'm sitting at ~150MB of RAM at full init (X, GNOME, Wi-Fi, etc.)

I err toward the Debian-based distros mainly because I'm more comfortable with APT than anything else. And I like Linux-based OSes because I don't have a bunch of shit piled on top of me. I don't have the money to buy a new fucking computer every damn year. And even without streamlining, Ubuntu is WAAAAAY less taxing than XP/Vista/7.

#22 LordRach

LordRach

H4x0r

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:57 AM

when you say windows, there are 2 possibilities : XP/Vista or Seven
if it's XP/Vista I'd say Linux > Windows
if it's Seven, of course Windows > Linux

I have moved from windows to Linux in 2006, worked with Linux for 3 years, completely formated my partitions to ext3. In 2009 I got a mac book pro and discovered Mac OS X for the first time.

what can I say ?
if you can afford a Mac, go for it, it's worth it's price, the OS goes perfectly with their nice hardware, and do not run windows on it !
if you can't afford a max, get windows 7, I must admit, it changed my opinion about micro soft products, for the first time in years, they made something worth using, windows 7 is very stable and rarely bugs, performance is nice, slightly slower than XP but way better than Vista. (during holidays, I play the whole days, and download the whole night, so I don't reboot my laptop often, last time the system was running for 3 weeks, no crush no bugs, just windows gadgets crushing every 2 - 3 days, Windows 7 Ultimate x64)
if you need an OS that will oblige you to configure every part of it, compile it's drivers every-time, fix every aspect of it by code, and you do not mind all this, you can get Linux.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!