• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Seraph

Seraph

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 04:30 AM

So I recently decided it was time to join the 21st century and get myself an android. They had a decent sale on.

The problem is my old phone wasn't worth anything to them and I'm not about to throw away something that has some potential to it.

It's a Motorola motoROKR E8. Technically listed as a smartphone, 320x240 2.0in screen with 256 colors, 2 gigs internal memory, two more in an old micro-SD card I had laying around, 2MP camera (absolutely terrible lighting on it though, I think it has issues with IR filtering on the photodiodes because it washes color terribly). Runs the linux-based motorola proprietary OS. Specs don't state processor or speed.

My first thought was to use it as a portable video/MP3 player, kind of a poor man's iPod. It won't run those functions without a SIM card in it without some hacking though, I haven't looked into it too much yet.

As to my experience, I have some experience in programming and some in device hacking, a fair amount of experience in working with circuitry but I'd call myself just shy of advanced (I haven't worked much with microcontrollers but I know my way around ICs and I've done surface-mount), so I'm looking for a project somewhere in that range.

So what the heck should I do with it? I love the little bugger and it served me well and I know there's a ton of potential under that sleek black case.

#2 Havoc

Havoc

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 923 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 03:54 PM

So what the heck should I do with it? I love the little bugger and it served me well and I know there's a ton of potential under that sleek black case.

how about Proximity Detection ?

http://nerdvittles.com/index.php?p=185

all in all you can always donate, it's Christmas time very soon and I bet there are some kids who lost everything because of for instance tornado or floods

#3 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 06:02 PM

My first thought was to use it as a portable video/MP3 player, kind of a poor man's iPod. It won't run those functions without a SIM card in it without some hacking though, I haven't looked into it too much yet.

does it need to be an active SIM, or just any SIM? when you upgraded did they give you a new SIM with your new phone, or are you using the same SIM card? you could always get an unactivated SIM card and throw it in there and see if it works...

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!