• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 johnnymanson

johnnymanson

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 11:42 AM

I have a new job at a small university. My background is electronics, computers and networking. I have no phone system experience but my boss has set me up with admin rights on the phone system. I think he expects me to learn the system on my own. This seems like it could be very interesting and I would like to pick it up quickly to make a good impression, earn more money, etc. The system is Avaya. We have a SIP server and a Telephony server. About all I know so far is how to setup an IP phone and get it working on the system. We use Avaya Communications Manager and the Native Client on the telephony side. On the SIP server I just login and interact with it using a GUI.

I'm looking for suggestions on quickly learning the system. I have no malicious intentions and just want to do a good job. Any help or suggestions from the group will be greatly appreciated.

#2 Havoc

Havoc

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 923 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 03:59 PM

tell your boss that this system can be pwned so if he expects any positive outcome of having you as a sysop; an investment in course for you is a must

https://www.avaya-learning.com/

#3 johnnymanson

johnnymanson

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 06:37 PM

tell your boss that this system can be pwned so if he expects any positive outcome of having you as a sysop; an investment in course for you is a must

https://www.avaya-learning.com/

Thanks for the input. I will try and get some official training. At this point I am looking for something like a quick introduction to get me started. I have looked at some of the info available on the Avaya web site and have already learned a little there. I am just looking for something that I can get online and free for now.

Speaking of pwnage, the whole campus network seems to have very lax security. But right now I am not in IT. Don't really understand why the phone system is separate from that department. Everywhere I have worked before the phone system belonged to IT. Right now my boss is the only one who knows much about the phone system and he is a director. Someone at his level should not be doing day to day phone stuff. Its amazing to me.

So does anyone out there in Binrevland have any quick and free resources for me? Please post if you do. Thanks in advance.

#4 Pan

Pan

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 01:14 AM

[So does anyone out there in Binrevland have any quick and free resources for me? Please post if you do. Thanks in advance.

Since you don't have any SIP telephony administration experience, and probably don't want to blow things up at work, might it be a good idea to get a solid understanding? That may not fulfill the qualifiers of "quick" and "free", but you'll perform your tasks better with less risk to your users. Maybe start with reading up on the basics of SIP Telephony. Then, move on to the specifics of the Avaya technology.

#5 johnnymanson

johnnymanson

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 06:59 AM

Googleing that now.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!