• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:39 AM

I recently upgraded some components of my computer and was wondering, if I now go for a new power supply, will I be putting to much power into it with a 1000w? 4 gb ram an nvidia 460 and an amd 6000 dual core and 1 hd

To much or am I good?'

EDIT: Well i hope not i put it in anyway lol.
It will only use what i plug in i think right?

Edited by 5imp7y, 18 November 2010 - 07:06 PM.

#2 johnnymanson

johnnymanson

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 09:10 PM

The only problem is if your power supply cannot deliver enough power to run all of your components. A 1000 watt power supply is no problem if your devices consume less that 1000 watts. The problem occurs if you have a 500 watt power supply and your devices need more than 500 watts.

#3 tekio

tekio

5(R1P7 |<1DD13

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:41 AM

I don't know much about how electronics work. But from my overclocking experience, I know that the MoBo regulates how much current (voltage) is made available to the CPU and other components connected to the buses. So, if you tweak the voltage too high, yes too much will release the "magic smoke" in the components. I've accidentally increased the voltage wwaayy to high and saw a brand new MoBo go up in flames (literally). If you ever fry a component, you'll know. The smell is unmistakable.

#4 Lord Wud

Lord Wud

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:24 PM

It will only use what i plug in i think right?

Right.

#5 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:23 PM

Well im currently using to molexs a 24 pin, a 4 pin 2 pci express, 2 sata power things and i dont have any thing to worry about that i know of yet... So far so good
Danke
~5imp7y

#6 livinded

livinded

Dangerous free thinker

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 02:47 PM

The other thing you should consider is how power efficient your power supply is. There are a lot of lower quality ones out there that use a ton of power which is essentially wasted.

#7 phaedrus

phaedrus

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 03:09 AM

No, but there is a thing as too many fans whirring away to cool a overspec'd blinged up hipo psu ;)

I have been down the route of bigpsu's and gamer style led displays all over the case with multiple case fans, but one day I finally realized I didn't need all that power in my desktop as I reach for other boxen in another room for heavy cpu stuff anyway and just use my local machine as a x server, and now run a fanless mini pc. Now I have to put music on to stop my room being silent rather than listening to case and psu fans whirring away. And it lets me turn it off and think when I need to meditate on some problem quietly...

I keep the shiney blinged up monster pc for when I have a beer and electronics party because it still looks cool, even if its basically redundant.

#8 Trikk

Trikk

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 12:41 PM

Just because it's a 1000W power supply, doesn't mean it's more powerful than a 650W or a 500W and can still under-power your electronics. Consider reading up on the rails of the power supply, and read user reviews. I remember having a power supply come in for black friday that all of our customers went crazy for, because it was a 1000W power supply for an extremely cheap price. The week after, we had daily returns of it for under-powering their stuff based on the fact that it had really crappy rails.

#9 TheFunk

TheFunk

SUP3R 31337

• Binrev Financier
  • 187 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 09:24 PM

By the way, it used to be that, in terms of energy efficiency, a good sign that you had in your hands a quality PSU was a small seal that said something to the effect of "80 plus ______ certified".

I bought a 750w PSU last year to power the box I built, and I made sure it was at least 80 plus certified before buying it.(It's an Antec Earthwatts and I believe it's actually 80 plus bronze) Anyway, it's becoming like an industry standard so most PSU's are certified nowadays, but it's still useful to know.

Edited by TheFunk, 30 December 2010 - 09:25 PM.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!