Photo
- - - - -

Trouble networking two virtualbox machines.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bluMyst

bluMyst

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 08:58 PM

Hello, everyone! I'm trying to do a pentest with a two VirtualBox machines; Damn Vulnerable Linux as the victim and Backtrack 4 R1 as the attacker. My virtualization software is VirtualBox, and I can't manage to configure it so that both VMs can connect to each other.

After some Googling I discovered that in order to network them I have to configure them both to use internal networking, so I turned that on with Devices > Network Adapters > Internal Network. After doing that to both of them my BT4 box says that it can't get an IP address (which makes sense, because I don't have a DHCP server on that network) and my DVL box just acts really weird. (ifconfig keeps saying that its ip address is 10.0.2.15 or something.) I would configure both of them to have a static IP, but I don't know what to make that IP. (Because it could be anywhere from 192.168.0.* to 192.168.255.*)

After that I decided to try some of the other networking options (keep in mind that I don't understand ANY of them). And for the most part the results were the same.

I can still connect both of them to the internet if I just select NAT (the only option I understand), but then the VMs can't see each-other and they both for some reason have an IP address of 10.0.2.15.

So, what's going on? How can I connect these two so that I can do a simple pentest with them?

EDIT: I finally managed to get this working by following this guide:
http://opensourceexp...ows-vista-host/

Edited by bluMyst, 18 November 2010 - 01:59 AM.

#2 DaGeneral

DaGeneral

the 0ne

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 07:39 PM

Hello, everyone! I'm trying to do a pentest with a two VirtualBox machines; Damn Vulnerable Linux as the victim and Backtrack 4 R1 as the attacker. My virtualization software is VirtualBox, and I can't manage to configure it so that both VMs can connect to each other.

After some Googling I discovered that in order to network them I have to configure them both to use internal networking, so I turned that on with Devices > Network Adapters > Internal Network. After doing that to both of them my BT4 box says that it can't get an IP address (which makes sense, because I don't have a DHCP server on that network) and my DVL box just acts really weird. (ifconfig keeps saying that its ip address is 10.0.2.15 or something.) I would configure both of them to have a static IP, but I don't know what to make that IP. (Because it could be anywhere from 192.168.0.* to 192.168.255.*)

After that I decided to try some of the other networking options (keep in mind that I don't understand ANY of them). And for the most part the results were the same.

I can still connect both of them to the internet if I just select NAT (the only option I understand), but then the VMs can't see each-other and they both for some reason have an IP address of 10.0.2.15.

So, what's going on? How can I connect these two so that I can do a simple pentest with them?

EDIT: I finally managed to get this working by following this guide:
http://opensourceexp...ows-vista-host/

Either bridged adapter or internal network should be fine for it.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!