• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 06:59 PM

So here at my college they have some stupid connection protection thing and i am begging to think they just wont let me connect cause linux is better than them... anyway...
When you connect to their unsecured network it is no problem i get a connection and all, and then when i open my browser and go to lets say google for all intensive purposes, it redirects me to their validation thing where i enter my user name and password... or well it is supposed to do that... The site is just supposed to ask for my pword and id number but it never does, it says connection interrupted.

I am fairly sure i have an ip address but i cant "Get out" of their network to get to the good ol' WWW. lol.

I ran in terminal sudo ifconfig and it lists 3 devices which i cant copy over cause im on their fail computers...

Names are etho, lo, wlan0. Not sure where my ip would be listed. it isnt inet addr is it?

Any help would be great cause the tech people tell me to get windows or osx so they can help me. I refuse to go back to windows after running a sleek OS such as this. Thanks all!!!

~5imp7y

#2 eldiablo

eldiablo

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:42 AM

So here at my college they have some stupid connection protection thing and i am begging to think they just wont let me connect cause linux is better than them... anyway...
When you connect to their unsecured network it is no problem i get a connection and all, and then when i open my browser and go to lets say google for all intensive purposes, it redirects me to their validation thing where i enter my user name and password... or well it is supposed to do that... The site is just supposed to ask for my pword and id number but it never does, it says connection interrupted.

I am fairly sure i have an ip address but i cant "Get out" of their network to get to the good ol' WWW. lol.

I ran in terminal sudo ifconfig and it lists 3 devices which i cant copy over cause im on their fail computers...

Names are etho, lo, wlan0. Not sure where my ip would be listed. it isnt inet addr is it?

Any help would be great cause the tech people tell me to get windows or osx so they can help me. I refuse to go back to windows after running a sleek OS such as this. Thanks all!!!

~5imp7y

eth0 is going to be the wired network interface, wlan0 is going to be the wireless network interface, and lo is the loopback interface (it's IP will always be 127.0.0.1). inet is the IP address for a network interface. I am not familiar with the network set up that you are on, but it could be that the system works "properly" with Internet Explorer on Windows. That said, you may want to try the user agent switcher add-on for Firefox. This will trick it into thinking you are using IE. It may work, it may not. No harm in trying.

https://addons.mozil...refox/addon/59/

#3 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:37 AM

I will give it a try when next semester starts, but i booted into windows and then used Google chrome and firefox without issues.

More info on the network:
I am still not sure what it is called, but it is a secured (my network connections has a lock on it), but you do not need to enter a WEP, WPA or any key. When you connect and then open your browser and try, lets say Google, It redirects me to a wifi log in, much like if you were in a Starbucks attempting to use their, "Free" wifi. After I enter my student id/ password, it redirects me to the original url i had attempted to navigate to.

Further testing:
I noticed i am able to ping out on linux and i do have an ip address. But just the browser will not work!!!

I went to the "Tech Support" (or lack there of) people(again) to get the answer i expected, "It is for windows or mac."

In the mean time(or until next semester) i am just going to hijack an Ethernet jack from an unused computer (i am evil :-)

Thanks for the reply, i almost lost hope

~5imp7y

#4 TheFunk

TheFunk

SUP3R 31337

• Binrev Financier
  • 187 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 06:04 PM

I will give it a try when next semester starts, but i booted into windows and then used Google chrome and firefox without issues.

I am still not sure what it is called, but it is a secured (my network connections has a lock on it), but you do not need to enter a WEP, WPA or any key. When you connect and then open your browser and try, lets say Google, It redirects me to a wifi log in, much like if you were in a Starbucks attempting to use their, "Free" wifi. After I enter my student id/ password, it redirects me to the original url i had attempted to navigate to.

Further testing:
I noticed i am able to ping out on linux and i do have an ip address. But just the browser will not work!!!

I went to the "Tech Support" (or lack there of) people(again) to get the answer i expected, "It is for windows or mac."

In the mean time(or until next semester) i am just going to hijack an Ethernet jack from an unused computer (i am evil :-)

~5imp7y

Hello sir,

First of all, I run Mint 9 as well, and it is indeed awesome, so good choice of operating system 5imp7y. Secondly, I find it very interesting that you could access the net with OS X and not Linux, considering OS X is just glorified Unix.

Anyway, if you're connecting to wifi wlan0 will be what you want to look at after running ifconfig. HWaddr = hardware address = your MAC (Media Access Control) address. Don't give that one out to anyone. inetaddr = your ip address like you thought, so if you have an address there then you're connected. Try using wine to install the dreaded Intarwebz-Explorerer and see if IE running under Wine gets you past the login screen. If it does, I might have an idea or two for you.

You can easily install IE in Wine by using a program called "Winedoors" which you can find via Synaptics Package Manager.

Hope this helps!

#5 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:09 PM

Further testing:

~5imp7y

Hello sir,

First of all, I run Mint 9 as well, and it is indeed awesome, so good choice of operating system 5imp7y. Secondly, I find it very interesting that you could access the net with OS X and not Linux, considering OS X is just glorified Unix.

Anyway, if you're connecting to wifi wlan0 will be what you want to look at after running ifconfig. HWaddr = hardware address = your MAC (Media Access Control) address. Don't give that one out to anyone. inetaddr = your ip address like you thought, so if you have an address there then you're connected. Try using wine to install the dreaded Intarwebz-Explorerer and see if IE running under Wine gets you past the login screen. If it does, I might have an idea or two for you.

You can easily install IE in Wine by using a program called "Winedoors" which you can find via Synaptics Package Manager.

Hope this helps!

I tried opera instead of IE and it works. So odd that firefox doesnt like this network, i have never had this problem before...

Thanks for the help.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!