• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

BinRev veteran

• Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 06:12 PM

Has anybody called the Boston time lately? As of yesterday, it's been routing to weather on the same machine for some reason. There's more people talking on it than usual, too.

By the way, if you've never heard the Boston weather announcement, give it a call - not only is it in kind of an interesting situation right now (stay on, and you can hear the start of permanent signal from the 5ESS serving it), you'll need a black route to hear it in any other situation; the weather prefix is local only.

617-637-xxxx (any four digits will do)

#2 JmanA9

JmanA9

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:46 AM

I've been calling both the time and the weather every day for at least a month. The 637 exchange seems to "accidentally" route to the weather from time to time. I haven't been able to get through to the time since Saturday. I get the Audichron machine's ringing tone, and that's as far as it goes.

For some reason, I can get through to the weather on my Verizon cell phone, even though I'm not in Boston. Can you reach it through Verizon Long Distance outside of Boston?

I'm thinking that both the time and the weather are about to be history. The weather hasn't been updated in over a month, right? Today is one of the biggest days for the machine's use. Either they killed it, and they want people to know, or the massive amounts of people calling to see if they missed church killed it.

I still keep wondering if the locals don't get dropped off the trunk when they get cut off from the time announcement. There's almost always people talking during the recording, it's weird!

Edited by JmanA9, 08 November 2010 - 12:48 AM.

#3 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

BinRev veteran

• Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 06:47 PM

I dunno if they killed it, that test message on the weather came into play in September. The continuous ringing came for a while before that, and I'm guessing people aren't used to having to take care of it. 

For some reason, I can get through to the weather on my Verizon cell phone, even though I'm not in Boston. Can you reach it through Verizon Long Distance outside of Boston?

I've tried it from a ton of Verizon CACs, I think you really do have to be local to get it :/ .

Whatever the case, I hope they find some reason to keep the weather going. It'd be cool if they let people apply for something like this. Even better, it'd be great if by some miracle we could get the forum to take shifts updating it.

As for the time, it could be someone just goofed when they were trying to update it for daylight savings time. It doesn't seem like a coincidence that it stopped working the day before the switch.

#4 JmanA9

JmanA9

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:08 PM

The time is back up. The weather system is still being "tested."

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!