Photo
- - - - -

Google 411 Closing!!!!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Poll: Google 411 Closing!!!!

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

would you help to try to save goog411

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 n00blet

n00blet

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 09:01 AM

we all knew this would happen because goog411 was to improve Google's voice recognition. what will happen to our prank calls? How will we find business's with ease? The Google says goog411 will be closing November 12, 2010. we shall all weep as this great service is annihilated.

#2 resistor X

resistor X

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:56 PM

Ick. I hate that thing. Now everyone knows who voted "hate it". <_<

Edited by resistor X, 19 October 2010 - 07:56 PM.

#3 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:23 PM

Ick. I hate that thing. Now everyone knows who voted "hate it". <_<

i was one of the who cares.. b/c i rarely used goog 411... and there are a shit ton of other similar services...

#4 ozlo

ozlo

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:16 PM

Darn. It was a useful tool, especially once I registered on of my numbers as a business.
Now the question is how long until Google begins limiting and/or charging for outgoing calls on Google Voice? I see a repeat of what happened with a lot of internet sites and services once they moved from the 90s into the 2000s -- they either began charging for their previously free services, or they shut down altogether.

#5 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:18 PM

Darn. It was a useful tool, especially once I registered on of my numbers as a business.
Now the question is how long until Google begins limiting and/or charging for outgoing calls on Google Voice? I see a repeat of what happened with a lot of internet sites and services once they moved from the 90s into the 2000s -- they either began charging for their previously free services, or they shut down altogether.

i would gladly pay for google voice - probably would not use my fake GV accounts if they started charging... but i would pay to use the one printed up on all of my business cards...

#6 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

BinRev veteran

• Members
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 04:10 PM

Ick. I hate that thing.

What makes it bad enough to be hated? I'll be honest, I really didn't care too much about the service - I think the most I got out of it was a free call to a conference from a payphone, or a few laughs when it was way off with speech recognition. I usually use one of the competing services, or on occasion one of the directory assistance backdoors you'll see in the some numbers section.

As for Google Voice, they're able to pay for domestic calls by subsidies from international calls. I wouldn't be surprised if they started charging, though. Someone linked me to an article a few months ago where they basically said "yeah, guys, we can't keep this subsidy up forever".

As much as I like the idea of a pseudo-anonymous number, I think I can live without a service like this either. Most of the time when I need a disposable incoming number, I'll tell someone to call me on a loop.

#7 n00blet

n00blet

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 09:42 PM

i dont have to money for long distance so if google voice closes im done for i wont be able to call confs or anyone so i hope old customers are grandfathered in

Edited by n00blet, 30 October 2010 - 09:42 PM.

#8 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 11:38 AM

i dont have to money for long distance so if google voice closes im done for i wont be able to call confs or anyone so i hope old customers are grandfathered in

their are other ways to make free calls... although most of them are not as convenient or easy to use, and most have a time limit... but there are plenty of other options....

http://evaphone.com/

http://www.icall.com/

all of those betamax VoIP services such as http://voipbuster.com or http://voipstunt.com - but i believe that they all require credit in your account to qualify for the free credits (supposedly to prevent/reduce fraud or something)

http://jaxtr.com

http://ringplus.net

i could probably keep going.... but ending google voice would not be the end of free calls.... it would just make it more difficult to accomplish free calls..

but with cellular rates what they are - $20 gets you 400 minutes and $30 gets you 1500 minutes with virgin mobile, then their are all of the ~$50 unlimited plans... for those near a walmart, they are supposed to get their own brand cell phones as an MVNO of Tmobile, for $45 unlimited, and additional lines are $25 - which would make it the cheapest unlimited cell phone service currently available...

with all of that said... i hope that they do not close G V not because of the free calls, i could care less about another way to get free calls... i rather do not want them to close because i like all the additional features that it provides to me, that i can not get elsewhere (except perhaps ring central) plus i have my G V number on all of my business cards... and i have 2 vanity google voice numbers that i am still not sure what to do with...

i just want them to do something with gizmo5 already... they have not announced anything (that i am aware of) since they took over gizmo5 and closed it to new sign-ups.. (i have 1 gizmo5 account.. but if they add SIP compatibility with google voice + gizmo5 as i am hoping, i would love to set up a few SPA2102 or other ATA devices..

#9 n00blet

n00blet

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 01:01 PM

you can use sip with gizmo5 username=username password=password Domain=proxy01.sipphone.com voila gizmo works with any sip phone

#10 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 04:16 PM

you can use sip with gizmo5 username=username password=password Domain=proxy01.sipphone.com voila gizmo works with any sip phone

yes i know.. but that is only good for free incoming calls with google voice... or using click to call for free outgoing calls... i am hoping for some integration where i can just dial from an ATA from my google voice number... which i do not think is asking for too much since Google took over the gizmo5 project..

the only way to accomplish that right now with gizmo5 would be to buy gizmo credits and call my GV number, then dial out from their.. or use the click to call, all which is either overly complicated, or takes more steps to complete a call than acceptable for daily use...

#11 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

BinRev veteran

• Members
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 04:24 PM

How much are you expecting to pay? Calls are pretty much too cheap to steal these days, why do you think Google gives them out for free?

#12 n00blet

n00blet

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 09:29 PM

i believe there is a python script that will relay dialed digits to the gv click to call then answers the call in Astrix, you could connect an ata ...problem solved

#13 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 11:12 PM

i believe there is a python script that will relay dialed digits to the gv click to call then answers the call in Astrix, you could connect an ata ...problem solved

this is more complicated than it needs to be, and would at minimum add a delay to the time it takes for the number to begin to ring...

for ease of use, it needs to pass the spouse test, can the wife pick up the phone and make a call? if not it is too complicated...

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!