• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:26 PM

i am familiar with the 700 NPA - and the fact that it seems that they pretty much failed at catching on main stream...

but it appears that the 500 NPA and 533 NPA also failed to catch on.. but the NANPA has just released a planning letter that will be introducing the 544 NPA towards the 4th quarter of the year...

NANPA page for 500 NPA http://nanpa.com/nas...thod=displayNpa
planning letter for 544 NPA http://www.nanpa.com/pdf/PL_411.pdf

if these things have not really caught on, what is the need for a 3rd NPA? what services actually use these NPAs

#2 Rpm

Rpm

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:21 PM

I used to have a number that was either NPA 700 or 500 (I think it was 700 but I don't remember it was over 10 years ago) that would tell you the telephone service provider when you called it.I'll try to dig out my old notebooks this weekend and see if I still have it wrote down somewhere.
O ,I believe it was an at&t number if memory serves me right..

#3 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:41 PM

I used to have a number that was either NPA 700 or 500 (I think it was 700 but I don't remember it was over 10 years ago) that would tell you the telephone service provider when you called it.I'll try to dig out my old notebooks this weekend and see if I still have it wrote down somewhere.

700-555-4141 is universal for all carriers, it tells you who your long distance provider is (does not work with cellular or VoIP to my knowledge)

numbers in the 700 NPA can only be called from the same carrier that the number is on... so each carrier might use 700-555-1212 for something, but depending on what carrier you were calling from would depend on what one you connected to...

so far with my own testing, every random 700NPA number that i have dialed with optimum voice sends me to optimum directory assistance, including the 700-555-4141 number...

#4 JmanA9

JmanA9

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 12:46 PM

700-555 doesn't seem to be a valid exchange. Optimum Voice is probably using a catch-all for any NPX-555-1212. When I dial it on my VZW cell phone, I get a CBCAD recording.

#5 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:36 PM

700-555 doesn't seem to be a valid exchange. Optimum Voice is probably using a catch-all for any NPX-555-1212. When I dial it on my VZW cell phone, I get a CBCAD recording.

yea of course you are going to get a CBCAD recording when calling a 700NPA number from your cell phone... try calling 700-555-4141 from a landline...

it IS a valid number, and the only number that is the same regardless of who your long distance provider is... oh, and i stated that every number in the 700NPA that i have attempted to dial with optimum voice dumped me to their directory assistance, not just a NPA-555-1212 number...

Edited by nyphonejacks, 01 October 2010 - 01:37 PM.

#6 ic0n

ic0n

Fear teh phone!

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:32 PM

I found some of my old notebooks, it had that scan we did @ Ohio Linux Fest a few years back. I should be down your way maybe next week. We could just get teh wife's together and get some projects done.

#7 chronomex

chronomex

mad 1337

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 02:31 AM

yea of course you are going to get a CBCAD recording when calling a 700NPA number from your cell phone... try calling 700-555-4141 from a landline...

it IS a valid number, and the only number that is the same regardless of who your long distance provider is... oh, and i stated that every number in the 700NPA that i have attempted to dial with optimum voice dumped me to their directory assistance, not just a NPA-555-1212 number...

NPA 700 is a lot like the phone company equivalent of 192.168.*.*. Each phone company can define it to do whatever they want.

#8 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 01:34 PM

NPA 700 is a lot like the phone company equivalent of 192.168.*.*. Each phone company can define it to do whatever they want.

vonage is one of the few phone companies that take advantage of the 700NPA - for various services according to what i have been reading (have not had vonage for about 5 years, so can not confirm...

i am still confused as to what the 500, 533, and 544 NPAs are being used for...

#9 bowtie

bowtie

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:43 AM

As far as I know, no canadian carrier has implemented the 500 npa since they were introduced.

#10 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:48 PM

As far as I know, no canadian carrier has implemented the 500 npa since they were introduced.

then you can look here for the assignments
http://www.nationaln...&reportType=500

and here are the assignments for the 533 NPA
http://www.nationaln...&reportType=533

they are assigned to different carriers... i am just curious to what they are being used for... and why they need to open up a new NPA...

#11 bowtie

bowtie

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:59 PM

http://www.nanpa.com/pdf/PL_394.pdf

^^^ nanpa planning letter explaining the purpose. Why not email the lady in the letter and ask?

#12 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:23 AM

http://www.nanpa.com/pdf/PL_394.pdf

^^^ nanpa planning letter explaining the purpose. Why not email the lady in the letter and ask?

i have already read the planning letters - i get all new planning letters emailed directly to me... and already am aware of the official use for these numbers

The 500 NPA is a non-geographic Service Access Code (SAC) used for personal communications services. As stated in the PCS (5YY) NXX Code Assignment Guidelines, personal communication service is a set of capabilities that allows some combination of personal mobility, terminal mobility, and service profile management. It enables each personal communication service user to participate in a user-defined set of subscribed services, and to initiate and/or receive calls on the basis of some combination of a personal number, terminal number, and a service profile across multiple networks at any terminal, fixed or mobile, irrespective of geographic location.

which i get the general idea of what they are for...

what i do not get is what are these carriers actually using these NPAs for.. what is actually connected to the other end of these phone numbers, and has anyone ever come across anything in these area codes?

#13 chronomex

chronomex

mad 1337

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:21 PM

what i do not get is what are these carriers actually using these NPAs for.. what is actually connected to the other end of these phone numbers, and has anyone ever come across anything in these area codes?

500 numbers are primarily used as routing numbers for ONSTAR. I spoke to a person at a telco with some blocks in NPA 500 and he said they're almost all used for that.

#14 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:15 PM

500 numbers are primarily used as routing numbers for ONSTAR. I spoke to a person at a telco with some blocks in NPA 500 and he said they're almost all used for that.

makes sense and would explain why they would need a new NPA soon... i assumed that they used a local NPA with onstar, but a non-geographical one would make more sense...

so if i were to scan some of these numbers i would in theory connect to someones onstar? seems more interesting than i originaly was hoping for...

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!