Photo
- - - - -

Has anyone heard?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dialtone

Dialtone

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:20 AM

The story of the phreak who called the presidents bomb shelter? Do you think it's true? It does make for an amusing story one way or the other... I think I first read it in the Hackers Handbook some years back. I had a flash back of it this morning as I was checking this forum so I googled it: "story of the phreak who called the presidents bomb shelter", and sure enough it was the top link. It's an enjoyable 5 minute read if you haven't heard/read it before.

Thinking about it, in todays society calling anyplace like that without good reason you would be apt to get yourself shot/locked up... I wouldn't even like to know the number... hell with all the terrorist activitys something like that is serious. Actually, even if I did have an excellent reason to call I still wouldn't. Mess around with fire like that and you are gonna get burned.

#2 JmanA9

JmanA9

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:43 PM

I've never heard this story before. It doesn't surprise me that things like this were discovered by phreaks. What does surprise me, however, is that the author published the number that the phreak called. Even if the number doesn't work anymore (I haven't tried dialing it because I only hack da fedz at McDonalds), I'm surprised that it got published. Something just doesn't seem right. Also, I think you'd have to be pretty damn high up to know someone who knows the number to one of the president's bomb shelters. Some of the story seems fabricated to me.

#3 dmine45

dmine45

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:17 AM

You mean the infamous NPA-840-xxxx number? Yeah, I think they're all gone now. The 710 NPA pretty much replaced the use of NPA-840-xxxx (only a few NPAs ever used that NXX code for that purpose, forget which ones off the top of my head).

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!