11 replies to this topic

#1 catnobox

catnobox

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:33 AM

Hey all,
I was doing some wardialing off of a google email account with the new call feature and came across a carrier... Its been probably 15 years since I've had a computer with a modem, and was wondering, is it possible to create a software modem to connect to one of these numbers using google's calling features? Sorry if this is a silly question, just occurred to me tonight as I was doing this, thought I'd ask

Catnobox

#2 jfalcon

jfalcon

Hakker addict

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 591 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:58 AM

Hey all,
I was doing some wardialing off of a google email account with the new call feature and came across a carrier... Its been probably 15 years since I've had a computer with a modem, and was wondering, is it possible to create a software modem to connect to one of these numbers using google's calling features? Sorry if this is a silly question, just occurred to me tonight as I was doing this, thought I'd ask

Catnobox

If you're sure it's a modem the answer is no.. there is no software modem (unless you mean Winmodem which doesn't count).
If you think it's a fax machine, then yes.. there is iaxmodem.

#3 Afterm4th

Afterm4th

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 02:43 AM

This is an awesome question.

I wish i had just as awesome of an answer.

A really cool coding project would be to use your sound card to capture and talk back to the modem through google.

#4 catnobox

catnobox

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:49 PM

This is an awesome question.

I wish i had just as awesome of an answer.

A really cool coding project would be to use your sound card to capture and talk back to the modem through google.

I thought about looping the audio back through the soundcard, but I think that latency might be an issue, giving you issues of parity and what not... I know that asterisk can handle faxes, so it might be possible to do something through that?

#5 rbcp

rbcp

SUP3R 31337

• Moderating Team
  • 162 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 05:51 PM

I'm going to try and connect to a BBS via a second computer hooked to my computer with Google Voice. That would be cool if it worked. I'll let you know how it goes.

catnobox, has it really been 15 years since you had a modem? That would have been 1995, when most people were running at 14.4 and 28.8kbps and just discovering the internet. What'd you have in 1995?

#6 catnobox

catnobox

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 06:25 PM

I'm going to try and connect to a BBS via a second computer hooked to my computer with Google Voice. That would be cool if it worked. I'll let you know how it goes.

catnobox, has it really been 15 years since you had a modem? That would have been 1995, when most people were running at 14.4 and 28.8kbps and just discovering the internet. What'd you have in 1995?

RB,
In '95 I think I was actually running a 486dx 33mhz with a 25 meg HD... I was 15, and it was one of my first computers... I am fairly certain that the modem (second hand like the rest of the machine I cobbled together) had a 9600 baud momdem in it... Let me know if you have any luck with the g-voice stuff, Im playing with some ideas and code myself.

catnobox.

#7 dmine45

dmine45

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:14 AM

I've connected to BBS systems (the few dial-up ones that are left - under 50 at my last count) via Google Voice. It does work but not very well. If you cut down the speed to around 14.4k it works reasonably well. Past that there are too many errors and either the modems can't establish a connection or they're constantly doing error correction and it's really slow.

#8 catnobox

catnobox

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 01:21 PM

I've connected to BBS systems (the few dial-up ones that are left - under 50 at my last count) via Google Voice. It does work but not very well. If you cut down the speed to around 14.4k it works reasonably well. Past that there are too many errors and either the modems can't establish a connection or they're constantly doing error correction and it's really slow.

excuse my ignorance, but would you mind outlining, at least in the broad strokes how you went about doing this?

#9 dmine45

dmine45

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:35 AM

excuse my ignorance, but would you mind outlining, at least in the broad strokes how you went about doing this?

I'm sort of old school, so you may have to excuse me for talking about old stuff.

I have an old Zoom analog modem with built in processor (i.e. it's not a winmodem). You can use a winmodem, but you need a Windoze program to run it. Sure you can use Hyperterm or whatever is on the box, but I don't care for it.

On my Windoze box, I use Telix 3.51 for DOS since I know it works with the modem and supports ANSI color codes with BBS systems.

Open up a command window, run Telix.

Then at the window I use the old ATDT commands. Using a comma in the dial string adds a two second delay. If you don't use commas, then the dialing program will time out with "NO CARRIER" after about 60 seconds.

So I use the dial string to dial the Google Voice number

ATDT555-555-5555,,,,,,,,,,

(of course use your own Google Voice number. The commas are just to delay the built in timer. Add as many as you think you may need.)

Then after it dials Google Voice, I go in on a landline phone on the same line, key in *, then the PIN, select 2 for outgoing call, and dial the destination number, then hang up the phone.

Then the modem at the distant end answers, the modems handshake, and then you use it as normal.

I'm sure if I played with the timing and such I can make a dial string with the PIN, pressing 2 for outgoing, and the destination number - but that's too much work :)

Edited by dmine45, 21 September 2010 - 06:36 AM.

#10 Lord Wud

Lord Wud

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:24 AM

So you're dialing your google voice number from your standard phone line, then setting up a three legged call to the remote number? That is pretty cool, but not quite what they were looking for.

What I am most interested in is these 50 or so dial up bbs's that are still in operation. Is there a list maintained somewhere? or are these of a hush hush nature? I haven't had a land line in about 7 years, but I would still be interested in trying them out for nostalgia's sake.

I'm sort of old school, so you may have to excuse me for talking about old stuff.

I have an old Zoom analog modem with built in processor (i.e. it's not a winmodem). You can use a winmodem, but you need a Windoze program to run it. Sure you can use Hyperterm or whatever is on the box, but I don't care for it.

On my Windoze box, I use Telix 3.51 for DOS since I know it works with the modem and supports ANSI color codes with BBS systems.

Open up a command window, run Telix.

Then at the window I use the old ATDT commands. Using a comma in the dial string adds a two second delay. If you don't use commas, then the dialing program will time out with "NO CARRIER" after about 60 seconds.

So I use the dial string to dial the Google Voice number

ATDT555-555-5555,,,,,,,,,,

(of course use your own Google Voice number. The commas are just to delay the built in timer. Add as many as you think you may need.)

Then after it dials Google Voice, I go in on a landline phone on the same line, key in *, then the PIN, select 2 for outgoing call, and dial the destination number, then hang up the phone.

Then the modem at the distant end answers, the modems handshake, and then you use it as normal.

I'm sure if I played with the timing and such I can make a dial string with the PIN, pressing 2 for outgoing, and the destination number - but that's too much work :)

#11 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 12:12 PM

So you're dialing your google voice number from your standard phone line, then setting up a three legged call to the remote number? That is pretty cool, but not quite what they were looking for.

What I am most interested in is these 50 or so dial up bbs's that are still in operation. Is there a list maintained somewhere? or are these of a hush hush nature? I haven't had a land line in about 7 years, but I would still be interested in trying them out for nostalgia's sake.

The Telnet BBS Guide keeps a list of the public dialin BBSes in North America. There were around 30 left last time I checked. You can also find a few on USENET groups, but most of the ones announced there have already been added to the BBS list. I still dial the Grex system fairly regularly (at least, when I'm somewhere that has a landline). They're down to a single modem now, as opposed to the 15 or so they had running when I first started using the system.

#12 dmine45

dmine45

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 04:42 PM

I maintain the Dial-up BBS Guide as a subset of the Telnet BBS Guide:

http://www.telnetbbsguide.com/dialbbs/

I update the list every three months. I'll update it in the next few days for the October-December 2010 period this upcoming weekend.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!