• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:35 PM

not quite sure if they integrated google voice into gmail, or gizmo5 or whatever, but google has just released an update or whatever you want to call it to allow calls to PSTN numbers from gmail...

http://gmailblog.blo...from-gmail.html

Gmail voice and video chat makes it easy to stay in touch with friends and family using your computer’s microphone and speakers. But until now, this required both people to be at their computers, signed into Gmail at the same time. Given that most of us don’t spend all day in front of our computers, we thought, “wouldn’t it be nice if you could call people directly on their phones?”

Starting today, you can call any phone right from Gmail.

If you have a Google Voice phone number, calls made from Gmail will display this number as the outbound caller ID. And if you decide to, you can receive calls made to this number right inside Gmail (see instructions).

#2 dmine45

dmine45

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:27 PM

not quite sure if they integrated google voice into gmail, or gizmo5 or whatever, but google has just released an update or whatever you want to call it to allow calls to PSTN numbers from gmail...

Reminds me a lot of Gizmo5. Looks like Google is trying to kill Skype. I wish them luck! :)

#3 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 06:59 PM

I just tried it, it's weird, I can call real phones from... gmail! It's free for the US and Canada for 2010

#4 rbcp

rbcp

SUP3R 31337

• Moderating Team
  • 162 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:11 PM

I love Skype, but I hope this makes them lower their prices.

#5 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:34 PM

I love Skype, but I hope this makes them lower their prices.

seems like a lot of people like skype - for whatever reason that i can not understand, as the call quality sucks... even when i had it running on a dedicated PC just so i could use skype with a phone adapter connected to my home phones the quality was terrible...

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!