• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 flarn2006

flarn2006

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:36 PM

For a while I have been wondering what number my Broadview home security system dials. Today I used the communications test feature with the phone off the hook and against my computer's microphone. However, when I started the test, the dial tone just stopped and I didn't hear any dialing, though it still indicated the test was successful. It's probably connected to the phone line in a different way than the regular telephone. If I lift the cover on the system's control box, I can see the phone cord plugged into a phone jack. Probably if this is unplugged and instead plugged into a regular phone jack (using a telephone extension cord) I will be able to hear it dialing. Unfortunately, however, my mom won't let me do that. Would somebody else please do it for me, so I can find out what number it dials, but not get in trouble? If you could record the entire call that would be great. Thanks to whoever does it!

(By the way, if you know the number the Brinks people sometimes call that says "You've reached the Central Station" and asks for a user ID and password, please post that too.)

#2 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

DDP r0x0rz my s0x0rz

• Members
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:47 PM

Would somebody else please do it for me, so I can find out what number it dials, but not get in trouble?

I think you'd get in more trouble if one of us showed up at your house and asked your mom if she needed help haxxing her security system.

It's possible that your phone is connected through the security system to the telephone line, and it simply disables that jack when it needs to dial out. Try connecting to your line from the telephone network interface on the side of your house instead.

#3 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:10 PM

For a while I have been wondering what number my Broadview home security system dials. Today I used the communications test feature with the phone off the hook and against my computer's microphone. However, when I started the test, the dial tone just stopped and I didn't hear any dialing, though it still indicated the test was successful. It's probably connected to the phone line in a different way than the regular telephone. If I lift the cover on the system's control box, I can see the phone cord plugged into a phone jack. Probably if this is unplugged and instead plugged into a regular phone jack (using a telephone extension cord) I will be able to hear it dialing. Unfortunately, however, my mom won't let me do that. Would somebody else please do it for me, so I can find out what number it dials, but not get in trouble? If you could record the entire call that would be great. Thanks to whoever does it!

(By the way, if you know the number the Brinks people sometimes call that says "You've reached the Central Station" and asks for a user ID and password, please post that too.)

losing the dial tone on your phone wiring inside your home when the alarm system dials out just means that your alarm system is wired properly... the wiring from the NID goes directly into the alarm system, and then comes out of the alarm and feeds the phone jacks in your home.. this is done so that your alarm can seize the phone line and call into the central monitoring station at any time... (it also prevents an ROH or short on the inside wiring from affecting the ability of the alarm system from dialing out)

if you have DSL, then chances are that the line connected to the DSL is home run from the NID, because the alarm system needs to be filtered, and since the alarm is the first point of all of your inside wiring, then DSL would not work if the alarm system was filtered, and the modem was connected to a jack wired to the FXS side of the alarm system...

connect a DMTF decoder into the DSL jack and run the test again... or as suggested prior, connect the DMTF decoder at the NID (with alligator clips, so you do not disconnect the dial tone going into the alarm system) then run the test...

#4 flarn2006

flarn2006

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:45 PM

What I mean is can someone else on this forum with a Broadview security system do it in their own home for me, and then post the number? I would do it myself, but my parents don't want me messing around with our phone connection or security system.

#5 Rpm

Rpm

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 12:00 PM

I'm interested in this too-but I don't use the service.. I'll talk to some friends though and if any of them use it and will let me play around ,I will post it here-keep your fingers crossed for me :)

#6 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

DDP r0x0rz my s0x0rz

• Members
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:54 PM

I actually never even heard of them until I was trying to research Broadview Networks' DEX network. It turns out they have more of a relation to MagicJack than they do to Broadview Security.

Anyway, though, there's no guarantee anybody else here has anything of the sort. Why not just pop it (or the TNI, or DSL jack as nyphonejacks mentioned) open while they're sleeping/away?

#7 flarn2006

flarn2006

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:43 AM

Well I finally figured it out. I noticed my FiOS telephone service recently got an upgrade that logs calls and lets me view them on the TV. So I did a comm test and looked at the logs. The number it dialed was (800) 752-6437. I called it and heard some weird noises, but it didn't sound like a standard modem. Anyone recognize the sounds it makes as a certain type of connection?

#8 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

DDP r0x0rz my s0x0rz

• Members
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:04 AM

I'm not sure what kind of data modulation that is, but these have popped up before. Mostly in COs or random toll-frees in former GTE ranges, but not always. Here's a similar one that doesn't seem to have any kind of phone company affiliation; 503-635-0705.

What's interesting about these things with proprietary modem doohickeys is they'll sometimes allow a fallback to an ordinary modulation standard. So your best bet is to try just connecting to it. Some modems will give up if the handshake tone disappears but quickly comes back (if it's trying to decide what handshake to use, sometimes it alternates between a couple), it'll give up, so it might take some convincing to work.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!