Photo
- - - - -

Profiling Hackers (an Operation and a book)

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Afterm4th

Afterm4th

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:50 PM

link to project website: http://www.unicri.it..._crimes/hpp.php

Background information
The advances in information and communications technology are a double-edged sword, and as we move into the future, the benefits and costs are rapidly coming into focus. We are now dependent on our technological infrastructure for almost all aspects of our daily lives and this dependence is equally important in the public and private spheres. Air, road, and railway traffic control, electricity and gas grids, wire and mobile telecommunications systems, police and fire dispatch centres, hospitals, government offices and structures controlling national defence and public services are now organised and controlled through the use of computers and advanced IT networks. Within the private sector, banks, stock markets, and other monetary institutions that transfer or handle billions of daily transactions are also built upon integrated computer systems. Such great dependence on information technology has created new forms of vulnerability for modern society, and public and private entities have to face the reality that their technology inf drastructure may be susceptible to attacks.

The project aims to improve the response to ICT crime and the transnational organised crime groups that may be involved in it, by outlining the criminal profiles of the different types of hackers, with particular emphasis on their possible involvement in transnational organised crime activities and cyber-terrorism. Through a better understanding of hackers, HPP will facilitate the prevention and countering of ICT crimes and will improve the operational methods that may lead to the identification of computer intruders.

Whats really disturbing here is that these fuckers are going to profile you BEFORE you even do anything?

Can you say nineteen eighty four?

I am currently reading the book but from the overview it looks like a charter breach to me. Think about it. Go to a hacker convention and you will have a profile set up on you. What a bunch of fucking bullshit.

Profile my nutsack you NWO faggots!

#2 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:47 PM

link to project website: http://www.unicri.it..._crimes/hpp.php

Background information
The advances in information and communications technology are a double-edged sword, and as we move into the future, the benefits and costs are rapidly coming into focus. We are now dependent on our technological infrastructure for almost all aspects of our daily lives and this dependence is equally important in the public and private spheres. Air, road, and railway traffic control, electricity and gas grids, wire and mobile telecommunications systems, police and fire dispatch centres, hospitals, government offices and structures controlling national defence and public services are now organised and controlled through the use of computers and advanced IT networks. Within the private sector, banks, stock markets, and other monetary institutions that transfer or handle billions of daily transactions are also built upon integrated computer systems. Such great dependence on information technology has created new forms of vulnerability for modern society, and public and private entities have to face the reality that their technology inf drastructure may be susceptible to attacks.

The project aims to improve the response to ICT crime and the transnational organised crime groups that may be involved in it, by outlining the criminal profiles of the different types of hackers, with particular emphasis on their possible involvement in transnational organised crime activities and cyber-terrorism. Through a better understanding of hackers, HPP will facilitate the prevention and countering of ICT crimes and will improve the operational methods that may lead to the identification of computer intruders.

Whats really disturbing here is that these fuckers are going to profile you BEFORE you even do anything?

I am currently reading the book but from the overview it looks like a charter breach to me. Think about it. Go to a hacker convention and you will have a profile set up on you. What a bunch of fucking bullshit.

I wonder if binrev will have its own folder in their stack of documents :p

I would see a legitimate purpose for keeping information on known criminals that represent a real threat, but profiling people just because they've got the hacker label on them? Sounds fucking stupid.

#3 tao_of_pi

tao_of_pi

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:10 PM

Them profiling hackers is no different than what the FBI, CIA, ATF, HLS, and DEA do on a regular basis to people they suspect of committing "crimes". And who the hell registers under their real name at a hacker con? Even if you do use your real name, do you really think Emmanuel Goldstein is going to hand over any type of information without being presented with a warrant?

I'm sure their "database" consists of Kevin Mitnick, Emmanuel Goldstein, Albert Gonzalez, Tron, and not much else.

#4 decoder

decoder

Very Friendly

• 1,609 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:35 PM

I'm sure their "database" consists of Kevin Mitnick, Emmanuel Goldstein, Albert Gonzalez, Tron, and not much else.

LOL @ TRON.

Anyway, if we were funded by tax dollars we could probably come up with a profile of these law enforcement guys that would make half of them commit suicide - or, if my profile is accurate, familicide. :thumbup:

Edited by decoder, 19 July 2010 - 08:36 PM.

#5 Afterm4th

Afterm4th

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:48 PM

LOL @ TRON.

Anyway, if we were funded by tax dollars we could probably come up with a profile of these law enforcement guys that would make half of them commit suicide - or, if my profile is accurate, familicide. :thumbup:

TRON likes to rape boys. LOL

#6 zandi

zandi

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:52 PM

how much have you guys read into this? this isn't some kind of secret big-brother datamining operation to generate a profile for everyone who considers themself a "hacker" and load it into a giant database. this is research for the purpose of creating a model TO profile the perpetrator of a crime in order to dispense justice for said crime. check page 35 of this pdf, it lists what i suppose are the separate categories they've come up with so far: http://www.unicri.it...-hackers_en.pdf

and if you don't want to download the pdf, i'll just list them here. they seem pretty accurate to me

• Wannabe Lamer: subjects with a low-competence profile who solicite anyone, even in public
    spaces, various types of help: “Yo! Whatz da best way 2 hack www nasa gov? C’mon tell me man!!!!!”
  • Script kiddie: they aim at weak systems with specific vulnerabilities (known or presumed).
    They are not endowed with great experience or technical skills, so their specialty is to
    use tools made by others to carry out violations which they tend to immediately boast
    about.
  • (sub-category) The “37337 K-rAd iRC #hack o-day exploitz” guy: subjects that would do
    anything to become famous, including using "brutal means" to get where they want to.
    They don't explore, they use what they find already available. They can be dangerous
    because they have tools to exploit 0-day vulnerabilities (unknown weaknesses). Many
    Internet attacks bear their signature
  • Cracker: "hackers" create, "crackers" destroy. Subjects with the know-how who commit really
    harmful actions. They remain in the system as long as they can and, when they think
    they are losing control, "they annul" it (erasing files, logs, etc).
  • Ethical Hacker: subjects with a 360 knowledge of operational systems, endowed with great
    curiosity; they explore other’s PCs, discovering their vulnerabilities and informing the
    owner. They don't act for profit or for fame, but for passion.
  • Quiet, paranoid and skilled hacker: a hacker who is taciturn, paranoid and specialized, who is
    therefore difficult to detect or find. He explores operating systems for a long period,
    without leaving trace or signature. What motivates him is the desire to increase his own
    know-how.
  • Cyber-warrior: a mercenary who sells himself to the best offer, whose abilities have evolved in
    time. Both him and his targets share a low profile: he prefers to attack an Internet
    Service Provider instead of a multinational company. He is not interested in who he hits
    or why: he acts for money or for an ideal. He doesn't usually leave traces. He's smart,
    but not convinced of what he’s doing, so he "feels dirty.“
  • Industrial Spy: he acts for money, he is highly skilled, with a lot of experience, and can be
    dangerous if he's looking for confidential material. Many insiders fall in this category.
  • Government Agent: subjects with a solid hacking background who act for "political and
    economic objectives." They are secret agents who operate in the underground world.
  • Military hacker: hackers serving the Armed Forces (literature and direct knowledge of cases
    from the Core Team during the meetings)

#7 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:35 PM

"hackers" create, "crackers" destroy

wow, i am actually surprised to see the distinction....

regardless.. just about anyone involved in computers could fall into one or more of those categories...

#8 tekio

tekio

5(R1P7 |<1DD13

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:08 AM

Great, now the world police are after haxors. This made me kinda lol.... :tongue:

#9 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:14 AM

Great, now the world police are after haxors. This made me kinda lol.... :tongue:

what was there?

#10 rbcp

rbcp

SUP3R 31337

• Moderating Team
  • 162 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:06 PM

Check out this book I just found on Amazon. This book claims to profile the Digital Dawgpound and many other groups. The book is available and there are even used copies for sale already. Is this the same group of people from that project site? They sure seem to have similar goals.

#11 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:23 PM

Check out this book I just found on Amazon. This book claims to profile the Digital Dawgpound and many other groups. The book is available and there are even used copies for sale already. Is this the same group of people from that project site? They sure seem to have similar goals.

since when is the pla a hacker group?

#12 rbcp

rbcp

SUP3R 31337

• Moderating Team
  • 162 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:40 PM

since when is the pla a hacker group?

I guess they uncovered a hidden level of PLA that not even I know about. I'm going to have to buy the book just to see what's going on with PLA.

#13 resistor X

resistor X

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:01 PM

"hackers" create, "crackers" destroy

wow, i am actually surprised to see the distinction....

regardless.. just about anyone involved in computers could fall into one or more of those categories...

As to your last comment, yeah. That's exactly my thoughts on it. So.... should I be ducking? Imagine a file on me... haha, tis funny.

I don't know if your link was supposed to say "404 not found on server", but I get it anyway. But what can anyone expect from assholez, except shit? <_<

what was there?

I figured it out. Just took the part before "assholez" and surfed to it directly. It goes to :

UNICRI -
United Nations Interregional Crime and Justice Research Institute

The Institute
Crime is a common concern both for governments and citizens across the globe. As crime becomes increasingly internationalized, new forms of crime emerge and organized crime spreads, national responses and international cooperation in the fields of crime prevention and criminal justice must work alongside one another. UNICRI supports governments and the international community at large in tackling the threats of crime to social peace, development and political stability.

UNICRI is United Nations entity established in 1967 to support countries worldwide in crime prevention and criminal justice.

What is UNICRI?
UNICRI is a United Nations entity mandated to assist intergovernmental, governmental and non-governmental organizations in formulating and implementing improved policies in the field of crime prevention and criminal justice. UNICRI' s goals are:

• to advance understanding of crime-related problems
  • to foster just and efficient criminal justice systems
  • to support the respect of international instruments and other standards
  • to facilitate international law enforcement cooperation and judicial assistance.
UNICRI is governed by a Board of Trustees composed of eminent experts. The staff cover a wide range of expertise in the management of research, training, technical cooperation and documentation and are supported by highly qualified consultants selected according to project requirements.

What can UNICRI do?
The programmes of UNICRI aim to promote national self-reliance and the development of institutional capabilities. To this end, UNICRI provides a one-stop facility offering high-level expertise in crime prevention and criminal justice problems. Technical co-operation is enhanced by the use of action-oriented research to assist in the formulation of improved policies and concrete intervention programmes. Institutional and on-the-job training of specialized personnel form an integral part of UNICRI activities.

Areas of Action
With more than 40 years of experience, UNICRI has been structuring its work programmes and modus operandi to make them always responsive to the needs of the international community.

UNICRI' s activities tackle major concerns in the field of crime prevention and criminal justice, such as corruption, security, organized crime (in particular, trafficking of persons as well as illicit drugs and arms). Other areas of intervention are, inter alia, violence, both domestic and in the workplace; environmental- and cyber-crimes; protection of victims and cultural heritage. UNICRI also conducts major programs in criminal justice reform, with a special focus on juvenile justice.

Services Available
Technical cooperation aimed at providing concrete assistance to requesting countries, in close collaboration with regional and national authorities, and in accordance with their self-perceived goals. UNICRI targets, in particular, regions and countries that for various reasons, including the comparative lack of intervention from other potential assisting entities, are more in need of support in the field of crime prevention and criminal justice. Co-operation projects often take a holistic approach, which tackles legislative, enforcement and social aspects, and may include services provided by UNICRI, such as documentation, research and training.

Data gathering and exchange of information on policy options, strategies and practices adopted in different geographical areas and criminal justice systems, through:

• the operation of its international documentation centre,
  • the creation of comparative databases,
  • the assistance in the establishment of criminal justice databases in developing countries,
  • the organization of meetings and seminars.
Promotion and coordination of international and regional research, with special attention to:

• the analysis and assessment of conditions for and consequences of the adoption of national and international criminal justice strategies,
  • the study of major patterns and trends of crime.
Promotion of policy-relevant research at country level, through:

• the analysis and assessment of policy formulation and implementation, including the implementation of the United Nations Conventions and the respect of human rights standards,
  • the establishment of networks between policy-makers, administrators and researchers,
  • the study of national or local crime-related problems in the context of development policies.
Training and educational activities aimed at developing and upgrading professional skills, and favouring exchange of information and cooperation among policy makers, administrators and professionals, in particular by:

• carrying out training courses,
  • developing training curricula, methods and materials, and instructing trainers to use and disseminate them.

Like i said, now I get it.

#14 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• 2,093 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:02 PM

It sucks the book is not available as an ebook, I'd read it just because I'm curious to see what they have to say.

I'm currently reading The Social Organization of the Computer Underground on my kindle, it's a good read.

Does anybody know of a more recent essay similar to The Social Organization of the Computer Underground?

#15 resistor X

resistor X

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:08 PM

It sucks the book is not available as an ebook, I'd read it just because I'm curious to see what they have to say.

I'm currently reading The Social Organization of the Computer Underground on my kindle, it's a good read.

Oh yeah. Your post reminded me that I wanted to say, "rbcp, thanks for mentioning the book. I'll read it but not pay for it. :thumbsup: "

A book mentioning the DDP, eh? Hmmm... Wonder if it'll say anything accurate? Haha, not likely. Probably painting the ole "evil hacker" bologna I presume. I'll read it anyway (for free, then not pay) because my curiosity's got me now.

Edit : Aghaster - good read? I'll read that one too. Thanks for mentioning it.

Edited by resistor X, 21 July 2010 - 06:12 PM.

#16 zandi

zandi

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:12 PM

looks pretty fishy to me. i googled a random sentence in the product description claiming to be an excerpt from the book and came up with this wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia....rsistent_Threat
given that amazon's had a problem with books composed entirely of info scraped from wikipedia, i'd give this book a pass. i'd bet its chapters are just the wikipedia pages for each of those groups and nothing more.

proof: http://www.google.co...ter or internet

#17 resistor X

resistor X

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:26 PM

given that amazon's had a problem with books composed entirely of info scraped from wikipedia, i'd give this book a pass. i'd bet its chapters are just the wikipedia pages for each of those groups and nothing more.

proof: http://www.google.co...ter+or+internet

I clicked that. Plagerism lives!! Figures. So many books are that way, magazine articles, etc.

Thanks for the heads up. Now I'll pass as well though it would've been a free read anyway. No sense wasting my time on plagerism.

#18 zandi

zandi

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:35 PM

also, i think this was the joke:

Not Found

The requested URL /assholez was not found on this server.

Commodore 64 Basic V2 Server at www.unicri.it Port 80

#19 resistor X

resistor X

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:37 PM

also, i think this was the joke:

Not Found

The requested URL /assholez was not found on this server.

Commodore 64 Basic V2 Server at www.unicri.it Port 80

A joke? I presumed it was. That's why i said, "I get it".

#20 lattera

lattera

Underground Shizzleness

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:55 PM

I agree with what zandi said previously. Granted, I haven't read all the slides. But from the twenty-four slides I have read, it looks like it's just diving into the psychology of hackers. It describes who we are (or could be), a history of hacking, and our motives from a criminal investigation point-of-view. I don't think it's trying to profile hackers in a manner similar to what we call "racial profiling." I haven't read the whole PDF, so maybe I'm wrong.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!