• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 resistor X

resistor X

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:21 PM

Hear the news?? Google Voice is now open to everyone in the U.S. and no one needs an invite anymore.

Here's their blog post on this recent change :

Google Voice for Everyone

Google Voice for everyone
Tuesday, June 22, 2010 | 10:00 AM

A little over a year ago, we released an early preview of Google Voice, our web-based platform for managing your communications. We introduced one number to ring all your phones, voicemail that works like email, free calls and text messages to the U.S. and Canada, low-priced international calls and more—the only catch was you had to request and receive an invite to try it out. Today, after lots of testing and tweaking, we’re excited to open up Google Voice to the public, no invitation required.

Bet a lot of people will be glad to hear this news.

Edit : See that?? My quote didn't show up and I've seen this same problem on binrev today where even peoples older posts have these missing - no text visible.

Stank : me thinks something is up (fearing it's another attack on binrev). Check into that please, whatever's wrong.

P.S. Since anything put in quotes isn't showing up, here's what I put in quotes above about Google Voice :

A little over a year ago, we released an early preview of Google Voice, our web-based platform for managing your communications. We introduced one number to ring all your phones, voicemail that works like email, free calls and text messages to the U.S. and Canada, low-priced international calls and more—the only catch was you had to request and receive an invite to try it out. Today, after lots of testing and tweaking, we’re excited to open up Google Voice to the public, no invitation required.

Edited by resistor X, 24 June 2010 - 09:37 PM.

#2 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 01:32 PM

Hear the news?? Google Voice is now open to everyone in the U.S. and no one needs an invite anymore.

Here's their blog post on this recent change :

Google Voice for Everyone

Bet a lot of people will be glad to hear this news.

Edit : See that?? My quote didn't show up and I've seen this same problem on binrev today where even peoples older posts have these missing - no text visible.

Stank : me thinks something is up (fearing it's another attack on binrev). Check into that please, whatever's wrong.

P.S. Since anything put in quotes isn't showing up, here's what I put in quotes above about Google Voice :

thats great news, now all they have to do is to do something with gizmo5... hopefully where i can use GV to make outgoing SIP calls...

EDIT- i thought that the IVR voice sounded different the last few days, i guess this is why...

Edited by nyphonejacks, 25 June 2010 - 01:34 PM.

#3 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:42 PM

if this is the final version of GV then it appears that ANI-F is out with google voice, calling an ANAC after *67 before calling into GV ends up with the ANI reading back your GV number =(

i decided to pick up 2 new GV numbers - i have had only 1 GV number since it was grand central... not too sure what I am going to do with the new numbers, but i got one that has 1337 in the number, and another with my last name in the number...

#4 resistor X

resistor X

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 04:43 PM

if this is the final version of GV then it appears that ANI-F is out with google voice, calling an ANAC after *67 before calling into GV ends up with the ANI reading back your GV number =(

i decided to pick up 2 new GV numbers - i have had only 1 GV number since it was grand central... not too sure what I am going to do with the new numbers, but i got one that has 1337 in the number, and another with my last name in the number...

There. I made your text blue so everyone can see what I'm replying to.

Swell. Google should've left well enough alone. Damnit. Now I'll have to look for other ways to make non-traceable calls.

I would hope/presume that my old GV number still has ANI-F. I'll test it and see and they better not kill it later either.

I have 2 invites I can use in my account in my old GV number. I wonder if I can send these 2 to myself in other email accounts and at least pick up 2 more GV numbers that still have ANI-F. I'll have to test this idea. Hope it works out, then I'll have 3 of them. Wait!! Expanding on this idea, will I be able to get even more GV #'s that have ANI-F if I take the new GV numbers I get from my own invites and send myself 2 more invites from each of those new GV accounts? I'll try it - if they haven't killed this invite option in old GV number accounts, I could end with a collection of these things! :) In other words, with my old GV number I still have 2 invites, so my idea is to use these 2 to send it to myself on other email accounts - this would pick up 2 more invites in each of those 2 GV accounts. Then using those invites, send those to myself and pick up more GV #'s and more invites. Keep this going, I WILL have a collection of these (hopefully) that work like the old GV #'s -nontraceable. That's IF, if, they haven't killed the invite option in these older GV accounts -or if they "plan to", hopefully I can beat it to the punch before it happens.
:D

Edited by resistor X, 01 July 2010 - 04:51 PM.

#5 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:50 PM

Swell. Google should've left well enough alone. Damnit. Now I'll have to look for other ways to make non-traceable calls.

I would hope/presume that my old GV number still has ANI-F. I'll test it and see and they better not kill it later either.

I have 2 invites I can use in my account in my old GV number. I wonder if I can send these 2 to myself in other email accounts and at least pick up 2 more GV numbers that still have ANI-F. I'll have to test this idea. Hope it works out, then I'll have 3 of them. Wait!! Expanding on this idea, will I be able to get even more GV #'s that have ANI-F if I take the new GV numbers I get from my own invites and send myself 2 more invites from each of those new GV accounts? I'll try it - if they haven't killed this invite option in old GV number accounts, I could end with a collection of these things! :) In other words, with my old GV number I still have 2 invites, so my idea is to use these 2 to send it to myself on other email accounts - this would pick up 2 more invites in each of those 2 GV accounts. Then using those invites, send those to myself and pick up more GV #'s and more invites. Keep this going, I WILL have a collection of these (hopefully) that work like the old GV #'s -nontraceable. That's IF, if, they haven't killed the invite option in these older GV accounts -or if they "plan to", hopefully I can beat it to the punch before it happens.

i tried the ANI-F thing with my original GV number.. .there is a thread on here titled something like "op-divert using google voice" that shows when the ANI-F was working and when it was not working... since it is out of beta and now in the public it is my assumption that ANI-F will no longer be making a come back any time soon, with old GC/GV accounts or newer ones...

#6 Skunkworks

Skunkworks

mad 1337

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 12:35 AM

i tried the ANI-F thing with my original GV number.. .there is a thread on here titled something like "op-divert using google voice" that shows when the ANI-F was working and when it was not working... since it is out of beta and now in the public it is my assumption that ANI-F will no longer be making a come back any time soon, with old GC/GV accounts or newer ones...

Hard to say, things have been really variable with GV's ANIFAIL.

It was failing "fine" a couple weeks ago when I tested it out, I think the ANI was 617 at the time. It seemed to be a few different NPAs with no pattern though, I have no idea how the hell their call routing worked.

Of course GV has gone from ANI fails to passing ANI to fails to passing ANI around six or so times over the last year, and despite it being out of beta they are continuing development. So I wouldn't rule out ANI fails coming back in the future.

Also all accounts are the same when it comes to routing calls, if one account is getting an ANI fail they all are, and vice-versa. The age or NPA of the accounts or other factors don't seem to matter.

#7 Skunkworks

Skunkworks

mad 1337

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 01:58 PM

As of this morning Google Voice is again ANIFAILING when you dial through voicemail with a privacy bit.

The ANIs I've gotten have varied, I tried it twice and got 913 and 417.

Afaik the CPN still matches the ANI (meaning the CPN is also three digits), and it is still passing the privacy bit through. I havn't retested the ANI-II, but my guess is it is still set to 00 (POTS) as it always has been.

Weird :blink:

Even weirder, I forgot to log into the web interface on a throwaway account I set up back in october, and despite google having closed the account after nine months of inactivity, the google voice number associated with it still works. Obviously that means your locked out of the web interface for good, but you can still call it to check voicemail, change basic settings and dial out. Google voice has a *lot* of weird quirks to it. :wink:

#8 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 05:13 PM

As of this morning Google Voice is again ANIFAILING when you dial through voicemail with a privacy bit.

Afaik the CPN still matches the ANI (meaning the CPN is also three digits), and it is still passing the privacy bit through. I havn't retested the ANI-II, but my guess is it is still set to 00 (POTS) as it always has been.

Even weirder, I forgot to log into the web interface on a throwaway account I set up back in october, and despite google having closed the account after nine months of inactivity, the google voice number associated with it still works. Obviously that means your locked out of the web interface for good, but you can still call it to check voicemail, change basic settings and dial out. Google voice has a *lot* of weird quirks to it. :wink:

i assume that ANI-F is working for me as well... the MCI and ATT ANAC numbers that i am aware of will not let me call them, they ring at least once, then go busy (this has happened in the past for me as well when i tried to call an ANAC with an ANI-F)

how do they determine an inactive GV account - can i just call the numbers from time to time to keep it active or do i need to log into the account? i just got 2 new GV accounts about a week ago that i am not sure what i am doing with yet, one with my last name in the number, and another with 1337 in the number... how often do i need to log in before they deactivate the account?

similar thing recently happened with my magicjack account - it has been inactive for about 2 years, but up until recently i was able to log into the account and change the number that it forwarded to (giving me a free inbound number, or allowing me to call numbers blocked from GV by having the MJ forward to the number that i want to call, and then calling that number from my GV account) but calling the number still appears to work...

#9 Skunkworks

Skunkworks

mad 1337

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:22 PM

i assume that ANI-F is working for me as well... the MCI and ATT ANAC numbers that i am aware of will not let me call them, they ring at least once, then go busy (this has happened in the past for me as well when i tried to call an ANAC with an ANI-F)

how do they determine an inactive GV account - can i just call the numbers from time to time to keep it active or do i need to log into the account? i just got 2 new GV accounts about a week ago that i am not sure what i am doing with yet, one with my last name in the number, and another with 1337 in the number... how often do i need to log in before they deactivate the account?

similar thing recently happened with my magicjack account - it has been inactive for about 2 years, but up until recently i was able to log into the account and change the number that it forwarded to (giving me a free inbound number, or allowing me to call numbers blocked from GV by having the MJ forward to the number that i want to call, and then calling that number from my GV account) but calling the number still appears to work...

You have to log into the web interface, not just use the phone number. They mark accounts inactive after six months of no logins, and delete them after another three months. Same as gmail, if your gmail goes, so do all your google accounts.

#10 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 07:48 PM

You have to log into the web interface, not just use the phone number. They mark accounts inactive after six months of no logins, and delete them after another three months. Same as gmail, if your gmail goes, so do all your google accounts.

funny, i have been trying to figure out how to get into my youtube account that i forgot the password for that the email address points to a domain that i no longer own (i think) that has not been logged into since 2006, yet it still seems "active" but google is no help in helping me to recover the password... and i have tried every password that i can remember using. i dont want to register the several domain names that i had at the time (if they are even available) just to get back into my old youtube account...

so all that is required is a log in? should not be too hard to log into those extra GV accounts around once a month or so just to keep them going..

dont use gmail - for the same reason as the youtube account - since it is "unavailable" i can not register it, or try a password recovery on it... just tried emailing google about this again, since you brought it up...

#11 resistor X

resistor X

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:37 PM

Leaving an FYI -

ANIFAIL is not working as of right now, on old GV #'s. I just tested it against several ANACS. This was tested when calling through my Qwest land line.

Date of this post, for reference is : 7-21-2010, 8:35pm EST.

Edited by resistor X, 21 July 2010 - 07:39 PM.

#12 Kayara

Kayara

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:30 PM

GV has also taken away the "fake" ring, and now does not supervise until GV answers. This is cool for those who don't want to waste minutes, but not so cool if you want to check your google voicemail from another phone. I used to press star during the old "fake" ring and enter my access code. Not anymore.

I still get a "fake" ring when making an outgoing GV call however, and still cannot get through to a number that doesn't answer.

#13 Skunkworks

Skunkworks

mad 1337

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:39 PM

GV has also taken away the "fake" ring, and now does not supervise until GV answers. This is cool for those who don't want to waste minutes, but not so cool if you want to check your google voicemail from another phone. I used to press star during the old "fake" ring and enter my access code. Not anymore.

I still get a "fake" ring when making an outgoing GV call however, and still cannot get through to a number that doesn't answer.

Pressing * during your voicemail greeting should prompt you for your PIN to access voicemail.

It will be interesting to see if they ever make it possible to connect to numbers that aren't supervising.

I'd still give them a few months with no ANIFAIL before I call it permanent, they've flip-flopped a good dozen times or so on it now.

#14 Seymour-Birkoff

Seymour-Birkoff

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:22 AM

Well I just got a local number from Google, I love how I can call someone, it will call the number I have listed as my home number, and then connect me to the person I want too call !!! LOL What else is Google gonna do now ???

#15 invalid_route

invalid_route

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:48 AM

As of now it seems that ANI fail is working again :-) wonder how long it'll last this time

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!