#1 Famicoman

Famicoman

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 02:25 AM

I made something of a video show which you can check out here,
http://obsoleet.noobelodeon.org/
The aim of the thing is basically retro technology mixed in with whatever I feel like.
It isn't the best, but it is better than nothing, and it makes me happy. That said, it is still a work in progress. I'm still toying with how I shoot, and apparently I seem tense on camera, so I'm working on ways to improve the flow of the episodes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Episode List so Far:
Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4
Episode 5
Episode 6
Episode 7

Edited by Famicoman, 14 February 2011 - 05:37 PM.

#2 lattera

lattera

Underground Shizzleness

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:22 PM

Nice show. i really like it. Good job and keep it coming.

#3 vulture

vulture

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 03:39 AM

The aim of the thing is basically retro technology mixed in with whatever I feel like.
It isn't the best, but it is better than nothing, and it makes me happy. That said, it is still a work in progress. I'm still toying with how I shoot, and apparently I seem tense on camera, so I'm working on ways to improve the flow of the episodes.

Looks great, shows lots of potential as an Indy tech show.
Keep at it man .

#4 sojourner

sojourner

H4x0r

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:09 AM

didn't seem tense at all and if these are your first episodes then I expect this show to be friggin nice in the near future!

#5 Famicoman

Famicoman

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:23 PM

Thanks for the positive feedback everybody. I hope to be doing more soon and if all goes well I'm getting some new stuff to play with soon. Look for a new episode in a few weeks. Cheers!

#6 Famicoman

Famicoman

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:36 PM

Episode three has been completed!
http://obsoleet.noob...leet-episode-03
Thanks for all the support, guys :)

#7 Famicoman

Famicoman

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:07 PM

I figure I'd keep bumping this thread with updates instead of making a new one.

Episode 4 is available now, http://obsoleet.noob...leet-episode-04

Also, I forgot to mention that everyone who commented here got a shout out in episode three.

Thanks again, everyone!

#8 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:38 AM

Also, I forgot to mention that everyone who commented here got a shout out in episode three.

Thanks again, everyone!

Pretty cool.. I never messed with Laser disks but found that really interesting.

Just going from memory here..

The cd synchro function would let you record CD tracks to a cassette tape. If the cassette hit the end while a song was still playing it'd wait until the tape flipped over and was ready to record, then restart the currently playing CD track at the beginning and resume recording.
I think my CD player also had a mode where it'd rearrange the tracks so it'd fit better on the two sides of whatever size of tape you had.

If you already knew this, I apologize... It seemed like you weren't clear on what it did.

#9 Famicoman

Famicoman

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:34 PM

Thanks again, everyone!

Pretty cool.. I never messed with Laser disks but found that really interesting.

Just going from memory here..

The cd synchro function would let you record CD tracks to a cassette tape. If the cassette hit the end while a song was still playing it'd wait until the tape flipped over and was ready to record, then restart the currently playing CD track at the beginning and resume recording.
I think my CD player also had a mode where it'd rearrange the tracks so it'd fit better on the two sides of whatever size of tape you had.

If you already knew this, I apologize... It seemed like you weren't clear on what it did.

I didn't know that, it sounds like a nifty feature though. I actually had trouble reading the word "synchro."

#10 decoder

decoder

Very Friendly

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:29 AM

I'm watching ep 4 right now.. this show is fucking awesome, I love the old tech!

#11 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:51 PM

I'm watching ep 4 right now.. this show is fucking awesome, I love the old tech!

awesome show - i just watched all 4 episodes... was going to email you about the dials on your betamax player being to fine tune the push button channels but i see in episode that you already found out about that - unfortunately with television going all digital you won't be able to play with that feature much (unless your cable company still broadcasts in analog)

#12 Famicoman

Famicoman

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 10:41 PM

Episode 05 - http://obsoleet.noob...leet-episode-05

Thanks for all the input, guys! I gave out some shout-outs in the credits to those here who were kind enough to comment.

#13 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 12:00 PM

Episode 05 - http://obsoleet.noob...leet-episode-05

Thanks for all the input, guys! I gave out some shout-outs in the credits to those here who were kind enough to comment.

nice..

i see you said you were going to discuss marcovision or whatever the copy protection to prevent recording of copy protected media...
i bypassed copy protection by adding an RF modulator between the source and the recording device..
i first tried this with a direcTV DVR box that would not allow me to record to DVD-R, but i have also done it to convert VHS to DVD-R... so i assume that the RF modulator strips the protection, or somehow prevents it from passing... if you were to do a segment on copy protection, this might be something that you could explore for a segment...

like the multi camera angles... it seems to increase the production value

#14 Famicoman

Famicoman

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 05:49 PM

i see you said you were going to discuss marcovision or whatever the copy protection to prevent recording of copy protected media...
i bypassed copy protection by adding an RF modulator between the source and the recording device..
i first tried this with a direcTV DVR box that would not allow me to record to DVD-R, but i have also done it to convert VHS to DVD-R... so i assume that the RF modulator strips the protection, or somehow prevents it from passing... if you were to do a segment on copy protection, this might be something that you could explore for a segment...

Thats pretty interesting as I have never heard of that as a way to strip macrovision. I've been using digital stabilizers and I've looked into other methods like Time Base Correctors, camcorder pass-through, and a bunch of hokey stuff like certain brands of those RCA 5-input switches. I think I might be able to test this by rigging a few VCRs together with coax and having one VCR for input and another for output, or maybe your modulator just happens to strip protection out of chance. I will definitely mention it.

#15 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:41 PM

Thats pretty interesting as I have never heard of that as a way to strip macrovision. I've been using digital stabilizers and I've looked into other methods like Time Base Correctors, camcorder pass-through, and a bunch of hokey stuff like certain brands of those RCA 5-input switches. I think I might be able to test this by rigging a few VCRs together with coax and having one VCR for input and another for output, or maybe your modulator just happens to strip protection out of chance. I will definitely mention it.

i never read this method anywhere before, i just took a chance, not understanding the copy protection at all... i just assumed that the protection was an added signal added to the output that the modulator either did not need, so did not use, or i thought also that maybe the signal is digital, and since the RF modulator only needs to pass an analog signal it did not encode/decode the digital signal not too sure...

i used an RF modulator that i got from radio shack when i did this... not too sure if the one i have in the living room to stream my cable box to the rest of the house is the one that i used, or if it is one i picked up at a thrift store when i bought a 2500 set for $5 for the phone and modulator... not too sure if it would work with using a VCR as a modulator... but use what you got on hand... looks like you have plenty of VCRs around... you should try to pick up an RF modulator to play around with... or i might be able to donate the extra one i picked up for shipping $...

#16 Famicoman

Famicoman

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:23 PM

i never read this method anywhere before, i just took a chance, not understanding the copy protection at all... i just assumed that the protection was an added signal added to the output that the modulator either did not need, so did not use, or i thought also that maybe the signal is digital, and since the RF modulator only needs to pass an analog signal it did not encode/decode the digital signal not too sure...

i used an RF modulator that i got from radio shack when i did this... not too sure if the one i have in the living room to stream my cable box to the rest of the house is the one that i used, or if it is one i picked up at a thrift store when i bought a 2500 set for $5 for the phone and modulator... not too sure if it would work with using a VCR as a modulator... but use what you got on hand... looks like you have plenty of VCRs around... you should try to pick up an RF modulator to play around with... or i might be able to donate the extra one i picked up for shipping $...

Funny enough I think I do actually have an old radio shack RF modulator that needs some resoldering since (if I remember correctly) one of the RCA connectors broke loose. I bet I have enough ways to figure out if this does the trick.

From what I have heard, the copy protection is stored in the same part of the video signal that holds subtitles (and teletext if my friend from across the pond is right). Usually any device that strips protection will also take subtitles with it. So I wonder if using the modulator takes the subtitles away or not. It might also very well have to do with some sort of digital->analog conversion.

Definitely something to toy with.

#17 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:18 PM

From what I have heard, the copy protection is stored in the same part of the video signal that holds subtitles (and teletext if my friend from across the pond is right). Usually any device that strips protection will also take subtitles with it. So I wonder if using the modulator takes the subtitles away or not. It might also very well have to do with some sort of digital->analog conversion.

Definitely something to toy with.

i rarely use subtitles, do not have anything set up now to test it on my own... but i was thinking more on the lines of the digital>analog thing...

#18 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:38 PM

hey i just picked up an atari 2600 with about 14-15 games at a thrift shop - with all of the manuals, including the manual for the system... for some reason it is not working, i need to do some troubleshooting... it did not come with the source selector switch, but a quick search online showed that an RCA to F adapter could be used to connect directly into the antenna jack on the back of the TV... i think that the power adapter is broken, but i do not have a meter right now to check it out, so i guess i will figure this out in a few days...

but i was thinking that since i just got this awesome obsoleet gaming system, as well as an NES and sega genesis i might be able to put together a guest segment for a future episode - or if you have some old gaming systems perhaps you could do a segment on them... it might be a while before i get a chance to mess around with figuring out what is wrong with this system, so i do not want to promise you anything.. but just something that crossed my mind after i purchased it...

#19 Famicoman

Famicoman

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 02:33 PM

I have a ton of old gaming consoles, and I've been planning on doing segments about them for a while. However, a guest segment would be definitely be awesome and maybe even a way to get me to start digging up some of my old collection. So if you're interested, I guess you can send me a PM and we'll go from there. School is already starting to take up my free time this semester, and any sort of collaboration could ease some of the problems with finding time to film that I have.

#20 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 03:45 PM

I have a ton of old gaming consoles, and I've been planning on doing segments about them for a while. However, a guest segment would be definitely be awesome and maybe even a way to get me to start digging up some of my old collection. So if you're interested, I guess you can send me a PM and we'll go from there. School is already starting to take up my free time this semester, and any sort of collaboration could ease some of the problems with finding time to film that I have.

my camera is not that great... but i will see if i have some free time to put something together.. i guess i can do something with out the Atari working, but i would prefer to get it working, i have not had time to figure out what is wrong with it yet...

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!