• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#21 vulture

vulture

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:36 AM

I'm starting to wonder if its normal for geeks to have this much enterprise iron laying around on a home network lol

Surplus is magical! I've got a 7 foot standard equipment rack in the basement, populated with a 96-port patch panel, several switches, a 4U server case, several 1U ATX cases, a 1.25 kW UPS, some Cobalt RaQ hardware and cable management panels. It's impressive, but the whole mess probably cost me less than $250 over the years.

I've got a Netra T1 I might get running again...I've been looking into colo facilities in the area, and you can get a 1U device colocated for around $50/month.

Sounds bad ass. I mostly have a stack of older Sun Sparc and Cisco gear with a few random intel servers here and there. Colo prices fluctuate depending on the region you're in.
Eventually I will start transferring my private hosting one offs to a new colo , but I'm so picky about colo hosts. For one I don't want a colo host that charges out the ass for bandwidth
and extra Us. An ideal colo setup for me would be a total of 4us. 1 1ru server, 1 cisco asa 5510 or similar 1ru firewall 1ru das array and yet another 1 ru reserved for a future secondary backend server .
(hell maybe a smart power switch for remote hard power-cyles too)

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!