• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TheFunk

TheFunk

SUP3R 31337

• Binrev Financier
  • 187 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 11:07 AM

This is a fairly noobish question so go easy. My wireless card (Rosewill RNX N300) used to work perfectly fine with BT4 pre final however now that I have BT4 Final, wicd can't find any wireless networks. I've checked iwconfig and it recognizes that I have a wireless connection, and to make sure the card was being recognized I used the lspci command. Everything seems to check out alright, so is this just wicd's issue or am I missing something extremely obvious here? I'd love to be able to throw this ethernet cable back in my dresser drawer :blink:

#2 phr34kc0der

phr34kc0der

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 02:04 PM

Is the wireless device up?

ifconfig <interface> up

#3 m3747r0n

m3747r0n

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 04:05 PM

You did run
/etc/init.d/wicd start
?

Edited by m3747r0n, 30 May 2010 - 04:05 PM.

#4 TheFunk

TheFunk

SUP3R 31337

• Binrev Financier
  • 187 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:55 AM

Yes the device was up, and I started wicd by just clicking on the icon in the kmenu, don't see how that makes much of a difference, but I could try starting it from the terminal.

#5 SchippStrich

SchippStrich

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:51 PM

Yes the device was up, and I started wicd by just clicking on the icon in the kmenu, don't see how that makes much of a difference, but I could try starting it from the terminal.

I believe that /etc/init.d/wicd is the actual service. When you choose wicd from the KDE menu you are launching the client.

#6 TheFunk

TheFunk

SUP3R 31337

• Binrev Financier
  • 187 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 06:18 PM

So I finally got around to working with BackTrack some more this week, I started the wicd service from the terminal first this time, no dice though.

#7 TheFunk

TheFunk

SUP3R 31337

• Binrev Financier
  • 187 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:52 AM

*Bump*

So as an update, I managed to connect to my network on another machine that was doing the same thing, instead of using the WEP passphrase that I generally use to connect any of my machines to the internet, I found and used one of our WEP keys, and changed the encryption type in the menu to WEP(HEX). Just in case there are any others out there having a similar problem, it's a simple fix, just don't use a passphrase to connect use a key. :)

With that good news I decided to try getting backtrack and wireless working on my box with the Rosewill card once again, this time no wireless networks are showing. I think I've found the actual problem. I'm using one of the Ralink STA drivers, I believe this card is meant to be run using the rt2860 driver but I can't find a version of that patched for injection. BT4 pre-final seemed to think that the rt2500 worked fine instead. So the question is, could it be the driver?

Some outputs:

lspci:
yadayadayada....05:05.0 Network controller: RaLink RT2760 Wireless 802.11n 1T/2R Cardbus
yes i know it says 2760, but every other linux distro i use used the 2860

iwconfig:
ra0       Ralink STA  ESSID:""  Nickname:""
          Mode:Auto  Frequency=2.412 GHz  Bit Rate=1 Mb/s
          RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Link Quality=10/100  Signal level:0 dBm  Noise level:-87 dBm
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

and then when I try to put the wireless interface up i get this
ifconfig ra0 up
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Operation not permitted

Suggestions anyone?

#8 oODigiXOo

oODigiXOo

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 01:28 PM

Looks like you should be using the rt2860 driver.

http://linux-wless.passys.nl

It also looks like the staging driver for the kernel has been included since 2.6.29-rc1 so I would think the driver could be the problem.

#9 corstar

corstar

the 0ne

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:44 AM

I used to use wicd under arch for some time, it was great for my home network but ran into these kind of errors on the road.
I just use NetworkManager now.

But a little searching and i found this

http://ubuntuforums....p/t-780422.html

Basically it calls for the installation of b43-fwcutter drivers.

Good luck

Edited by corstar, 15 September 2010 - 09:46 AM.

#10 tekio

tekio

5(R1P7 |<1DD13

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:08 PM

OMG, I just had this problem with the Ralink 2860 on BT4 Final earlier today. Yes, it is a driver issue, I'm pretty sure. After screwing with it for about 20minutes I just popped in a ubiqiti w/ an Atheros chipset and it worked like a charm.

I think it is because BT4 final reverted to older Ralink drivers because of injection problems. And some of the 2860's (like mine) support 5.8Ghz as well as the 2.4Ghz spectrum which is not supported by older Ralink drivers, like the RT73 drivers. I just speculate because my RT 73 now injects w/o a hitch (had problems on BT4 beta), and the RT73 and 2860 are totally different chipsets.

#11 amasan

amasan

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 01:33 AM

well tl;dr so if this is solved my appologies... if the device is recognized in lspci it doesn't mean you have the drivers installed for it... if you can run iwconfig eth0 or wlan0 up (whatever the interface was assigned) try running the command iwlist scan and see if it works if it does you can manually try to connect to the internet now. use the information gathered in iwlist scan to configure you connection with iwconfig. good luck! if you are missing the driver just google around and try to find the one that supports your card. if all fails you can always default to using ndiswrapper to run the windows driver for your card.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!