• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:32 PM

I posted like 4 months ago asking about support for my driver in linux. I have a linksys wmp110 and no luck getting it working. Anyone know for a good internal pci wireless card that will be supported out of the box for linux? Any brand is good, preferably not requiring extra power seeing i am running 800 watts PS and almost all used. I have a net gear usb that i am going to try to get working, but i feel that internal is better. Call me crazy. Any help is much appreciated. Also i tried ubuntu vs kubuntu and debian and no luck still.

Thanks
~5imp7y

Oh also i tried to use ndiswrapper with out any luck...

#2 simone

simone

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 04:14 PM

I posted like 4 months ago asking about support for my driver in linux. I have a linksys wmp110 and no luck getting it working. Anyone know for a good internal pci wireless card that will be supported out of the box for linux? Any brand is good, preferably not requiring extra power seeing i am running 800 watts PS and almost all used. I have a net gear usb that i am going to try to get working, but i feel that internal is better. Call me crazy. Any help is much appreciated. Also i tried ubuntu vs kubuntu and debian and no luck still.

Thanks
~5imp7y

Oh also i tried to use ndiswrapper with out any luck...

I've installed ubuntu 9.10 last week on a friend's pc, he has a 3com wireless, tomorrow i'll tell you exactly the model if you're interested, it runs without any pain, otherwise i personally use a usb edimax EW-7711UMn it's shipped also with linux drivers or you can get them on the site and it runs perfectly on ubuntu and debian.

#3 frogbong

frogbong

mad 1337

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:52 PM

I have a D-Link DWL-G520 PCI wireless card and it runs with ubuntu 9.10 or kubuntu 9.10 with no problems whatsoever.

#4 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 10:04 PM

Ok Really funny story, i hope you all get as much a kick out of this as i did. Sitting here at my desk frustrated with my new os and the whole no wireless thing i reach into my drawer (on my desk...) for a cig and found a netgear wmp110 sumthing usb wireless adapter. I figured it couldn't hurt to give it a try and next thing you know i freaking have internet haha. What are the chances.
I guess i got lucky, But still thanks to everyone who fallowed me through my endever. Next question haha:

How do i install the flash driver for konqueror? Apparently adobe offers it, but where so i put the lib it gives me. For some reason kubuntu wants to open it, but it is a .lib and cannot be opened? People are telling me to get firefox, but i am not ready to install anything crazy yet. Any ideas?

Thanks again to everyone and my desk!

#5 frogbong

frogbong

mad 1337

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 10:11 PM

If I were you I would install firefox.

#6 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 10:36 PM

If I were you I would install firefox.

ok ok i will install firefox,

Another question. Any idea when ventrilo will be supported? I saw that it was in dev, but still not seeing it and i dont really wanna mess with wine right now :-/

#7 frogbong

frogbong

mad 1337

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:25 PM

I don't know anything about when it'll be done. You might try the forums.

#8 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:17 PM

Hmm Ok i checked it no realese date the "flag" guy said. Anyone wanna write an Idiot proff tut on how to install all the proper library and how to install wine to emulate and use ventrilo?

#9 frogbong

frogbong

mad 1337

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:23 AM

This might help. Btw teamspeak has a linux client.

#10 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:51 AM

This might help. Btw teamspeak has a linux client.

I hate teamspeak, plus no one that i know uses it. I have been to that thread before, but i am not sure how to do all that stuff like add a directory and such. I have had a working version of linux for like 3 days now. I dont even know how to install stuff without a gui. I just downloaded the guided for ubuntu. it is the same for kubuntu right?

How do i install those packages with the code provided. Hod do i add an extra repository and what is a repository.
I think i know how to make a directory. I just out that code into terminal right?
mkdir ~/ventrilo
cd ~/ventrilo
cabextract /path/to/ventrilo-2.2.0-Windows-i386.exe
How do i nav to the file i need to edit and where do i put that line of code the tut says to add.

Other than that i might be able to get it :-/

Sorry i am a noob like i said. I have no clue how to use this os yet. Only thing i figured out is that just installing a program doesnt always work, you need .lib and all sorts of other stuff. Not sure if this os is for me, but i am going to still give it a chance. But very challenging it is.

Mybe ill go to TS cause everyone that replies says it is EXTREAMLY cpu intensive, and i dont really feel like doing all that crap to get a program running.

After looking around i also find that Ventrilo will never be realesed for Linux because the coder(s) want to protect their code.

Reading up a little info on the subject, but the more i search the more i see that people dont like ubuntu and kubuntu. Why? Because they are apparently sell outs? Debian is voted the best and i instantly got rid of debian cause it is to hard :-(
Sources:
http://kubuntuguide.org/Karmic

Edited by 5imp7y, 28 April 2010 - 10:03 AM.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!