• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Binary_Lulz

Binary_Lulz

elite

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:05 PM

Sorry this is only mildly *nix related but it's one of those things that only someone with a deep knowledge of linux would know the answer to...

So I have a Lenovo X201, I just put Ubuntu on it. (Had to use the alt install since the main USB image wasn't working... no CD drive )

When it had Windows 7 stock on, it was running fine. Now, it is randomly freezing within a few minutes of booting up. It might be related to using the mouse, if I just have it sitting downloading stuff via apt-get it works fine, but if I'm browsing the web or anything it tends to freeze after a couple minutes. (Currently via ethernet, still working on getting wifi working)|

If anyone has any ideas on what could be wrong, or even ideas for mailing lists/forums to look for help on (I think Ubuntu forum would direct me to a lenovo forum and vice versa...)

This is really killing me, I'd like to at least be able to figure out if it's a hardware issue or not (which I doubt since the Windows 7 install didn't experience any issues in the brief time I was using it)

#2 mungewell

mungewell

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 376 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:27 PM

When it had Windows 7 stock on, it was running fine. Now, it is randomly freezing within a few minutes of booting up. It might be related to using the mouse, if I just have it sitting downloading stuff via apt-get it works fine, but if I'm browsing the web or anything it tends to freeze after a couple minutes. (Currently via ethernet, still working on getting wifi working)|

Sounds like a problem with the graphics chipset/X driver. Looks like the X201 has Intel HD GMA, which apparently has issues in the recent past.
http://www.uluga.ubu...d.php?t=1402612

Which version of Ubuntu are you running?

Re WIFI:
Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 : supported by the iwlagn driver
Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 : supported by the iwlagn driver

Mungewell.

#3 Binary_Lulz

Binary_Lulz

elite

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:58 PM

Sounds like a problem with the graphics chipset/X driver. Looks like the X201 has Intel HD GMA, which apparently has issues in the recent past.
http://www.uluga.ubu...d.php?t=1402612

Which version of Ubuntu are you running?

Re WIFI:
Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 : supported by the iwlagn driver
Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 : supported by the iwlagn driver

Mungewell.

Oh man, thanks for the wifi help, thinkwiki had instructions on how to enable wifi, I appreciate the help...

As for version, I am running 9.10, I can get the exact output of uname if you need it, but it is the stock amd64 alt install of ubuntu 9.10...

Should I consider the beta Lynx instead? I see it's going live in 9 days. (On the other hand, 9.10 is _mostly_ working after lots of blood, sweat, and tears, so I'm very hesitant to wipe and install a different version when I'm so close)

Either way, thanks a ton for the help so far, that wifi tip alone was extremely useful!

#4 MrFluffy

MrFluffy

HACK THE PLANET!

• Validating
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 04:24 AM

when you reboot are you checking what the last entries in the logs are? they usually have some clues in there after a box has gone titsup.

/var/log/messages (or /var/log/messages.x) /var/log/dmesg.old /var/log/Xorg.1.log are probably the usual candidates to check first. Depending on how the system is configured, it will rotate the log and start a new one at reboot, so if thats the case you need to be looking at the older rotated log post reboot rather than the .log variant.

You could also run a small script in the backgroud to capture some info for when it locks up to see what the memory,cpu, idle wait state etc was doing at the moment before lockup when you reboot. Just doing a top>/tmp/top.log has pointed me to a bad drive a few times in the past when Ive had a awkward problem, as if its encrypted the real clue is the % wait state goes through the roof while the system waits for the failing io to happen...

If you suspect a particular daemon, debugging info can usually be enabled for that case, or if it core dumps, they can be handy things too (but contain lots of info leakage, so dont post one to anyone you dont trust and as it says here somewhere trust nobody, to take a look at).

Mungewell's link sounds like the culprit, but checking of logs always helps. Good habit to get into longer term too.

#5 mungewell

mungewell

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• 376 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:50 PM

Should I consider the beta Lynx instead? I see it's going live in 9 days. (On the other hand, 9.10 is _mostly_ working after lots of blood, sweat, and tears, so I'm very hesitant to wipe and install a different version when I'm so close)

Either way, thanks a ton for the help so far, that wifi tip alone was extremely useful!

I'd suggest getting a copy of the beta2 or wait a few more days for the RC and try that as a 'live CD'. If the problem is solved with that, then you can either install that from CD or just wait a week or so (till 29th) and do a 'distro upgrade' on what you already have.

Mungewell.

#6 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• 2,093 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:50 PM

I'm curious, I see iwlagn mentionned, which intel wireless card do you have? I have some issues with the intel 5100 when used with encryption. I have to disable hardware encryption because it's faulty for some reason.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!